tuscl

Worst Commercially Successful Band Ever?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
To you, what are some of the worst successful bands/musicians/artists ever? You know, those guys that have had multiple hits but you think every song they’ve ever done sucks? I’m not talking about one hit or two hit wonders, I’m talking about multi platinum artists.

Here are some of mine:

Green Day - worst band of the 90s, every single song they’ve ever made gives me a headache

REO Speedwagon - even their name sucks

Gwen Stefani - as a solo artist. I think my 7 year old niece wrote the lyrics for her album.

53 comments

• rockstar666
    7 years ago
    Oh, don't get me started!! Okay, here's 3 of my least favorite successful bands:

Kiss
    Linkin Park
    Jefferson Starship
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Those are all solid entries rockstar. How many REO songs are in your set list? Lol
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    One of the ones I could never enjoy - Duran Duran. They were big in the 80’s - when MTV took off.

Also, I never got into Queen. I know they were huge - but I was never a fan of their songs.

I’m sure there will be lots more.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    As far as current artists - I don’t get how Nicki Minaj is so popular. I’m also not a fan of Kelly Clarkson.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    Shailynn, my current band is 100% originals, so the answer is ZERO.
  • sinclair
    7 years ago
    Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Black Eyed Peas, Dave Matthews Band
  • londonguy
    7 years ago
    Oasis. Apart from "Don't look back in anger" the rest was dross.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    Another vote for "Kiss" as the worst band off all time. Idiotic costumes, lyrics, and mindless screaming. Basically white noise. I'd rather listen to fingernails dragging on a chalkboard.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    How about Milli Vanilli? The worst act that never was!
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Easy target, but this question asks for easy targets: Nickleback. I also add Nirvana although I know that homo HughGRection will go ballistic over that.
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    I never liked Kiss either.

Never understood what the attraction was for that band.

But I have heard Gene Simmons interviewed a few times and he seems like an intelligent guy.
    He sure knew how to market that band, I’ll give him that.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Worst EVER? In all the history of mankind? The Beatles. Completely overrated. Utterly devoid of any exceptional talent. Stupendous mediocrity. That anyone still talks about them boggles the mind.
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    JUSTIN BIEBER!
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    So you don't like the Beatles, SJG ?
    Typical coming from our diseased moron. They were very talented, you idiot. I agree that Nicki Minaj is unexceptional.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    I personally thought Nickelback actually has a song or two I can stand.

Who ever sang Milli Vanilli could actually sing.

I like Queen but man that had a TON of bad songs as well. Practically everything they released in the 80s sucked.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    How about ANY rapper that Juice has EVER posted a YouTube link to on here, but then again none of those guys are platinum artists.
  • GoVikings
    7 years ago
    the beatles and nirvana being mentioned in this topic makes no sense to me...
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    shailynn: "Who ever sang Milli Vanilli could actually sing. "

V true! A shame they don't play those songs as much because of the disillusionment to some. They still sound as good, IMO.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    You all named three of my favorites: KISS, REO, and Queen.

My generation loved to hate on the commercial success of the Disco artists, whose music we said we loathed: Bee gees, KC and the sunshine band, for example
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    @GoVikings
    I don't get it either along with many of the other choices. Overrated? Sure. Worst band/artist ever but still made a ton of money? WTF. I was expecting stuff more like Katy Perry or Backstreet Boys or some talentless collection of successfully marketed and halfway well produced crap.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Disco rules! Its haters suck!
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    @joc13
    Yeah, Queen had 4 talented songwriters (rare for a band) and spanned multiple decades and genres so i thought that had something for everyone, but i guess not...
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    I always looked at Backstreet Boys and their offshoots like Justin Beiber as mostly satire. Same with Britney Spears.
  • ime
    7 years ago
    Limp Bizkit the all time top of the shit bands.

Nickelback, Kiss, Disturbed, get honorable mentions.
  • SirLapdancealot
    7 years ago
    Adele is the queen of this thread. She sings flat, she forgets her own lyrics, yet she still has a huge fan base and Grammys for days. A horrible talent laughing all the way to the bank.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Disturbed had one of the greatest albums of all time! But I can see how their music is not for everyone.

Also, as much as I have no respect for NKOTB, N'sync, Bieber, or the backstreet Boys, I do recognize the successful marketing campaign that sold their sex appeal to their target audience. Combine that with professionally written songs devoid of any intellectual or philosophical complexities, and you have a commercial success that can make you a shit-ton of money. I don't see that from the Beatles. Four shaggy Brits with three guitars and drums. No talent, but they are one of the biggest bands of all time. The tools I mentioned earlier don't hold a candle to their success. That is why I chose them.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    ^^^^ winner!
  • skibum609
    7 years ago
    Green Day was, is and always will be exceptional. Dookie is one of the 5 best albums of all time. Overrated? The Doors; Jimi Hendrix; Fleetwood Mac.
  • gammanu95
    7 years ago
    Katy Perry is one of the dumbest sluts alive, but I'd shoot a world leader to play with her tits.
  • yahtzee74
    7 years ago
    Genesis post-Abacab
    Beastie Boys
    Journey post-Rolie
  • yahtzee74
    7 years ago
    U2 has some good stuff but massively overrated
  • yahtzee74
    7 years ago
    Bon Jovi
    Celine Dion
    hot as fuck Shania Twain
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I agree with gammanu95 about Katy Perry - especially her tits!

I thought Shania Twain was hot as fuck - but she looks rough now. It’s like they hired an impersonater to promote her new music.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    U2 was good (great) up through Joshua Tree, maybe a few songs on Rattle and Humble. Should have quit at their peak. After that it was all lame, highly unfunny self-parody.
  • Electronman
    7 years ago
    I nominate the Turtles, a late 1960s band, known for their terrible lyrics, as illustrated by the chorus from one of their hits, Elenore:
    Elenore gee I think you're swell
    And you really do me well
    You're my pride and joy et cetera
    Elenore can I take the time
    To ask you to speak your mind
    Tell me that you love me better

While speaking of awful lyrics, I would also nominate The National-- even a rich bass voice and good orchestration can't overcome their lyrics. See lyrics from Terrible Love on the High Violet album.

It's a terrible love and I'm walking with spiders
    It's a terrible love and I'm walking in
    This quiet company
    This quiet company
    This quiet company
    This quiet company
    This quiet company
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Anybody that thinks the Beatle isn’t one of the most commercially as well as artistic successful is an idiot. I do mean stupid dumber than a rock.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    The Cars, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay,
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Interesting - I think all bands above are “decent.” Not good but all have had multiple catchy radio friendly hits. Not good, but no bad either.
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    All good music for shitting at McD's
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    Push em out, shove em out waaaay out...
  • MrDeuce
    7 years ago
    Wow -- I *love* most of the bands listed above, especially the Beatles, the Doors, Queen, Metallica, U2, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, and Coldplay. I even like Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Disturbed, and Oasis. And I love Adele's songs as long she never speaks! Furthermore, I, too, would "shoot a world leader to play with her tits." LOL

I'll tell you some overrated but highly successful bands:
    NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, 98 Degrees, etc. (you get the idea)
    Justin Bieber
    Nickelback and Hinder
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Here's MY deal. I'm not a band person. I'm a song person. Also basically metal. That said, according to your criteria just about all the songs I enjoy might be considered performed by the "...worst successful bands/musicians/artists ever...".

The one exception would be many great groups, bands, solos, from the '40s and '50s. Certainly, few here are able to say they grew up in that time frame when rock & roll was invented!
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Oh, forgot one thing. MANY MANY of those that others mention, well I have no idea who they are. I would imagine that is easily explained by the fact that about all I listen to these days are favorites that I've collected over the years. Those, I never tire of.
  • rattdog
    7 years ago
    3 is a small number but i'll take a shot.
    REM, SUPERTRAMP and PEARL JAM
  • yahtzee74
    7 years ago
    oh god REM. lead singer absolutely sucks dick. terrible singer too.
  • Eve
    7 years ago
    I was never crazy about Spice Girls like most people I know are.
  • Huntsman
    7 years ago
    Beyonce is overrated in my mind. As a singer, that is.
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    @yahtzee
    i think he actually is bisexual...
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    There's some fighting words from some of you guys though...
  • SirLapdancealot
    7 years ago
    ^ Kelly Rowland >>> Beyonce in terms of looks and voice
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    That's easy - Beiber
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Journey!!! Yes, how could I have not mentioned them
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I thought of two more this morning -