tuscl

OT: Uber does not allow it's drivers to csrry firearms

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Aventura, FL (upscale neighborhood in north Miami)

A minivan cuts off an Uber driver and minivan driver gets out w/ two guns in hand in an attempt to rob the Uber driver whom had just picked up a rider - Uber driver uses his weapon for which he has a concealed permit for and kills the would-be robber - now it remains to be seen what Uber does b/c it's their policy that neither drivers nor passengers are allowed to have a firearm on them while using the service, but the driver may have saved his life.

15 comments

• Subraman
    8 years ago
    -->"UBER drivers do not or are not allowed to take tips and all fees are billed to the riders credit card account.
    AM I the only one confused?"

You missed the part where he said this was in Florida. FLORIDA. Stupid crimes are high art there.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    What I asked myself is why they thought it was a robbery, perhaps it was a road-rage incident - suppossedly there was an accomplice in the passenger seat of the minivan whom took off and they subsequently found the minivan abandoned - also it is not known that glthe assailant knew for sure it was an Uber driver unless it was some kind of setup.
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    That is fucked up. They should be able to carry guns. Or uber should provide security
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Shit !!!
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    I did not know of this policy. As an Uber rider I have carried (legally) my concealed pistol. I will continue to do so.
  • grand1511
    8 years ago
    I smell a lot of bullshit here. How would the robber know it was an Uber car! They are unmarked. People use their own vehicles. And like said above, they don't carry cash. All payment is done electronically.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Uber cars are not unmarked. They usually have a small "uber" or "u" sticker on a window. Some Ubers in larger cities are all decked out with big stickers on the sides and I've even seen some with taxi lights on the roof like a traditional taxi.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Uber drivers are allowed to accept tips, it's just not mandatory or particularly common and they don't have a tip option on their app like Lyft does. I've tipped Uber drivers with a little cash many times, they all accepted.

As far as robbing an uber driver, I also heard a story once of an uber driver being held at gunpoint and forced to go to the bank's after hours drive through and take money out of his own account. So that has happened, too.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    I almost always carry my gun regardless of stupid signs or policies that say that concealed carry weapons are prohibited like Uber's policy. The only way that my gun gets discovered is if I use it to defend my life or somebody else's and in that instance the company looks idiotic if they complain about somebody having a gun in their business.
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    ^^^ well said
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    I tipped every Uber driver I used in Vegas last week, just a buck or two but they happily took it.
  • Maybe it was an Uber Eats delivery and they were trying to rob steak and lobster. More likely road rage or something though.
  • Mal2
    8 years ago
    I use lyft because of this policy.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Like John said, I used to leave my knives at home (particularly at work) when I would see those signs. Then conservatives at work told me that was optional and I was stupid for following them. So now I continue to carry, too.

Nina's right. Uber drivers will accept cash tips. Uber corporate is retarded. Tip your driver. :)
  • georgmicrodong
    8 years ago
    I live in Kentucky. Those restrictions have no force of law here, at least for the customer. The *most* Uber could do so me is bar me from future service. Big fucking deal. I get a different email address and CC number to register the app.

As for the drivers, pretty much the same deal. They can bar *future* driving, but they'd have to prove that the driver was carrying at the time if they wanted to withhold prior payments.

As for owners of "private property with public intent," i.e. retail stores, its only a crime if I refuse to leave when asked, and then it's only a trespassing charge, nothing else.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion