tuscl

So am I reviewing all these reviews for free or can I expect some sort of compen

Liwet
If she walks away smiling, you spent too much.
I can't keep moderating these reviews if my VIP status expires.

40 comments

• chessmaster
    6 years ago
    As long as you go to at least one strip club a month, you can write a review every month. Even if it's the same club(s). Look at mbd or w/e his name is...
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    it's the least you can do for all the knowledge you have gained here from Juice and SJG
  • founder
    6 years ago
    What do you think is a fair trade? A free VIP day for each review?
  • Liwet
    6 years ago
    I don't know how the reviews are being assigned to me or if everyone has access to the same set but maybe give a month after reading through a certain number of reviews.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @founder I was sort of expecting someone to start this, it’s stupid , if you don’t want to read and vote on them, just don’t nobody’s forcing you to.
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    ^Right. All you SOB's do is complain, complain, complain...

And stop complaining about the quality of reviews if you don't want to read and vote on them you lazy bums

• rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Idk, but if one does not club often enough to generate 12 reviews per year, then maybe he is not the best person to be judging other members' reviews in the first place. Sorry if I sound like an A-hole for saying that, but there it is.
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    "Sorry if I sound like an A-hole"

Don't worry about it, you always come across that way
  • Longball300
    6 years ago
    Hey, some of us are very busy. Reading and approving the reviews does take time; the same time I could be writing a review. I go to clubs a lot more than the number of reviews I write and several times I lump more than one visit (or clubs) into a single "review". Bottom line: Yes, I think you should get VIP time for publishing services; a day or two per review sounds fair.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Grumpiest = Liwet
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    If founder does decide to compensate, I think a day per review is too much. Maybe a day for every five reviews. Yes, it takes some effort but it’s not all that big of a deal.
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    I'm a bit worried about compensating for voting on reviews. Doesn't that just move the issue? We have people half assing reviews to get VIP time, if the people who review them are in it for the same thing we're not fixing the issue.

I had hoped that community reviewed reviews would up the quality, and its probably to soon to tell, but I've still seen some poor reviews getting published.
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    I don’t think much in the way of compensation is necessary. For one thing, I think many would just rubber stamp a yes or no in each review they see just to get the VIP.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    If you start compensating voters with VIP time, beware of unintended consequences. Some people could start writing less reviews because they are able to maintain VIP through another avenue. You could even have some who stop writing reviews altogether and instead maintain VIP by constantly patrolling those of other members.

So in a nutshell, those least qualified to opine on the reviews of others, because they write less of them and perhaps visit clubs less frequently, will be the ones most motivated to vote.

If Livet wants to retain the right to judge the reviews of others then there is a simple solution: Just write a freakin' review, preferably one based upon a recent club visit. ;).
  • s275ironman
    6 years ago
    Like many others here, I don’t have time to read each and every review that gets submitted, and therefore I feel no obligation to vote on every single review. I will check a couple times a day and read a few and then vote. I am selective. I scroll past several reviews and mostly read reviews on clubs close to where I live, or clubs that interest me.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    As the others stated, giving free VIP for publishing reviews kinda puts us back to square one.

If one already enjoyed reading reviews in the past of clubs of interest, then onis still doing the same thing with the addition of just adding a comment.

You don't have to publish reviews of clubs that si not interest you in the first place.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I'm sticking with just what I know about and have an interest in. I'm not reading or voting on any others except obvious examples of being too short. I don't need any compensation for reading them. I've already been reading them for years for my own pleasure and information.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I was against giving free VIP for writing reviews in the first place b/c it leads to a barrage of completely shit reviews, so giving free VIP for publishing can lead to the same shit.

Seems it would be much simpler to do away with VIP altogether and make it like Yelp or Amazon where one reads and writes reviews b/c they want to not b/c they're getting something out of it, this I think would lead to better written reviews w/o having to deal with so much overhead and drama - although I imagine it may cut down the supply of reviews but it may not be too bad and the reviews left may be of better quality overall - Founder could add a banner on the reviews page urging folks to contribute reviews if they enjoy reading them.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    When I posted doing away with VIP I meant everyone could read and write reviews w/o a need for VIP (like Yelp and Amazon)
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    No. Just no.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    @Papi

"When I posted doing away with VIP I meant everyone could read and write reviews w/o a need for VIP (like Yelp and Amazon)"

Wasn't this site like that until a few years ago?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    How about the number of reviews reviewed show up on your profile, like comments, discussions, trusts, ...
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Idk Papi. Why should founder give his content away for free when he has subscribers willing to pay for it?

Also, I agree with your assessment that review numbers will go down, but disagree with your view regarding quality improvement. If anything, I think that a much higher % of reviews will be club ads disguised as reviews as club management will be among the most motivated to post when there is nothing to be gained by anyone else for doing so.

I really like the current system tbh, especially now that VIPs have a say in what gets published. I have said no to maybe 15 reviews in the past week and only one ended up getting published. The 14 (or so) that didn't make it included 4 reviews that were way too explicit with respect to dancers and services, 3 that were shameless club ads and the rest just garbage attempts at VIP grabs. In fact, I am already seeing a marked improvement in the quality of reviews that are being published vs. the daily review listings that we were seeing even two weeks ago.
  • lolruned
    6 years ago
    Don't give VIP for helping reviews get published. That is silly
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    I think I'm with Rick. I like the current system. There's ways it could be improved with minor tweaks, but I don't think anything drastic like removing the whole VIP to see reviews dynamic is a good idea.

I haven't noticed the improvement in reviews, but probably not fair as I'm really only basing it off seeing a few shitty ones getting through. We had the discussion about what a "good" review was, but I don't think we've had a lot of discussion on what's "good enough" to get published and/or earn free VIP. There's a bunch that I don't vote on either way because they're simply not that useful, not obvious crap but obviously lacking in a lot of ways.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    Agree with dolfan theres a bunch of reviews i dont vote at all because they aren't "good" nor complete shit. Also agree with rick this publishing format is much better. Giving free vip for voting yes/no would do no good.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    It’s really kind of a no brainer, if you don’t want to participate just don’t, I like participating so I will. IDGAF if anyone else does or not I will continue to read the reviews of the clubs that I am familiar with and vote for most that don’t come across as shill reviews or obvious fakes.
    The more the merrier I say!
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Dolfan, I hear what you're saying. For me it is a balancing act. I want to keep the worst of the worst off while not setting the bar so high that others are discouraged from contributing club intel.

Your comment about a recent Tootsie's review is a great case in point. I agree wholeheartedly that it was a pretty crappy review. But at least it was additive as it let us know that the club was dead and the girls were unmotivated during the day and time that he visited. So I would have held my nose and voted yes if I had seen that one as I believe that someone else could have found the information to be useful.

On the flip side, as I mentioned above, I have now participated in keeping 14 shit reviews from being posted. I'm sure other crap reviews were also rejected by other members. Just two weeks ago, most of those reviews would have made it through. So from my perspective, the quality factor has already gone up just through the exclusion of a % of the crap.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^BTW I am noticing a bit of improvement in the quality of the reviews, maybe it’s temporary due to the new system but I hope it lasts.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    This VIP stuff to read reviews seems to be in contrast to most of the web, but maybe the argument can be made that TUSCL is not necessarily like the rest of the web - i.e. it seems most of the web, at least the popular websites, are free to use w/o requiring payment/VIP - but then again I'm not a big web guy in terms of visiting a lot of different sites.
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    Rick, I'm with you in principle. I'm just wanting to push the bar a little higher. The review we're referring to is: https://www.tuscl.net/rev.php?id=328674

I don't remember if I said no, or just ignored it. I'd like to say no, and put some helpful comments. I mean, I know all the basics about that club & don't need someone to tell me. But, all I got from that was that it was slow with under 25 dancers on a Sunday evening. I'd like to see a bit more info in there.

Maybe a fair approach would be sending the reviewer the comments. That way we can say yes, but still provide feedback to the reviewer on ways to improve. I'm sure a lot of reviewers are one & done and we'd be pissing in the wind, but I'd like to think over time we could improve quality.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    The comments do get sent to the reviewer.

I'm surprised Papi hasn't suggested a free lifetime VIP once you reach 250 trusts.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    ^im sure some posters would take "constructive criticism" well and try to improve their writing. But the majority(excluding one-and-dones) probably dont care enough. They just want vip.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @Dolfan

I voted no on that Tootsies review, no club info besides just a rant about how slow it was - I assume it got enough yes votes b/c it was a Tootsies review (a popular club)
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    If relating an experience like this doesn't qualify, what do we want?

Do you want every review to start with something like.

Tuesday-daytime
    No AA today (you're welcome Papi)
    Beer was $5.50
    There wasn't a cover
    The layout was.....
    Parking was....

Many of these things don't change from visit to visit so what is the benefit of having the reviewer regurgitate it?

• shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Knowing the locations of the bar, stage/s and pool table/s are important because knowing this before you go in can prevent you from accidentally walking into them and injuring yourself.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Flagooner - now you're staring to get it -
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @ Flagooner

"We nod when we don't understand"
  • TheeOSU
    6 years ago
    Nobody is forcing anyone to rate reviews and the only reason anyone should rate them is to help ensure accuracy of the club being reviewed. I see no reason to be compensated for it.
  • Liwet
    6 years ago
    >I see no reason to be compensated for it.

I don't want to write a bunch of shitty but passable reviews for the sake of maintaining my VIP so I can read the unpublished reviews of others and help improve the quality of the site. I'd be making the site worse in order to make it better.

I go clubbing about 16 or 17 times a year (down from about 30 last year). Some of those visits were enjoyable and worth the price but really not worth writing about. If I went 12 times a year, I'd have to write a review every time just to maintain my VIP. Better for the site if I only write a few good reviews to get a few months VIP and cover the rest of the year by reviewing the unpublished reviews.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion