tuscl

Empire, FOX TV ??? Blaxploitation???

san_jose_guy
money was invented for handing to women, but buying dances is a chump's game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZu1WoD9…

http://www.fox.com/empire/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(20…

I don't watch television.

But I saw something about this on a magazine cover while going thru the supermarket checkout isle. So I've tried to find out what it is.

I'm seeing blacks involved in the music business, most having serious criminal records, and still running their business like organized crime.

I'm finding this improbable, and I'm also finding the domineering female characters to be ridiculous. These are just my first impressions. And then it is a soap opera, all too melodramatic.

To me this looks like maybe the modern version of a Blaxploitation movie. And then with the Fox name on it, that only amplifies my concerns.

Anyone ever watched this, have any feelings about it?

I'll be back to some ongoing threads next week.

SJG

20 comments

• SuperDude
    9 years ago
    It feeds racist stereotypes.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    None of these shows are very realistic. take Sons of Anarchy.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    : )

JTN
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    Obviously there is over dramatization in most drama shows. I know someone who has worked in that industry that said from the musical producing standpoint most of it is very realistic.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Dont worry about it sjgay you can syay gone, this place will be gine without you.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    ^^^English?
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Not smart enough to figure out a couple typos Randy? Sorry my typing from phone doesn't meet your standards, but after listening to your aweful songs you should apologize to everyone on the board.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    ^^^I'm on Billboard's Emerging Artists Chart, you fucking homo, you'll be shining my shoes in a year or so. Now go run along and suck Juice's dick like you do so well and learn some English while you're at it.

Micdrop.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Pussy boy you won't make it in the music business if you can't take people not all liking your music. Such a sensitive faggot, go stick that mic up your ass pussy boy.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    http://realtime.billboard.com/?chart=eme…

Are you embellishing a bit i dont see the great P- nemesis on the emerging artist list? I see Vinnie Paz who has been at it forever on there and has sold albums but yeah you are just as good, ha.
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    ime, why should ranukam listen to his own songs and then apologize to us? Dangle participles much?
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Why can't we all just get along?
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    I'm not wrapped into it and probably have only seen like half the show, but it's at least entertaining and I like Taraji's acting. I also like some (not all) of their casting decisions, besides the big names which are mostly for ratings. But they've casted a lot of small-time actors, sometimes even for 'principal roles', who have very little television experience. I think that's cool. The network it's on is a little confusing though.

Fun fact, I had a principal role on a tv series on a major network once... I only had two scenes (in one of them I had lines lol). I never watched it. I got paid well though and have even gotten some residuals. It was one of the most stressful things I've ever done lol, I will not pursue acting.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    mikeya02 wrote, "None of these shows are very realistic. take Sons of Anarchy."

Good point, comparing it to Sons of Anarchy. Of course I don't watch that either, but as you mention it I do see the connection. Both programs where the characters are supposed to get to you.

Fox has never been something to take seriously at all, especially their news programming.

SJG
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    LOL I'm watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix right now and was talking about how unrealistic it is.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^It really has some great scenes, but as a whole, c'mon man
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    Right. I've been letting my ex crash at my apartment lately since his job is close by, and he started SoA on my Netflix. As soon as I started watching it I'm like "ok this is really unrealistic." But, I admit it's decent entertainment for when nothing else is on. But they couldn't have listened to the consultants they hired. Or maybe they didn't care at all about reality and were going for pure entertainment.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately I know some people in real life who are like the characters in Sons of Anarchy. One in particular beat someone to death some years back. He got the charge down from Murder 1 to Manslaughter and he did 3 years.

Psychologists who deal with crime talk about 3 types of immature persons.

1. Passive conformists. They do what they are supposed to do.
    2. Cultural conformists, they identify with those who engage in anti-social acts.
    3. Anti-social manipulators.

This guy is of this third type. Persons of type 2 do stupid stuff to try and keep up with him and impress him.

For me, just listening to him talk for a while is extremely disturbing. But those of type 2 continue to listen with rapt attention.

He has been involved in some violent incidents and I've told local authorities that he is like Charles Manson, in that there is a cadre of trouble makes that he is able to control.

SJG
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Ontario Canada, Universal Basic Income!!!!

www.sciencealert.com/a-canadian-province…

I think a basic income guarantee is mandatory. Capitalism is what creates unemployment. And Cecil Williams and the people who run Guild Memorial United Methodist Church in San Francisco have got it right. Poverty is caused by social marginalization.

So a corollary is simply this, everyone wants to do well. They want to win the admiration of family and friends. So if they are not doing well, then there must be some social marginalization or disability at work here. But as the main problem is marginalization, then we should not talk about disability, as usually this just means more marginalization.

And of course it is absurd that people should be accepting psychiatric labels. These are just an extreme form of oppression.

So for there to be justice there has to be this basic income guarantee, or what amounts to cradle to grave welfare.

The typical person on welfare takes far less out of our economy than those employed do. And if the welfare recipient is not driving around much in a car, then they are treading far more lightly on the earth than those who senselessly burn up gas and dump CO2 into the atmosphere to do jobs which produce absolutely nothing which people need to live.

Now welfare takes money out of gov't coffers, but in the US welfare has never been more than 3% of federal expenditure. This is much less than corporate welfare and other expenses directed to the betterment of the middle class in order to maintain political allegiance, or to keeping the poor down. So welfare is a cheaper way to keep our society going than the present state of affairs.

And then as far as federal accounts, it is the federal gov't which controls the printing press, the furnace, and interest rates which multiply the availability of money by the inverse of the interest rate. Suffice to say, federal accounts and the money supply are all under gov't control, hence it is artificial. It is just a matter of who and what are being served by it.

So as those who are not doing well are simply the victims of social injustice, we must redress this social injustice.

1. Stop using psychiatric labels, learning disability labels, or morality labels.

2. Offer people value producing work, not nonsense just to get a paycheck.

3. Provide this cradle to grave welfare system as efficiently as possible, and understand that everyone wants to be a useful and meaningful part of our society.

4. Follow my recommendation and hold parents accountable for exploiting their children, using them to give themselves a adult identity. This amounts to psychological child abuse. So besides criminal prosecution where practical, also prevent disinheritance and offer something like a divorce from one's parents when their is parent v child animosity. Make the parents pay, and pay dearly. Make it so that child exploitation no longer pays.

5. And for those who insist on calling the poor lazy or immoral, know that this is how Capitalism works. It is the family where this starts, with the designation of a child as the blacksheep. Those who denigrate the poor are just doing what their parents did to them. So the poor and marginalized need to start standing up for themselves rather than submitting. They and all of us must start engaging in public advocacy and non-violent civil disobedience.

6. And then since the New Economy and Libertarianism are really just the old Social Darwinism and Eugenics Movement, saying that the poor are not fit to compete, we all need to be prepared to do more than just be non-violent. We don't want to be like Anne Frank's father, hiding in an attic waiting for the Gestapo. We need to be ready to engage in guerrilla warfare, the use of lethal force, and without taking prisoners. Unless we are willing to do this, then we are helping the eugenicists who say that we are not fit to live. Gandhi and Jesus lived in violent revolutionary times. They were only able to accomplish their works because others were maintaining the constant threat of lethal violence on a large scale.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_warfare
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Mr. IME, thank you for replicating my post and bumping this old thread!

SJG

Beethoven's 9th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8J…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion