tuscl

Clubs scanning ID and facebook

Since 1963 ...
Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:48 AM

Weird that some tuscl users are so annoyed by ID scanning clubs but are OK w FB data mining.

Facebook scammers, scrapers and data miners aren’t trying to steal your identity. They are profiling you so they can send you manipulating info/messages. That is the end game, to get you to do something you wouldn’t normally do. And before you think or say “I would never be moved”, think again. It has been proven to work EVERY time.

That is why manipulators are spending Billions on analytic and AI tools of every kind. Facebook alone gets $84 in ad revenue for every man woman and child in America.

Using false profiles does not circumvent this intrusion at all, since the profile was still created by you and is used by you, then used against you. It is still your pattern and that pattern is what they mine and monetize.

23 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    I think that there are plenty of guys on here who are equally wary of both.

I am on Facebook, but in a very minimalist way. You could argue that being on Facebook in any mode is unwise. But everyone has their own level of risk tolerance.

Side note... arguing the level of risk exposure on social media amongst a group of guys who are remarkably cavalier about wearing condoms when having sex with strippers is an exercise in irony and double standards.

Anywho, what I've pointed out to anyone outraged by the Facebook data mining scandal is that Facebook isn't using a single bit of data that wasn't at first happily volunteered by the user.
    6 years ago
    Information might have been happily given to Facebook but that’s like saying I should be happy my neighbor rifled thru my underwear drawer because I gave her the keys to my place so she could water my plants.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    The difference is an expectation of trust. You trust your neighbors via a long and/or personal relationship in the real world.

If you place the same degree of trust in a for-profit corporation that provides a massive amount of functionality and connectivity for "free", then you've brought these problems on yourself.

And you're a nitwit.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    sigh... poor context in my previous post via paragraph break. 623, I don't think you're a nitwit. But people who think that social media corporations are even marginally motivated by the user's best interests are nitwits in my opinion.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    -->"Weird that some tuscl users are so annoyed by ID scanning clubs but are OK w FB data mining."

I'd say that's a complete strawman -- no one here is ok with FB data mining, as far as I can tell, in fact we've talked about it. They are, however, different threats and so are handled and discussed in different ways. Which makes the chastising tone a little silly.

ID scanning: the lowest-quality industry I do business with, now has all of my ID's information about me -- the real me, my name, birthday, address, etc. You'll excuse me if I don't believe their crack team of cybersecurity experts exactly has the information secured. For people with a family to lose, that is already an obvious risk, and a big one. Exactly the kind of people who I worry about things like ID theft, now have a lot of the information needed to pull it off. Anyway, the risks are self-evident to anyone who is not trying to minimize them in order to make a point on the internet.

Facebook: I've been discussing the risks here for years, and not remotely a surprise to me that the news just gets worse and worse as far as how intrusive they are. I do not use the Facebook app, and my facebook account is completely fake. Yes, Facebook and its erstwhile "partners" know that Subraman has only stripper friends, and they can send targeted advertising to my Facebook page or my fake email. These aren't huge security concerns for me. It IS a security concern that even through browser-based access, they could somehow map my fake account to the real me, even though the real me doesn't have a facebook account; a risk to be hugely concerned about. Possibly of more concern, to turn your misguided lecture around at you, is that companies like google seem to have way more information about me than facebook, and who knows what they do with it. Many of us here, at least have been super careful about what facebook knows about us, but I doubt we've been as anonymous with google. I feel there's a strong need for European style privacy protections
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Everyone’s out to get you and everyone is trying to expose you. In the mean time I’ll be in my basement playing dungeons and dragons with San Jose Guy. Oh don’t worry we won’t be playing together but on mIRC over the web.
  • a21985
    6 years ago
    The two are far from the same. I fully expect a social media site to use their profile of and data on me as their payment for using the site. I've been using FB for almost 14 years and have had no illusions about that since the beginning. However, with strip clubs, not only is there an expectation of anonymity that them scanning my ID intrudes on, I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. I have zero trust in them to using and protecting my information properly, and the bad actors who could somehow get my info from them frighten me infinitely more than the "bad actors" who have been getting my data from Facebook.

In other words, I get where you were going here, but politely I think this a stupid post that completely misses the mark.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    The initial argument is a poor attempt at a comparison of two dramatically different situations.

I know Facebook mines my data. I know it’s used elsewhere, and I’m not 100% ok with that. However, there is a huge difference between a multi billion dollar company - and Vinnie Slick Fingers (who scans ids at the Pink Poontang Club).

When I go to strip clubs, I prefer the seedier clubs. I think classy strip clubs are somewhat of an oxymoron. When I am in a club, I’m assuming the dancer is using a stage name - which is s fake name. I’m pretty sure Vinnie Slick Fingers - isn’t from a long line of fellow Slick Fingers family members. So - why do I have to give my legit info to this club?

It’s nice to be recognized at a neighborhood bar - like Cheers. But, not so much in a seedy strip joint.
  • loper
    6 years ago
    I'm with you cashman. Once gave my regular club my name and phone number to enter a contest, and, sure enough, they started texting me. Don't want to tell the wife who's texting me in the middle of dinner when it's my local strip club. I yelled at them and they stopped, but I don't want to have to deal with that again.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I think most of us recognize that there are risks associated with giving information but may not understand the extent of the risk.

By using FB I think the user considers the benefit to be more than what they perceive the risk to be.

It is quite reasonable for that same person to refuse to give a SC their ID to scan because the benefit is different as is the perceived risk. Also there are closer substitutes available to the clubber.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I’m not sure how valid my logic might be - but I refuse to use my credit card at a strip club. So why would I give a strip club my drivers license to scan?

I’m basically giving someone at a strip club enough information to open a fraudulent credit card in my name (when I allow my license to be
    scanned).
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I would stop going to any strip club that tries to initiate any type of ID inspection whatsoever, with the exception of allowing them to check that I am of legal age to enter their establishment!
  • max_starr
    6 years ago
    No club scan id here that I know of. I would try to decline it, but use a fake If necessary...they don't need it.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^Using a false ID presents it’s own set of problems, just boycott any club that tries to implement this.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Never been on Facebook and never will. Don't do on-line banking or pay bills on line. I have a credit card for my office, with a very low limit to secure tee times and pay for airline reservations, but buy very few things on-line other than lands end. Two clubs in my area scan: One gave in and my license doesn't get scanned, the other I bad mouth to everyone. Privacy is like diamonds.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Cashman1234 said: "... but I refuse to use my credit card at a strip club."

Yeah. I refuse to bring my credit card into a strip club.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Ishmael - I understand your point. I think about only bringing my license to the club with me. It makes sense. I still bring my plastic - simply out of habit.
  • a21985
    6 years ago
    I bring my plastic in...solely because I trust valets less than I trust the strippers and other club staff.
  • Liwet
    6 years ago
    87 million Americans had their data sold by Facebook which they willingly gave up but no one's talking about the 143 million Americans that were affected by the Equifax data breach.

It really doesn't matter to me if Facebook or strip clubs have my identification credentials. My information is already out there and even if it isn't, it's probably better if I act as if malicious third parties have and want to use my information for their personal gain.
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    The datamining probably extends to all social media and search engines. At least you should assume thats the case.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I wonder if Founder sells our information.

After joining TUSCL I periodically get email advertisements for "Little Pecker Condoms"
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Good point Papi. That would explain those emails from Whores-R-Us I keep finding! Nothing like handing a whore an internet coupon for a half price blow job.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion