tuscl

It's Not Chackin Fangers But Everything About McDonalds Fish-O-Filet

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
5 facts about the loved and hated Filet-O-Fish
Mary Bowerman, USA TODAY Network

Despite being known as a burger-giant, during Lent McDonald's has another top-seller: The Filet-O-Fish sandwich.

McDonald's sells nearly 25% of their wild-caught Alaska Pollock fish sandwiches during Lent, when many Catholics forgo meat on Fridays, according to spokeswoman Becca Hary.

The loved and hated Filet-O-Fish sandwich owes it's existence on the McDonald's menu to a Cincinnati-franchise owner who noticed in the 1960s that he was losing Catholic customers on Fridays due to the burger-only options.

Here are five interesting facts about one of the fishiest items on the menu.

1. Lou Groen, who owned the first McDonald's restaurant in Cincinnati, Ohio, came up with the idea of a Filet-O-Fish sandwich in 1962. The people in his neighborhood were predominantly Catholic and during Lent Groen was making next-to-nothing on Fridays, according to McDonald's archivist Mike Bullington. He created a Filet-O-Fish recipe and took it to headquarters, where McDonald's chief Ray Kroc was also preparing his own meatless alternative, Bullington said.

In the 60s, McDonald's chief Ray Kroc prepared a meatless alternative to the McDonald's burger called the more
Kroc challenged Groen to a Friday sell-off to see whether customers preferred Kroc's Hula Burger, which consisted of a piece of grilled pineapple and cheese on a bun, or the Filet-O-Fish. Bullington said Groen won by a landslide, with the Hula Burger selling six sandwiches and Filet-O-Fish selling 350.

2. Welcome to the permanent menu. In 1965, the Filet-O-Fish sandwich became the only non-hamburger menu item. A sandwich only cost $0.29. Sandwiches for everyone!

3. The Filet-O-Fish isn't just a popular item in the U.S. The sandwich is now served overseas in countries like Russia, Japan and India.

4. There's a wasabi version of the sandwich in Asia, and in the U.S., select McDonald's carry an Old Bay Filet-O-Fish.

5. Believe it or not, the Filet-O-Fish is actually fish. McDonald's uses Marine Stewardship Council certified wild-caught Alaska Pollock.

11 comments

• rickdugan
    9 years ago
    I prefer Wendy's and Arby's fish sandwiches to the one sold at McDs, but the McDs' version isn't horrible and I'd eat it if I didn't have a better option. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do on a Friday during Lent.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Alaska Pollock is one of the cheapest fish you can get, and for good reason. It's a step below Tilapia! The only recipe I have for Pollock is you put it on a board with onion, herbs, spices, put it in a smoker for an hour, take it out, throw away the fish and eat the board.

The fact McDonald's made a winning sandwich from Pollock is a tribute to them.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    I read this article this morning and all I can think about is that damn shitty sandwich. If a break down and buy one today looks like I'll be spending the rest of my afternoon on the can. You guys better post some good stuff for me to read this afternoon!
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    Not a bad fish sandwich - and it serves it's purpose on Fridays during Lent. When I worked at McDonalds - it wasn't a bad choice.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I've stated before that the Filet-o-Fish is my favorite sandwich at McD's. It's about the only thing I can eat there anymore.

But my local store has started using a standard toasted bun instead of the classic steamed bun they are supposed to use on the fish.

I've googled this and I don't see its a nationwide change. The fluffy steamed bun is what makes it so good.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I tried the Wendy's fish last Friday and it wasn't very good. But the Arby's TV commercials look good
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I got a flyer in the mail. The Filet-O-Fish is $1.69 every Friday for the rest of the year. Yum!
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    The only thing this has to do with this site is the smell.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^ not true one time at this five club in San Antonio I actually left the club with a stripper (that's rare) and at 2am we drove through a McDonald's and she ordered a fish sandwich, I ordered McNuggets and we shared a fry. See, strippers like fish too!!! I don't want a stripper fucking me on an empty stomach!
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I skipped all fish today. Ate two egg sandwiches on buttered and toasted bread with ketchup on the egg for lunch and supper. It tasted a lot better to me than any fish sandwich. Eggs were well cooked but not burnt.

I've eaten the fish sandwich many years ago. I've eaten fish sticks too at home until I found out many had MSG which does not agree with me.
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    I used to eat the Filet of Fish, but I think they changed the Tartar sauce recipe. I started getting stomach cramps and I felt like puking after eating the sandwiches. I said the hell with this and stopped eating them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion