tuscl

Favorite SC Country Song

Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:40 PM
I'm not a C/W fan. Unless you count Molly Hatchet. But several country songs have been drilled into my neurons from overexposure at clubs. I don't know (or particularly care) who sings them: Badonkadonk Tequila makes her clothes come off Friends in low places The shake Ladies love country boys Everybody's got at least one. If I can admit it, anyone can. DG

12 comments

• DailyGrind
    17 years ago
    <re: DailyGrind: ...is that really Rascal Flatts song, or are they doing a "cover" of someone else's song?> Sorry, Doug. My knowledge of country music is pretty much limited to the insidious choruses heard at the clubs and the previous joke. DG
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Drop-kick Me, Jesus, Through the Goal-posts of Life ...
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    "Please Don't Go Topless, Mother", by Troy Hess I've been racking my brain for the name of this and where I heard it ever since this topic was started. It appeared a few years ago on a compilation of incredibly strange Bible Belt kitsch novelty songs from the 50s and 60s called 'God Less America'. It's sung by a little kid who can't quite hold what tune there is, and can barely fight back his tears of shame. Of course, there's a spoken part in the middle. It goes: Oh Please don't go topless mother My friend won't come to see me But their daddies do I'll shine shoes I'll collect pop bottles Anything to help out Then we'll go off together And start over With no shame for people to talk about I've never heard it in a club. You can hear it online here: [view link]
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    DailyGrind: Ahh! Playing courty music backwards... that's a good song by Rascal Flatts. Being "new" to country, is that really Rascal Flatts song, or are they doing a "cover" of someone else's song? (I know they do a cover of "Life is a Highway", and is on their current CD, as well is in the move, Cars) SYG: Your mention of Charlie Daniel's song and the fact that you are going to Dallas, reminds me that Coyote Ugly is a "must go" in Dallas. There was a bartender there the last time that I went. I think her name was Heather, but she was a hot cutie and helped me have a great time at CU, which was my warm-up before hitting Baby Dolls. Only downside, CU is in a pretty nasty area - made me nervous being alone when walking to/from my rental car.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    I agree with DandyDan, today's country is very different than it used to be and it's much more similar to mainstream pop, in fact it's often hard to tell what is and what isn't country anumore. I don't have one favorite song but there are several performers who I like. Interestingly they're all females. I think some of today's female country vocalists are among the best singers out there and have much better voices than many of today's pop or rock singers, to say nothing of the "vocalists" who don't sing at all. When I listen to country on the radio I find that I like about half the songs, which is about about the same as when I listen to any other station. There's a lot of crap and some good stuff in nearly every style of music.
  • Charlie Daniels's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," the first ever country-rap song, and the only country song I like. All the rest, for the most part, is shit.
  • DailyGrind
    17 years ago
    Forgot 'save a horse, ride a cowboy'. Giddyup, DG
  • parodyman-->
    17 years ago
    Unless it is "old school" country music it makes me sick and mu spinctre slams shut. Cuntry music made today is weak and lame! Give me some Mojo Nixon, Jennings, Charlie Daniels or something along those lines. As far as a favorite country song, you won't believe this, but it is "Will the Fetus be Aborted?" sung to the tune of will the circle be unbroken. You see the strangest reactions from people when this song is played.
  • DailyGrind
    17 years ago
    Besides, y'all know what happens when you listen to country music backwards? You get your wife back, your truck back, your house back... Coudn't resist, DG
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    That one about "honky tonk bunka boink" or whatever it is, seems to get the girls' motors running. Can't imagine why, but that makes my experience mildly better. I tend to hate "current" country of the pop-Nashville-teenie style -- Faith Hill, Garth Brooks, anyone of that ilk -- but I have been known to appreciate a well-written "trad" country song (Hank Williams senior, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash) and, if you look closely enough, you'll find that there are gems in any genre.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    With my ATF into country, I've heard my share... The one that sticks out in my mind the most is Me and My Gang by Rascal Flatts, 'cause the two or three times that I've seen her on stage she has danced to it. (I also bought the latest RF CD for her for Christmas, and made a copy of it for myself) And to think I used to HATE country.... I think if my ATF liked to listen to static on the radio, I'd get a CD of it...
  • DandyDan
    17 years ago
    I personally think it should all be called Nashville pop, because it all has more in common with Britney Spears than with Hank Williams anymore. Of course, I can't convince anyone of this. Anyway, you forgot Ain't Going Down Til the Sun Comes Up. My favorite DATY partner?dancer was a total redneck girl and would play this, which is totally true.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion