tuscl

OT: Pappy Van Winkle

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Can anyone get this?

I have a few friends here and there that have been lucky enough to get this, and I have tasted through most of them (10, 12, 15, 20 and Rye). Most of these guys have children that live in big cities (Chicago, DC, New York, Miami, LA, etc.) and they tell their kids to ask for it every time they go into a liquor store, and it's amazing how often the person behind the counter pulls a bottle from under the desk and sells it to them. I'm guessing fags in LA aren't into it as much as old farts on the East Coast and South.

I had a liquor store locally that got them in about a month ago and sold out in hours. They were selling the 10 for $200 and it went up from there. Most of my friends were able to pay retail which was under $100 for everything.

There's better things out there, but the mystic of it is half the draw.

12 comments

• JuiceBox69
    9 years ago
    Are you a Alcohol ?
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    alcoholic? yes, yes I am
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    Is it a Bourbon?
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "Is it a Bourbon?"

It's brilliant bourbon! I agree that the mystique is part of the "pappy mania" but it is top shelf hooch!

I heard that Anthony Bourdain said he wanted a full back tattoo of Pappy Van Winkle! I hope that was a joke! ;)

And to any strippers considering a big, ugly Pappy tattoo please reconsider! That would be non-brilliant! :(
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    The Kardashian's of Bourbon

Famous for being famous
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Id love to try it but i dont see how it could live up to price and hype. That said i did get on a waiting list to buy it at least for retail price but who knows how many years that could take.

There are very good/great bourbons you can get for a much better price like Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, etc. What other bourbons do you fellers like?

What other Bourbon's
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    9 years ago
    I'm a bourbon guy. I love Pappy Van Winkle and it deserves *some* of it's mystique and expense, but not all.

Knob Creek is a favorite and so is Woodford Reserve. I have a Pritchard's Double Chocolate Bourbon that I like a lot.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    I like knob creek but I am more of a scotch drinker
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    I like Bourbon Street Circus, Phoenix, AZ
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    Motörhead hit the nail on the head when describing pappy.
  • DroidX
    9 years ago
    I got a bottle of 20yr old last year, and it required some luck. Either become a big buyer at a local store that gets a decent quantity, or settle for a juice in the same family.

I would buy:

Elmer T. Lee
    Stagg JR
    Weller 12

• jester214
    9 years ago
    It used to be easier to find. Was it all the press they got when they had the theft?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion