tuscl

Woman, ex-boss dating after harassment suit

Saturday, January 3, 2004 10:16 AM
Woman, ex-boss dating after harassment suit 1/2/2004 FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) -- Seen dating again, a woman and her ex-boss have paid back $35,000 in taxpayer funds she received after accusing him of sexual harassment. Julie Dalton resigned as chief deputy of Lee County Property Appraiser Ken Wilkinson in March 2002 after her affair with Wilkinson became public. Dalton claimed in her harassment complaint that Wilkinson pursued the sexual relationship then dumped her after the press found out. Wilkinson, she said the complaint, "clearly used his position as my boss to influence me to have a relationship with him. When he no longer desired to have this relationship he wanted me to resign." Dalton was paid the settlement out of taxpayer funds, with $10,000 compensating her for what was described as "mental anguish, injury to reputation ... and stigma." The rest went to her attorney. She also got back a job in the office, not directly supervised by Wilkinson. When a reporter told Wilkinson Tuesday that he and Dalton had been seen together on Christmas Eve, Wilkinson said: "I've atoned for my sins. It cost me a marriage." On Wednesday, Wilkinson and Dalton sent checks of $23,100 and $13,100 respectively to Lee County Risk Management, the county's self-insurance fund. "We jointly request the press respect our private life," read a message attached to copies of the checks sent to the Fort Myers News Press. © Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

4 comments

• WiseGuy
    21 years ago
    CS he said it because he (and you) do not understand federal/state harassment laws or company harassment policies.
  • Clean and Sober
    21 years ago
    Did the GM say why he thought you were a bitch?
  • dusty
    21 years ago
    NA, I agree that some women take over advantage of sexual harrasment. However, I once had a boss who I knew had Feelings for me, he made it pretty known.... I tried to stay his friend without leading him on to think I felt the same way... I will admit I am a flirtacious person... but I really watched my self around him... one day he went out to break with me, and gave me a gift, I told him I couldn't take it, and he said its nothing really just open it... I finally did and it was a diamond tennis bracelet, I was shocked I thought I was going to get sick, he then asked me to leave my husband and live with him, and that he would take care of me and my daughter, he even traded in his truck for a car so I would have somewhere to put her carseat, LOL, (sorry thinking back its really funny), I told him that it was nice and that any girl would be happy to be with him, but I loved my husband and wasn't going to leave him anytime soon... (sorry so long) So I told him I couldn't take it and he told me to do whatever with it, he didn't care he bout it for me and wasn't returning it.... My plan was to put it in his car before he left work so to not complicate things more... after a few hours of work went by, his manager(also mine) said that he thought I was a bitch and that I was going to get the shitty jobs for now on, and BLAH BLAH BLAH.. Ok...this made me mad.. I went to the general manager witht he bracelet and told him the story. He then took a picture of the jewelry and returned it to my manager himself with a warning. I was not happy witht he results, I thought a manager should not act that way and that it was unexcuseable to make me work under him anylonger, I asked to be moved and was denied, I talked to other managers thoughout the company if they would let me transfer to thier department, and most of them wanted me there, so they went to the GM and Gm said he would not let me. Instead, they tranfered me to the shittiest work they had in the company and cut my hours and pay.. while he got promoted. TALK ABOUT UNFAIR!!! So after this incredably long ass story LOL, I ended up quiting (which was their point) I did not file anything, (its all he said she said anyways right) I agree people take it way too far and plead sexual harrassment way too much, but for the few real cases, its hard to be helped out in those situations, so it all a matter of who tells the truth and who is a really good damn liar.
  • niceass
    21 years ago
    Yet more proof that feminist phobias make bad law. I think it's generally accepted that a substantial percentage of sex harrassment claims are opportunistic or vindictive, but this is a new twist on an old game.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion