tuscl

Hourly, Salary or Commission ?

UGK.22
Atlanta ,GA
What is your job pay structure ?

I've always been hourly. Never experienced salary although I've got friends that bitch about it. I'm looking for a second job and I'm wanting to do sales based on 100% commission since my first job is a steady check.

31 comments

• Dominic77
    7 years ago
    Salary. It used to be better when we would get performance bonuses (last was 2009 or 2010) but the company hasn't been doing well enough so only senior management and finance gets yearly bonuses. I do miss the opportunity to work harder get a little something extra every year or every other year. Paid overtime would be nice, too.

There is something good about the eat-what-you-kill mentality.
  • Doces300
    7 years ago
    I am none of the three. I am the owner of my own business. Money can be great. But due to ups and downs during a yr can vary from month to month.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    As long as it's over $350K annually who cares.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    Yeah, who cares if it's over $350K.

...as long as it's not family law. I do have principles.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    "I am none of the three. I am the owner of my own business. "

Isn't that a commission structure on steroids?
  • K
    7 years ago
    Depends on the contract. Mostly hourly but some tasks are flat fee. I keep a portion of what the subcontractors get if they work under my contract.
  • ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    Social security, savings and investments here.

I used to be on salary.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Salary + bonus + stock
  • Tiredtraveler
    7 years ago
    Yes
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    social security and milage at my casual part time job. my ex takes all my pension.
  • houjack
    7 years ago
    Salary.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off hourly, paid for overtime that way. It's alright though, overtime has been rare the past few years.

I'm too risk averse for commission, I want steady cash flow.
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    I used to be salary.

However, after getting divorced and losing everything to the (H)Ex I have a difficult time even paying attention anymore.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    100% commission. I'm not an independent contractor but I enjoy the same freedoms, without any of the hassle.
  • londonguy
    7 years ago
    I am self-employed most of the time.So I guess that makes me 'commission'
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    Oh man, I want to make the jump to commission or owning my own business. I'm tired of being "comfortable and safe."
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    As a long term business owner I recieve salary, a share of the profits and long term stock benefits.
    I don't consider any of my remuneration to be commission.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    ^^ That's more what I mean. I'm still trying to think how I might create opportunity for myself using computer science or physics from my background. But, that's so cool.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    I was a businesss owner. Now, I'm retired and live off my investments.

Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.

Albert Einstein
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    I'm retired. I used to receive a salary and stock options. Now I get social security, IRA distributions, interest, and dividends.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    Dominic, you might consider this advice from Scott Adams ( Dilbert).

As I explained in my book, there are two ways to make yourself valuable. The first way is to become the best at some specific skill, the way Tiger Woods dominated golf. But not many of us can be Tiger Woods. So that path is unavailable to 99% of the world.

I recommend a different approach. Most people can – with practice – develop a variety of skills that work well together. I call this idea the Talent Stack.

For example, I’m a famous syndicated cartoonist who doesn’t have much artistic talent, and I’ve never taken a college-level writing class. But few people are good at both drawing and writing. When you add in my ordinary business skills, my strong work ethic, my risk tolerance, and my reasonably good sense of humor, I’m fairly unique. And in this case that uniqueness has commercial value.
  • s275ironman
    7 years ago
    I'm paid hourly, but I also receive incentive-based bonuses. Anywhere from 25-50% of my income is from these bonuses.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    When I was working I was monthly salaried based on a 36 hour work week. Any thing over that was paid in over time rates from 1 & 1/2 half times normal, all the way up to triple time. There was also a small shift differential and holiday pay. 6 weeks of paid vacation. Company paid medical, dental, drug, $50K life ins, accident ins, short term disability, Long term disability. Co-pay pension plan. Free and reduced air transportation for myself, family & friends. All this under a "me too clause" union contract. I retired early at 68 with a very nice bonus for 42 years of service.
  • LecherousMonk
    7 years ago
    Nonexistent.
  • ButterMan
    7 years ago
    I pimp ho's. I'm not sure which category that falls into
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^Thats called piece work doesn't pay very much.
  • rickdugan
    7 years ago
    I own a business, so my income is based upon what I can sell and service.
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    Retiree here. Most of my prior life had a base pay system, with provisions for extra pay above base depending on how much extra work you did. I also experienced a commission only system, and a flat salary system in prior jobs. I preferred the base pay plus system.
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    Addendum: My "worldview" holds that the company owns your ass in a salary only* job, the job owns your ass in a commission only job, while a base salary plus system shifts the control of your life somewhat back into your court more.

* I recognize that there may be some profit sharing incentives in some cases, but the salary is the meat of ones compensation.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    RickyBoy: "I own a business, so my income is based upon what I can sell and service."

RickyBoy sells snake oil. Owns a snake oil sales business and services cock on the side.
  • whodey
    7 years ago
    Base salary + monthly incentive. While the incentives can vary greatly on a month by month basis it tends to add up to about 75% of my base salary over the course of the year. Salary covers my bills, insurance, 401k and other standard expenses and the incentive gets divided between retirement investments and entertainment.
  • DandyDan
    7 years ago
    I have always been hourly. I probably will be til I retire.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion