tuscl

OT: Who eats grits?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:53 PM
Driving from CA to Ga back in "87 never saw them on the menu until we hit TX. I personally think they are tasteless and pass in favor of hash browns. [view link]

33 comments

• mark94
    7 years ago
    There many ways to spice up grits. Cheese and butter. Hot sauce. Pepper and salt.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    There is a certain simplicity, flavor, purity from good minimalist cooking done right, with time honored practices using the best ingredients. Always prepare it with excellence. Polenta is like grits in that regard, too. That way it can hit all of your senses.
  • londonguy
    7 years ago
    Never heard of them, what are they?
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Londonguy - view the video.
  • Warrenboy75
    7 years ago
    I lived in New Orleans for a number of years........grits to me are a bit like eating Elmers Glue......true you can spice up grits by adding any number of things.....but then it takes the taste of Elmers Glue with cheese, butter, hot sauce or whatever you add........
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I eat peas with honey I've done it all my life It makes them taste so funny But it keeps them on my Knife.
  • Stognasty
    7 years ago
    I love home cooked grits. I'll never order them in a restaurant because they are never right. They need to be smooth, buttery, and a little salty.
  • DoctorPhil
    7 years ago
    “Who eats grits?” the question is who doesn’t? love me some GRITS - Girls Raised In The South
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    Add cheese, jalapeños and black pepper.. Then I am OK with them
  • whodey
    7 years ago
    I love homemade grits but like stognasty said I haven't found a restaurant that makes them well so I usually go with hash browns when I order. I love it when I find DoctorPhil's version on the menu. ;-)
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Whoever pisses off Flo can kiss her grits.
  • Uprightcitizen
    7 years ago
    I am a Detroit guy so no grits up here but I got a taste for those in the army. I am more partial to butter with lots of pepper ;)
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    When cooking Italian, grits are magically transformed into polenta. It's much more appetizing that way!
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Every Awful House, I mean Waffle House, has them. They're only good for a change of pace with butter and cheese. It's like why would I get cream of wheat when there are pancakes and waffles?
  • Ilovetheladies
    7 years ago
    I love grits, born and raised in Alabama. I like them with cheddar cheese, butter, salt and pepper. I like them a little thick too, not soupy. You can't just eat grits without spicing them up.
  • tumblingdice
    7 years ago
    I get it,tits,slits and grits.There,s a [view link] here in Cola that serves shrimp and grits,pretty damn tasty when spoon fed by a busty.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    My dad is from the country here in MI and back when I lived with him as a kid/teen, he would always make them for breakfast before school if my sister and I woke up early enough. He introduced me to them. He can cook, and they were always delicious. Salt in the water while he was making them, then lots of butter and sugar is how I'd eat them. Loved 'em. Now I also like them with fried runny eggs and dipping my toast and bacon in them.
  • Stognasty
    7 years ago
    A breakfast bowl with grits, eggs, bacon and cheese is life!
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    Never liked them. But I have plenty of family members who do.
  • joeblow44
    7 years ago
    Nina knows what's up! How she likes them with fried runny eggs with the toast and bacon is how I eat them as well.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    If anyone is dying to go try grits, they are on the menu at Cracker Barrels across the country. They actually are decent there for a "commercial version."
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    I've eaten grits many times down South. Depending on the cook they can be bland or very tasty. I like them.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    The texture has always bothered me. They aren't awful, but I can't get past the texture.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    I do and always have. Like any food, they can be terrible to excellent.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    sc, One of the funniest movies of all time!
  • PrimetimeSchein
    7 years ago
    Love grits. Add some ketchup, pepper, and eggs. Amazing
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    Yum. Soft, runny eggs are delicious with or without grits or polenta.
  • chessmaster
    7 years ago
    I have but not in a long time. Same with cereal.
  • Mainster
    7 years ago
    Grits taste like whatever you put on them. I'll pay the upcharge for hash browns.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    Around here most places with grits don't upcharge for hash browns, they just ask either/or.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Nina, Never heard of an up charge either. Usually they figure those that don't eat grits are just yankees or foreigners. Actually the same people. :)
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    When in Rome...... If a Rome GA aWffle House, I'll chow down on grits. Not that crazy about them, but i'll eat them for the hell of it. Rome NY- I'll take toast or hash browns. Joe Pesci is a real funny guy trying to eat grits.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    Dominic, you are right ab polenta. Very under appreciated. It's just boiled yellow corn meal, but so good. Great topped with chili or marinara. I'm going to have to pick some corn meal up the next time I go to the store. You can also chill it, and then slice and fry it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion