tuscl

OT: Refurbished cell phones ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Anyone bought a refurbished cell phone? If so how did it work out and where did you buy it? Thanks.

22 comments

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^I got a whole bunch of old cell phones sitting in a box in my garage make me an offer. ;)
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    They are awful. Not worth the potential savings. Most of the time you’re just buying somebody else’s problems.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I bought mine from Fernando dealing them out of the trunk of his Lincoln Town Car on Collins Avenue.

• Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ what color was the Town Car
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Black. New Jersey plates.
  • max_starr
    6 years ago
    I save all my old smartphones as backups/burners....I get a new one every 12 months or sooner, so I have a shit ton of them
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    I bought one off of CL. Some businessman / executive literally has a phone with a cracked screen that he made TWO calls with, dropped it outside, hadn't bought a case yet, cracked the screen, then put it away for 9 months and bought a brand new phone full price. And forgot about it. He then listed it on CL for $100, we met, I offered to buy it, then he felt bad or something that I'd have to spend $100 with him then another $100 for Apple to fix the screen. So he just handed it to me and felt good about himself. $100 later and I'm still using it over 2 year later. Can't beat that! It wasn't the base model, either! Thanks BMW dude!

I would trust Apple refurbishing (bought directly off of the apple web site .. and no one else .. no third party .. no android. Android, I would buy NEW.

Papi, there are lost of cheap and inexpensive Android phones around $200 plus or minus $80. They don't have all of the features or are maybe a responsive, but they work. huawei honor, motorola e4, moto g5, moto g5 plus, etc.
  • galiziabob.sabbatical
    6 years ago
    Don't do it. Never works properly in my experience. Papi, check out the One Plus company. They sell amazing phones. If you look at specs, they have the same 835 snapdragon processor as the Samsung and Google pixel models but more operating ram. They work off of base Android which is super reliable. Amazing cameras and screens. Great sound. I love love love mine. So do friends of mine and they are way cheaper! I bought mine for $499. The comparable Google and Samsung at the time were over $800. Check then out. They have a new model, the One Plus 6 coming out any day now.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the tip Gali. I need to buy my son a new phone soon so will check it out.

The phone I got from Fernando is crap.
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    Agree that refurbs are often problematic. I've never purchased one, but I've been given them as replacements for insurance/warranty type things. Every time there was some issue, wonky screen, crappy battery, some random sensor not working For example, last one had a bad proximity sensor so the screen stayed on when up to your ear, so your face would touch buttons.
  • impala
    6 years ago
    The company I work for bought a bunch of refurbished smart phones 2 years ago from a third party and have been nothing but problematic. Within 6 months about half of them needed replacement and almost all had very poor battery life and we're full of gremlins.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    I guess I'm one of the few that approves of a refurbished phone. I've only had one (my current one). I had just finished paying off the $649 total cost of the brand new one and then ruined it. I hit eBay and bought a refurbished model of the same phone for $149. Phone was in excellent condition and still works great a year later. Name of the company on eBay was guaranteecellular.
  • realDougster
    6 years ago
    I heard Mamisan has a bunch of phones that fell out of customers’ pants that she’ll sell to you cheap
  • max_starr
    6 years ago
    for older phones I like the ones with replaceable batteries....those li-on batteries only last a year or two
  • a21985
    6 years ago
    Man, you guys are brutal. I actual have some professioal expertise in this field. In a former life, before I went corporate and switched to the software industry, I managed a corporate service and repair location for one of the large wireless providers.

First, used is garbage and very risky, make sure you're going refurbed, manafacturer refurbed to be specific over 3rd party ones. Manufacturer refurbished cell phones actually undergo more strenuous quality control than new devices, and are generally more reliable than their out of the box counterparts. Its like puchasing certfied pre-owned that comes with all the manufacturer warrantees vs. going to Snaggle Tooth Joes used car lot.

The rub lies in the fact that the devices that are more readily available refurbed are the ones more frequently returned to the manufacturer for other shortcomings that aren't necesssrily related to QA preventable defects. Those shortcomings may still be prevalent in a refurb. I've never had an issue, but it's something to take into consideration.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Was looking to get a decent ph with a large screen but didn't wanna pay a premium for a brand-new one, was hoping to get a good refurb for under $200.
  • gothamyte
    6 years ago
    Any of y'all try getting a phone from a pawn shop?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Steal one off of one of your fat bottomed girls while she’s giving you a lap dance ;)
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    My siblings kids wanted new phones so they come to me. I was like “fuck that I’m not buying a 12 year old a $600 phone that he’ll break or lose within 2 months.”

I’ve bought them used ones on eBay off of individuals (not cellphones companies) and haven’t had an issue yet. I’ve sold my old phones on there too. All my phones had been in otterboxes since day one, regularly cleaned no cracks or scratches so there’s tons of phones just like that available on eBay.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @25

Those fat-bottom girls are stronger than me, they'll kick my
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ ass
    6 years ago
    I’ve bought half a dozen ipads referbished on newegg. Haven’t had a problem yet and less than half price of new.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion