tuscl

Decimated Strip Club Scenes

sinclair
Strip Club Nation
What cities used to have many strip clubs and now have either none left or one left?

The biggest example I have seen is East Dubuque, Illinois. It was a hub for smuggling and other illegal activities during Prohibition and stayed sketchy for many years after that. It was known as the "Illinois Bar Capital" and had around 50 bars for a town with less than 2,000 residents. It had 7 strip clubs that I knew of and possibly more:
Mint N Honey
Schnee's
Lucille's
Tuxedos
Diamond Girls (closed 2009)
River Queen (converted to a regular 2010)
Box Office (closed in 2011)

By 2011, they had all disappeared.

21 comments

• sinclair
    8 years ago
    *converted to a regular bar
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    This thread made me laugh. It reminded me of something in my "larger" small town. The city never had any ordinances to stop strip clubs in the city limits. So a guy opens up a strip club blocks from an elementary school and another guy opens one up across the street from a church.

Everyone in town raised hell but both clubs were allowed to open with little fight on their part. If I remember correctly the town still doesn't have an ordinance to block future establishments either, which is shocking because it is a very liberal town.

I can't answer your question but it also made me think of places where clubs used to kick ass but now they are weak:

Houston
    Providence RI
    Tampa
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Fort Lauderdale
  • goldmongerATL
    8 years ago
    Nashvegas. I 2nd Houston and SF. On a smaller scale I would add Greenville, SC. I hear Jacksonville is no longer extras everywhere. Can anybody comment on Jax?
  • goldmongerATL
    8 years ago
    Was listing places that still have clubs but are shells of their former selves.
  • DandyDan
    8 years ago
    I had always intended to go to East Dubuque once. I thought they eventually passed a law that effectively killed all the clubs there at once. Gulfport, IL, which is across the river from Burlington, IA, had a similar situation as well.

Not that there was really much of a scene here in Omaha, but I remember they used to have 10 different clubs here and now they are down to 2 overpriced bikini bars. Which is still better than Fremont, NE, which went from 2 to zero in 3 years.
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    desertscrub-->"san fran"

San Francisco definitely doesn't meet OP's definition of "What cities used to have many strip clubs and now have either none left or one left?"

But, although there's still 10ish clubs left, it is definitely true that SF's scene is a shadow of its former self -- especially considering that back in the late '90s, SF arguably had the single best SC in the country, and arguably was a contender for best SC scene overall.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    Orlando has become a waste;and.
  • sinclair
    8 years ago
    DandyDan- I was told Gulfport, Illinois at one time had a half dozen strip clubs. The town got flooded and many of them never came back. I remember:
    Badgirls
    Scooters
    Boss Hoggs
    Sam's

Two clubs eventually reopened in Gulfport. Sam's was reincarnated as Bada Bing. Boss Hoggs came back as Charlie's Angels.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    Someone said Ft. Lauderdale and I will second that.

Was Orlando ever good?
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Let me throw one out that might be off the radar a bit. Lansing, Michigan

In the 90's, Detroit was more cracked down than it is now. I know many guys that will attest that Lansing had the hottest girls in the state. Between the Deja Vu and a club cablled Omar's, they had talent that equalled or bettered Detroit. I'm mainly talking in terms of physical attractiveness, not necessarily extras.

Anymore, "wasteland" is a good description.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Some have mentioned Houston - although Houston was over the top a few years ago it doesn't strike me as decimated & it seems to have plenty of clubs w/ good mileage even if extras are down a bit but can apparently still be had in certain clubs.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I was going to mention Greenville SC too. It once had 2 or 3 nude clubs plus a few topless clubs. Now , no nude clubs and topless clubs are restricted and the scene has been decimated.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Maybe most of South Carolina should be included. Myrtle beach, Columbia, all places decimated compared to the way they used to be.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Oakland CA had 4, and then 3, and now zero clubs listed on TUSCL.

JS69 found an article explaining that they have outlawed strip clubs in Oakland. Clearly these laws are just as un-Constitutional as those from earlier decades.

But likely these Oakland places were not much of a strip club. Probably they were more just hooker bars with a stage. Probably now they still operate, just without the stage.

Anyone been to them and know for sure?

SJG

Janis Joplin - Down On me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSQCatgW…

http://doxyspotting.com/?p=116114
  • 3LeggedMan
    8 years ago
    Chicago was once a place where adults could have a good time. Now very little in town, most of the action now is in the 'burbs.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    flagooner,

You ask, "Was Orlando ever good?"

Yes, it was. Now, I am going back around 30 years ago. Damn, just realized it was about THIRTY years. Man time files and I am getting OLD!
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    Lol. I just moved to Orlando about 6years ago.

I lived in Dade through the 90s. Early 90s is when Ft. Lauderdale started coming down on the adult establishments.
  • Clubber
    8 years ago
    flag,

OBT used to be a great stretch of road, Also, there were a couple of good clubs in Casselberry. Sadly, long gone good times.

My regional office was in Orlando, so I got to spend some quality time there. I saw first hand the end of the good times as the Disney culture took over the area.
  • sinclair
    8 years ago
    Halifax, Nova Scotia used to have at least three strip clubs (The Den/Sensations Cabaret, Diamonds), if not more. The metro area has a population of 400,000.

Now there is only one left: Ralph's Place. Ralph's Place is very tame, only allowing air dances.
  • wallanon
    8 years ago
    Anybody been to San Diego clubs lately?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion