tuscl

NFL OOPS

This is the last discussion or post I will make about the NFL controversy.
The main reason I was down on the NFL's recent behavior is the fact that they do not follow their own rules. Even with the Star Wars roll out the ratings were shit-balls.
There is a long standing rule in the NFL employee hand book to which every player is issue and agrees to follow when they sign their contract stating: Stand at attention, helmet off, and refrain from talking.
The owner miscalculated the response from the fans and now their church of money worship is threatened so they may just sight their rule like they just made them up!
If I ignored a rule of conduct that was a in place at the time of my employment and given to me in writing my job would be in jeopardy and I would be lucky if I received a warning to stop or be fired for cause meaning a negative employment recommendation and no unemployment!
It seems like only public figures and government employees (including welfare recipients) do not have to follow laws and rules that would get the rest of the working populace fired or jailed.

Below is and exert from an article stating; now that the NFL's bottom line has been hurt the owners may just enforce their own rules all the while claiming it to be a NEW rule just added because it was the patriotic thing to do! When Money talks then Bull Shit takes a walk.
As long as the bottom line was not hurt to badly the owner could care less about the fans. So the fans voted with their feet and wallets.
(if we could just get the same reaction to crooked lifetime politicians who screw us every day)

"The owners and Roger Goodell did not expect the fiery fan blowback. Outraged conservatives perceived kneeling as an encroachment on the principles near and dear to not only them but a majority of Americans. Respecting country, respecting America’s lineage, the military and their families are collectively exemplified by the flag. But, owners are proving to be hypocrites by not being true to the value of social justice nor patriotism and instead have one focus: the dollar.

The NFL must have had some foresight into the importance of the national anthem and the related conduct displayed on the field before kickoff. NFL national anthem policy is on pages A62-63 of the league’s rulebook. It states: 'The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand and refrain from talking.'

Due to the costly backlash, according to the Wall Street Journal, the National Football League’s owners will discuss next week whether to unilaterally change league policy and require players to stand during the national anthem. If players refuse to rise up, they could face disciplinary action by the league or by the team. The NFL may change the rules of conduct in direct response to their fans who are rejecting politics on the field and hitting them where it hurts them most—their Gucci wallets.

But, kneeling players proved to kill ticket and jersey sales and viewership -- and their positions are viewed by many fans as divisive and disrespectful -- negatively impacting the NFL brand and profits. So social justice and the fear of losing support of the players had to take a back seat.

It’s also clear this "juke" move by the NFL is not one based on patriotism, because the original position of the NFL, as written in their rulebook, was to respect America's anthem -- a principle they happily discarded until faced with lost money and ratings"

My opinion is that the NFL will take years to recover the prominence market share it enjoyed, if ever. The classic killing the golden goose!

14 comments

• mark94
    7 years ago
    The billionaire owners don’t know anything about their customers. They interact with fellow billionaires and their millionaire players. As a result, they thought the support for the kneelers would be viewed as mainstream and righteous. No business can succeed if it doesn’t understand and respond to its customers.
  • GoVikings
    7 years ago
    You’re jealous of the NFL’s popularity and clearly obsessed with trying to put it down

You also said NFL players play less games than the other sports ( mlb, nba, nhl), but get paid the most. That’s factually incorrect

Tiredtraveler losses
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    @Tiredtraveler said: "There is a long standing rule in the NFL employee hand book to which every player is issue and agrees to follow when they sign their contract stating: Stand at attention, helmet off, and refrain from talking."

Except that's not true:

http://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-col…

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/4955704/nfl-…

http://www.snopes.com/must-nfl-players-s…

The rulebook has no policy on the National Anthem. The NFL Game Operations Manual *only* requires that players be on the sidelines for the anthem. 

With regards to their posture during the anthem, it states: "During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area *SHOULD* stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking." [emphasis mine] 

'Should' is not a requirement; it's a recommendation. They are not breaking any employment contract when they kneel.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Here is the solution I came up with.

The main pushback and reason the msg has been lost is that they,are protesting during the National Anthem.

Instead, players from both teams who want to protest could meet at mid field and kneel before kickoff causing the game to be delayed 1 minute. The ref could throw a flag for offsetting delay of game penalties.

It would get the media exposure without the unintended consequences.
  • georgmicrodong
    7 years ago
    It's fascinating to me that certain elements have framed the kneeling to be about the anthem and the flag. I haven't determined if that's deliberate lying, or abject stupidity.

Never was, still isn't, about either.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    No offense - but reading long posts - and football don't go together! I watch football so I don't have to read!
  • JuiceBox69
    7 years ago
    Yeah...fuck this tired traveling faggots LMFAO
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    I believe there was a game where the players knelt *before* the anthem and then stood for the anthem. They still got booed by the fans.

So, the complaints about disrespect to the flag and/or veterans seems to be a false construction that helps many fans simply not address what they are actually protesting. That's not universal across all fans, though.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    Lol. This topic is dead. Who cares anymore.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    Well... Donald Trump.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    Lol. And who cares about him?
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Good Idea @flagooner as for the rest of this topic YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • grand1511
    7 years ago
    I totally approve of strippers kneeling before my pole.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    He chose.........poorly.

Now it appears that Goodell and the players union will codify a policy that will allow kneeling or any other protest during the playing of the anthem. And the league will justify it by using the NFL brand as a "platform to both raise awareness and make progress on issues of social justice and equality in this country."

In other words, a total, complete cave to the players.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion