tuscl

Next President: What If?

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:15 AM
Let's just assume for a minute (wishful thinking) that any other repbublican candidate won other than Trump. Do you think they would beat Hillary? Now let's imagine Bernie got the nomination, who do you think would win in a Trump vs Bernie race?

25 comments

• pensionking
    8 years ago
    I'll play . . . Anybody other than Trump beats Hillary Trump beats Bernie Anybody other than Hillary or Bernie beats Trump in a landslide. Actually, Hillary may win in a landslide.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Key theme is that you can't win an American election anymore if you alienate minority groups -- especially Latinos. Jeb or Rubio would have been the best choice, and both would have a good chance against Hillary. Scott Walker had major financial support from the biggest GOP donors, and he would have a pretty good shot, too. Bernie was proposing pie-in-the-sky stuff that can't be paid for. I think he would lose to just about anyone. Hillary put Trump away for good last night. It's all over.
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    Hillary will beat Trump in a landslide, IMO. I think only Bernie would have trouble with Trump. Most Republican candidates would beat Hillary. Someone farther to the right, like Cruz, would win but it would be closer; someone like Kasich would leave her picking up the pieces of her shattered world. Someone like Ben Carson, who is a bit bizarre and might have flamed out in odd ways, might also lose to Hillary.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Random Member --> "Key theme is that you can't win an American election anymore if you alienate minority groups -- especially Latinos." --> ^^^ I understood this to be the takeway from the 2012 losses as well. And with immigrants one of the #1 issues is immigration and meaningful, fair immigration reform. The GOP should have taken the initiative here and been inclusive. 2016 could have turned out a lot different. [view link] --> "Their renewed push coincides with a fresh round of soul-searching among Republicans after Hispanic and Latino voters, who made up 10 percent of the electorate, broke for Obama over GOP nominee Mitt Romney by a 44-point margin." --> [view link] --> "But now, no reasonable person can say that immigration’s death -- in 2013 and 2014 -- is anyone’s fault but House Republicans. Still, we also understand why they killed it: They saw no short-term benefit. Yes, the long-term politics (for 2016 and 2020) cry out for Republicans to remove immigration as an issue. But doing so would be so painful in the process (just see Eric Cantor’s primary defeat).” --> [view link] --> ""[W]e must embrace and champion comprehensive immigration reform. If we do not, our Party's appeal will continue to shrink to its core constituencies only," the RNC declared. It warned, "If Hispanic Americans perceive that a GOP nominee or candidate does not want them in the United States (i.e. self-deportation), they will not pay attention to our next sentence."" --> --> "Two years later, the Republican Party has jettisoned that advice and moved in the opposite direction" -->
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    Trump loses huge; any real Republican would beat Hillary; Bernie would beat Trump. Simple fact is immigration is murdering America and we are so close to the point where there is no going back we are doomed, although momentum will carry us for another 20-30 years. Anyone under 45 has a miserable future, similar to Germany post WW1.
  • Prim0
    8 years ago
    No mater who wins.....we're going to lose.
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    What I find mind boggling is the joy progressives take with changing demographics in America as if an influx of poverty stricken uneducated foreigners with high birth rates, combined with the soaring birth rates of the poor will do anything other than cause america to collapse. Its the "new" coke of politics. The edsel of joy. The only benefit to having Hillary beat a Republican is that I feel morally obligated to pay all my taxes when my candidate wins and don't feel the same way when the enemy wins. If Bernie had won I would fail to declare the same percentage that I did with Obama in the White House. This year, after seeing the Republican field I started a barter system with clients. Instead of charging one client $4,000.00 for her divorce she purchased a week skiing vacation, at Snowbird, in the Cliff Lodge, for my wife and I and I did the divorce for costs only. She got a great discount, I received a trip I was doing anyway, and the Feds and State lost out on the 45% they would have taken. The trip and taxes would have cost me $4,000.00, so I break even, she wins and the government and those reliant upon it lost.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Most of the Republicans who ran in the primary would have a great chance in the election against Clinton, but none of them were able to do what Clinton will do: beat Trump. Makes you wonder why Republicans gave Trump the nomination; if they hate Clinton as much as they hate Obama you'd think they would have nominated someone who was less insane than they did. This to me just points out how broken the GOP has become. I voted for Sanders, but I think all will agree Sanders would have won the general election if he had been able to win the primaries.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    can we start over?
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    I think the people of America should vote for a write-in candidate, preferably the same one.
  • clubdude
    8 years ago
    Even though I vote democrat most of the time, I think Kasich had the best chance of winning against Clinton. Too many egos on the Republican side though. They wiped each other out, and look where they are now. I have age bias against Sanders (even though I'm past 60!). 75 is too old to be running for public office.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Wouldn't work Londonguy. My guess is that Batman or Superman would win the write-in spot
  • jbdsm
    8 years ago
    It's just crazy that out of all the people in the country we get these two to pick from. We all lose.
  • ButterMan
    8 years ago
    Hiliary is gonna win in a landslide. Bernie would also beat trump. Kasich and maybe rubio might have beat hiliary or bernie but they were not racist or redneck enough to get the nomination.
  • DandyDan
    8 years ago
    Hillary will win in a landslide. Bernie Sanders would probably have won in a bigger landslide, as no one under 30 would have voted for Trump. If the Republicans had had only 4 or 5 nominees, instead of the 17 they did prior to Iowa, I suspect they would have gotten someone other than Trump. But they cancelled each other out instead of going after Trump. The real fun will be what happens after the election with the Republicans.
  • pensionking
    8 years ago
    Kasich would probably have been the best choice, but he lacked Executive presence. The country likes style over substance. The GOP is a grand old mess right now. Biden would have been a better choice than Hillary. Anyway, prepare for a 7-2 left leaning Supreme Court soon. Now my Diet Coke is gonna get taxed like it's a pack of cigarettes. God help us all.
  • Throwbackthursday
    8 years ago
    I hate to hurt you good ole boys feeling. But I notice a pattern. All the candidates you're saying will beat Hillary, Are white boys. It will take another three election cycles, for a white male to even be consider for President. Keep thinking it's just Trump. Brown and Black people don't trust the white American male. Look in the mirror, you all are Trump.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Anyway, prepare for a 7-2 left leaning Supreme Court soon ----------------------------------------------------- ...assuming the Senate doesn't filibuster all nominees for the next 4 to 8 years.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    If the Dems do get a 7-2 Supreme Court, they can change the rules -- get rid of Citizens United, gerrymandering, and win back the House.
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    @ Mikey, do you think Batman or Superman would be worse? How about Condolezza Rice ?
  • Tiredtraveler
    8 years ago
    Virtually all the insiders that would win would be the same ol same ol! The Bush clan are so inside and inbred that have extra toes and no balls. Bush senior that all the dems love but Reagan hated(he brought him on the ticket so Bush would not sabotage the 1980 election) Reagan never allowed Bush senior in to cabinet meeting except for photo ops because he could not be trusted. After all his wife is a Pierce, Her grandfather was one of the most corrupt worthless presidents in history ranking third behind Obama and Carter. HE was a Democrat and was so worthless his own party refused to renominate him for reelection. So yes any of the insiders could beat the beast but they would be almost as bad. We have not had a decent president since Reagan. Both Bushs' got us into wars that have all but bankrupted us but I suppose Bush II did better than IGore would have done as he was quoted in remarking he would have used nukes on Afghanistan. and Iraq. I do not know about y'all but I am weary of picking the best of the worst. The Democrats foment violence at the polls,vote fraud and pack the courts to forward their agenda. Republicans are to frightened to speak up or do anything because they secretly are afraid they might just loose they do nothing jobs for life. They are two sides of the same coin.
  • chessmaster
    8 years ago
    ^eh, what are you on about? Trump would be the worst President EVER. worse than Bush II. Lol, are people really that desperate for an "outsider"? He's an immature dumbass and a bigot. He has not offered a single fucking solution to any of the issues in America. All I have heard come out of his mouth for his campaign has been: crooked hilary, blah, blah, blah, make america great again, blah, blah, I'm gonna build a wall, blah, blah, only I can beat isis, blah, blah, blah, everything is rigged, blah, blah. Meanwhile offering no insight as to how he plans to do anything. Matter of fact economists say he will send out economy into the shitter as well.
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    If you guys ever get a president worse than Bush II we better prepare for Armageddon..
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^^Your PM Tony Blair was pretty chummy with him.
  • WetWilly
    8 years ago
    I'm curious, how would a Clinton win result in a 7-2 Supreme Court liberal court? You're projecting out for years, expecting specific Justices will be replaced during her term? That's a lot of ifs.......
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion