tuscl

Life after dancing.

Saturday, March 19, 2016 10:48 AM
Let me start out by saying I have no plans of leaving the stage any time soon. I have however been thinking about the day I do and how I would transition. I have danced basically my entire adult life. My only other job outside of dancing was waiting table for a year. My resume looks as if I haven't had a job since I was 19. If I choose to leave out dancing on my resume that is. I will admit that I am somewhat lazy and should have taken oppertunites to go to school. I instead did what a lot of dancer do and enjoyed money nice things hair make up and nail are always done. I really enjoy the party lifestyle. Out all night, drinking music and I get paid to be a part of it. Its kind of scary to think of life with a mon-fri job. I realize now that I have relied on something that is sure to not stay the same...my looks. I have seen other girls do the same thing and not once did I think about the fact that I am doing it too. As much as I love dancing it seems as if there is a time where dancing turns its back on you when your not the "hottest" thing anymore. ive worked with a few girls in there 40's that are still dancing and appeal to a different crowd and are still successful. I hope that is me but I think its time to start to figure out a plan b. Even though I could go to school and all its still a big change for me personally to consider a job outside of dancing. No cussing no drinking no party lifestyle. Its a job gotta show up on time and work on things without the instant feedback that I get inside the club. Maybe I am worried about it for nothing however it is scary and im certain that other dancers feel the same way. So any advice on life outside of dancing?

40 comments

• sclvr5005
    8 years ago
    Nothing is sadder than a 50+ year old stripper that eventually is fired for being too old and has to ho herself out on BP just to survive. Those are the ones who never planned anything beyond the end of the week and never saved any money. For your sake don't become that lifer.
  • beguiled
    8 years ago
    You could let JS69 get you pregnant.
  • poledancer83
    8 years ago
    yeah that is true and its part of the lifestyle as far as not planning anything because you don't really have to until you get fired.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    The DS has been working a civilian job for a while now. She misses the party atmosphere, and the cash. And always being the center of attention. But she still gets a boat load of dead presidents from me, and she recognizes that it's better for her to be away from the drug culture that permeates strip clubs. And she's still in school too. You really need an education to get anywhere in life. I'd figure out what you are good at and what you enjoy and then get an education in that field. Get a college degree now while you still have stripping as financial support. And start working a civilian job part time. It's better to slowly transition to a civilian job rather than to just jump ship all at once. It also wouldn't hurt to keep a couple of sugar daddies on the side for post stripping financial support.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    And if you want to, I'll be glad to do my best to get you pregnant.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Only advice I can give you is this; if you aren't motivated to get yourself set up, that's what you need to work on, becoming self motivated. If you don't find a way to self motivate your life will pass you faster than you have any idea. No one that I know that has been successful has been lazy, or content with things as they are. The best way you could prepare yourself for life after dancing is to get up off your ass and do something.
  • poledancer83
    8 years ago
    Great points 69 problem is figuring out what I would like to do. I haven't really had experience in anything but dancing. I thought about make up artist or something like that could be fun and at least I have some experience doing my own but the money is not going to be good. that's the only bad part about dancing at 19 I didn't have time to figure out what type of things I could be good at.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    The point of my post was you wont ever figure out what you are good at, unless you go and some different things, sitting around waiting, wont bring anything closer to you, even if you want to win the lottery you still have to go out and buy a ticket.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    There are tests that you can take to help judge what kinds of jobs you'd enjoy and be good at. These tests were a big help to one of my kids. You should take a couple of them.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    While I wouldn't say you NEED an education to get anywhere in life, an education does help. Usually today to secure your chance of making good money, and not just average or subpar money, you need an advanced degree. Masters, doctorate's, law, etc. You can "get by" on a bachelor degree. Of course with stripping you have the option of making tons of money and investing it if you're a smart business woman; by age 35 or so, a woman could retire from dancing and live off investments or open a business in the beauty, emtetainment, or fitness field. A dancer can also marry a rich man for financial security. I will have a couple of good degrees. Also on my resume I currently have experience in "customer relations" and being a "spokesmodel" for the company I used to be with, with my former agent. So that is fantastic. I also have an impressive internship as a legal assistant.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Oops that was supposed to say entertainment* lol.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    For once I agree with that nutjob, JohnSmith. I've been thinking about this very topic lately with my own SB who is now 22 and I have this persistent white-night syndrome that I just can't seem to shake off. Dancing when you are young and attractive is a practical and rational choice. But you definitely need an exit game. So like JS said, find something that interests you right away, and work at it gradually. Go to school. Our country sends a huge amount of GDP on healthcare -- so anything in that area is a guaranteed income source. Things like physical therapist, physicians assistant, radiology tech, CNA, etc.. Save your money and learn how to invest. Oh, and nuclear physicist is also a good option. I really feel for young people who are trying to make their way in this fucked-up economy. I think my generation had way more opportunities to get ahead.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    knight=night
  • poledancer83
    8 years ago
    It is a fucked up economy and it is def. tough. its scary even with dancing the money is not consitant but the bills are. And the sad part is someone like me that doesn't really like school cant find a job without some sort of degree. Also investing is a good idea too.
  • larryfisherman
    8 years ago
    I agree with JS69, you pretty much need a education to get anywhere (unless you're a TV star, movie star, or professional musician).
  • Ugluck75
    8 years ago
    Find yourself a sugar daddy that you would also consider potential boyfriend material. If you develop a relationship, maybe he could help support you while you go to school and transition to the civilian sector.
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    8 years ago
    You can always join the military. That doesn't require an education beyond high school and they pay for all of your health and dental needs and requirements.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    I'm all for education (which is why I'm going for an advanced degree), but fwiw, 2 of my regulars that I can think of have had mo college education. One made about a quarter million a year and the other was a multi-millionaire. Both own their own businesses.
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    If you don't like school, focusing on education may not be a good thing for you. There are a lot of young people with degrees who underemployed. A college degree is no guarantee of a good job. You should look into sales. Sales people are personable and often good-looking, and your skills as a dancer dealing with people would be helpful. A good sales person doesn't need the same technical knowledge as a good engineer or computer programmer. A couple dancers I know have gotten real estate licenses and sell real estate on the side. Marriage is not a bad option either. You would need to find a man with a real job. I know 2 dancers who left the business and got married to men with their own small businesses.
  • DoctorPhil
    8 years ago
    @jackslash “A college degree is no guarantee of a good job.” agreed and what’s more it is most assuredly not a guarantee of an education especially in this day and age. fucking off in college for a 17 – 22 year old can be fine but if you are “in” college in your mid twenties/thirties well there had better be a reason beyond “i am going to get my college degree”. at that age you are behind the power curve for that track and you are unlikely to ever catch up. think long and hard about that one before you waste time and money trying to get some worthless piece of paper. it may be admirable to get a degree if you’ve got nothing else but you need to make up for lost time. (***if you want a real education you are much better getting it through self study and avoiding college anyway). i would also caution you to think long and hard about all those healthcare jobs. it is an option but there is a whole lot of down side that most people never consider. there is also an entire industry to provide “training” at usually a very, very steep cost that they will encourage you to borrow to pay for because after all, you will be making so much money it will be worth it – not. and despite the promises there are no guarantees you’ll pass the licensing or even if you do, finding an entry job is usually not that easy (certainly not your dream job anywhere near where you want to be). (***be careful of any of these we will train you for an exciting career scams in any field). i would suggest that you look into a trade/skill type job. barber/beautician, cpa, book keeper etc. these often times don’t require quite the same level of upfront investment of time or money. they also don’t tend to require a high overhead to operate your own business, you can work for yourself or as an employee or independent contractor often working your own hours and these professions are generally very portable so you can change locations as you desire. and for the most part no one is going to be asking what you were doing in your twenties. be aware that what they do usually require is some sort of licensing. if you get past that hurdle you have something you can sell with an existing ready market that is largely recession roof. these fall into the general heading of being your own boss (or running your own business) which frankly is the best way to go. fail or succeed, it is on you but self worth, self satisfaction and being able to tell whoever to fuck off – priceless. i also understand that there is a new world order organization looking for ex-strippers to provide the male members with sex on demand. it might just be one of those urban myths but i hear they are headquartered in a basement (with plans to expand to a tree house and then open franchises in Denny’s parking lots) somewhere out in San Jose. seriously, do some research and ask questions. the longest journey begins with one step but you do have to take that first step. good luck and whatever you do don’t go around saying you’re going to be a lawyer
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    I hate school, too, but decided it was better than hating any dead end job. If you use "hate school" as an excuse, then you'll always be in the habit of making excuses instead of making solutions. Good luck! I could never go through with what dancers have to. Ugh!
  • Phoenix133
    8 years ago
    I suggest going to school for something you like, or until you can figure out what you would be into maybe try to get a job in the same kind of scene like bar tending. You might like cosmetology or something fashion related or maybe be into something with sales where you get to use some of the skills you learned from dancing (just in a different perspective.) I'm planning to go to school for massage therapy (something I have been debating about between that or going to be a personal trainer, still might do that later.) I plan to work in a chiropractors office and if for what ever reason that doesn't work out then I will pursue just doing private sessions from home.
  • Estafador
    8 years ago
    save every penny you get. Spend ONLY on what's necessary. don't party much outside of work. I never thought I hear myself say this but...finesse the crap out of gullible men that will buy you drinks or whatever. Hey, they aren't me so I don't care so much. HOPE you never run into me when your trying to finesse a ,man for money, because I will leave you dry as a bone. When you feel it's time to leave the stage, leave knowing that you will be able to support yourself while working at a crappy job WHILE going to school. Don't lose yourself in drinks and drugs and you probably won't have to write downer posts like this.
  • DaOnion
    8 years ago
    I agree with JackSlash. Sales could be a good option for you. You have great experience working with the public and have sales experience too. Even though you'll be "old" in stripper years, you'll still be an attractive woman, which will help you sell to men. You might be able to write up a BS job on your resume, which shows your actual sales and customer service skills, without saying you were a stripper. Maybe you have a regular who owns his own business and wouldn't mind vouching for you, by giving you a reference. Just don't have Kramer be your reference: [view link]
  • HungryGiraffe
    8 years ago
    JS69 provided some great practical advice. I too helped my SB exit stripping and finish her college degree. The steady SD financial support was key. Just boils down to what you truly value and want out of life.
  • K
    8 years ago
    One of the young ladies I hangout with began buying inexpensive houses , fixing them up and renting them out. her goal is to have enough by the time she retires that with a bar tending job or cutting hair, she can have a comfortable lifestyle. The hardest part was the first mortgage. Once she had the one and made payments on time. the banks were more than willing to help her with the next one. She has four now. She refuses to rent to the other dancers. She'd learned enough about the subject so she is considering going into real estate sales. We make the obvious jokes of free lap dances or blow jobs with the purchase of a house.
  • GoVikings
    8 years ago
    jackslash is right. a college degree doesn't guarantee you a good job. but generally speaking, it does pay off for people--especially if you research ahead of time and find out what jobs/fields are growing. in other words, find out what jobs are in demand and get a general idea of what they pay---THEN decide a major among which one most interests you.
  • mjx01
    8 years ago
    First, you have to figure out what kind of job you are able and willing to do. Second, networking. If you are aiming for anything better than burger flipper or Walmart greater, who you know has A LOT to do with getting a job IMO. People are more will to roll the dice on someone they are familiar with than an unknown quantity. Gaps in the resume are a huge strike against you. This makes finding someone willing to look past a resume gap (or what fills that gap) is even more important.
  • mmdv26
    8 years ago
    Strippers over 25 shouldn't believe that they can go to college and then generate an actual career. I have known exceptions to that generalization, but only 2 out of hundreds of strippers I have known. Lawyer and RN. Girls who strip for money usually aren't real good at going to class regularly, reading complicated stuff, comprehend it and then remember it. Maybe you are the exception. Your best bet is to go to work as a sales rep for a small manufacturing or supply company. Avoid going to work for Club customers, as they have been buying dances from you for the past year with company funds that should have been used to "grow" the company, not their dick. You'll be able to charm your way in to an interview. Try to find a field that's interesting and maybe unique. I knew a dancer who became a service tech for a machine shop supply company. Primary job was to investigate equipment problems at existing customers and recommend solutions as well as introduce (sell) customer to new tools ($$$), services ($$$$) and products. Of course adding to custy base was big part of it as well. As a last resort you can always offer specialized services through internet sites like BP. That should get you to age 50. Then you can think about retiring from that and starting a career - after you've saved up some money.
  • rogertex
    8 years ago
    1. Find a way to enjoy partying lifestyle without need to get drunk or stoned. At the end of the day - you are a people-person and will get the same "high" as many get from alcohol/weed. Less alcohol will make you look younger longer. This is important. 2. A number of dancers have found a real job. Nurse assistant, Dental hygienist, Cosmetologist. Para Legal. Each required going to school, following a rigid schedule, passing exams - and eventually a regular schedule. From the sound of it - this eventuality would be too boring for you. Likewise, Yoga instructor, Massage, Real Estate Broker, Legal - all are over crowded - much work little pay. 3. Sales/Marketing/Modeling: DaOnion is right. These jobs are better suited for good looking, personable people. Some less known jobs ++ Booth Hostess at Exhibitions. Direct traffic to your booth. There are over 3000 conventions annually in US alone. Hot women at Computer, Machinary, Medical conferences draw more crowds to your employers booth. This type of gig gives you travel, partying and meeting new people (note - I did not say meeting interesting people). ++ Auto/Motorcycle/Tractor spokeswoman. One can take a 3 day motorcycle class and demonstrate cool features on a new bike (or even a tractor). Guy customers like a hot woman telling them about their stuff. Women customers feel a little more at ease with a female sales person. In general - become a sales person, spokes person in male dominated businesses. (google Kim Komando) ++ Investigative Reporter: Start with a local newspaper. Even free part-time. Do a good job. Then join FBI or CIA. Remember don't settle for shitty assignments working some crappy place in middle east. Insist Europe, Japan - and management in government agencies don't like to argue with an attractive woman. Good luck - and don't forget us TUSCL gentle folks when you become rich & notorious !
  • JohnBuford
    8 years ago
    I'm thinking something in sales would [view link] already have good people skills. That's first and foremost. Product knowledge can be learned. You work where/when you want to and so long as you are making your numbers your boss will let you do your thing.
  • Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    I'd recommend exploring an online university - see if any of the degree programs appeal to you. If you find a program that seems interesting - and inspiring - then wait a bit - and revisit that idea in a week. If it still seems inspiring - then make a commitment and get started. You can do the studies when you have a few hours free - and you can get moving on this while you are still dancing. As you move along your degree program - you can also take advantage of the placement services - and you may be able to find a job that will allow you to party a bit - and still enjoy a consistent income. Some jobs can be done fully online - and they will pay nicely if you have certain skills that jump up in demand. I wish you the best in your decisions.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Pharmaceutical rep.
  • s88
    8 years ago
    Real estate agent. Work the hours/days you want to. Its a great low income, low hours, but plausible day job. Fills a resume time gap. Leaves lots of time for being a dancer, and you have to do your hair, nails, and makeup identically between stripping and representing.
  • s88
    8 years ago
    Hair stylist or makeup artist are also related to stripping jobs that strippers already have some experience with as stripping.
  • Subraman
    8 years ago
    -->" My resume looks as if I haven't had a job since I was 19. If I choose to leave out dancing on my resume that is" This is one of those areas that seems like it could tricky ... not insurmountable, but not every employer will find it acceptable that you've been a stripper, or alternatively, that you couldn't explain what you did for 5 years (or whatever). I know at least two strippers who have covered this with the help of a dedicated regular who has is own business, and is willing to vouch for her. For example, one of the guys owns a construction business, and told her to put herself down as front-office and customer service for his business, and he'd vouch for her if her next prospective employer called him. I also know a stripper whose family owns a restaurant, and she arranged to claim that she was a waitress there for the past years. It's an option if you have a close enough regular who owns his own business. Oh, last thing... I know a stripper whose stepping stone outside was as a waitress. As a stripper, she was hot enough to get a choice job, first as a cocktail waitress at a club, then moving up to bottle service, where she says she made as much as when she was stripping (though many strippers are not hot enough, and/or don't have the waitressing skills, to get the choice bottle service jobs). That leveraged her looks and customer service skills into a job that paid as much as stripping, that she could put on her resume, while she figured out her next transition.
  • DoctorPhil
    8 years ago
    about all the become a real estate agent advice, yeah it is an option but something like 9 out of 10 newly licensed agents have given up within the first year. it is not an easy way to make a living for most people. look into becoming a property appraiser if real estate is the area you are interested in. again you can work for yourself, largely working your own hours low overhead to get into business and unlike real estate agents it is largely a recession proof field. property appraisers are in demand if the market is hot or banks are foreclosing or simply if people are dying and their heirs need an appraisal for tax purposes. pet grooming is another independent business that falls into the same category. Americans will always spend money on their pets regardless of the state of the economy. in the short term consider becoming an independent mobile notary public. there is a demand for notaries to physically go to places like nursing homes where people need the service but can’t go somewhere to get it done. easy and inexpensive to get started and you can set up your appointments to suit your schedule. you won't get rich and it won’t begin to pay the bills like a full time job but it is something you can do quickly, earn a few bucks, fill in some blank time on your resume and give you some very valuable experience running a business as a sole proprietor. do some research and ask some questions about whatever pops into your head. try something. if it doesn’t work or it is not for you try something else. the options are pretty limitless for anyone to do well and quite possibly become rich in America but you do have to put in the effort. and if you aren’t a conservative now you will be when you experience the leeches taking your hard earned money and we need more conservatives and less leeches that’s for sure. good luck
  • Phoenix133
    8 years ago
    you know it sounds little kiddish but maybe even try to find a place that would let you job shadow to see if you might like it as a job.
  • ilbbaicnl
    8 years ago
    Dancers who just age out but aren't burnt out on the head-games are naturals for sales jobs. Just have to keep in mind that in most other sales jobs besides stripper there is less hard sell. Also, most custies like dancers who as unfiltered as they are, but in just about any other job, you will be expected to be much more filtered, especially being a woman.
  • dudefromsd
    8 years ago
    My ATF joined the army a few years back. Now she's stationed in Georgia and is a Med Tech or something.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion