tuscl

Are CD's and DVD's outdated?

I like my collections but it seems streaming will eventually replace everything

20 comments

• DandyDan
    9 years ago
    I like CD's, because they often come with artwork attached and I wonder how many classic bands would make it if they started now. If Kiss started now, I doubt they would do much, because their music is fairly generic rock, and people would not see the face paint in an audio stream. And that's just one band amongst many. As for DVD's, that's why they all have extras anymore.

I think something has been lost by streaming everything, but I have a hard time saying what.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    It's like books. They still have a niche value.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    Yes.

My music is all digital. Yohoho and all that.

I don't really buy movies anymore.
  • clubdude
    9 years ago
    Now I know I'm old. I still have records and VHS, and equipment to play/view them on!!
  • MrDeuce
    9 years ago
    I have huge collections of books (many thousands), CDs (hundreds), DVDs (hundreds), and even VHS cassettes (hundreds) because I'm old-fashioned enough to want to *own* my information/entertainment in physical form. However, the world is clearly moving away from books and other physical media to downloading and streaming. This is probably a good thing, but it's hard for me to adjust to.

I reached an inflection point a few years ago when I stopped at a shopping mall in my hometown that has been in business for nearly 50 years. The plan was to browse the classic rock CDs at a FYE store, but FYE had been replaced with another fucking Foot Locker or Gap or something. Since the Waldenbooks and the Suncoast Video at that mall had already closed, I had no reason to go back -- so I haven't set foot in a mall for (I think) four years.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I just saw a piece on the news that vinyl records are making a small comeback. There's one factory that can't keep up on production.

Both young people and old collectors nostalgia collectors are buying them
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    VHS is an awful format. I'll listen to arguments in favor of DVDs. But VHS tapes wear out and don't survive heat or moisture well at all.

I do like physical books, although I also like having 5 or 6 books on my Kindle when I travel.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    Yes they are.

I think eventually DVDs and CDs will disappear.

Vinyl never will, that is a true niche item. DJs still use vinyl (although the majority uses CDs and music files nowadays). Some people much prefer the warmth, and sound quality on vinyl.
  • chessmaster
    9 years ago
    CDs are. DVDs aren't quite yet.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    You can't replace actually holding a book and reading it with an iPad. We have tons of ebooks but we also have a lot of actual books. While we have around 75GB's or so of music ripped to our network I'll never get rid of our 1200 or so CD's that are boxed up in a closet. I still buy the occasional CD. I rip it to our network and then put the CD in storage but I OWN the CD and won't be having an argument ever with anyone about whether I bought it or not when a drive dies or it gets deleted.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Only time I can think you need a DVD is if you were installing a new operating system and didn't have a PXE servers.

Beyond that between the speed of the net and cloud storage, yes they are dead.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    But don't CD's produce better sound? And my DVD's seem to have a better HD picture than streaming
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^ yes you are correct but convenience is outranking quality for most people.

I still feel bad for the mom and pop movie and music stores. Not for blockbuster, fuck them.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Y'all should have bought Netflix four years ago.No brainer.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I'm replacing my CD's & DVD's with USB sticks. I now have all of my 61 ponos on one stick.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    I own lots of books and have CD's, DVD's, VHS, cassettes and even vinyl. I've started to get rid of my cassettes and VHS because CD and DVD are superior. I think they will fade sadly but until they do I will continue to collect.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    @shailynn-
    Blockbuster has been gone for at least 2 years now. I think in the last 3 years the 2 stores near me were open, I went a combined total of 3 times.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    We used to buy pre-played DVDs from movie gallery all the time. Over the last couple of years we've had a few massive yard sales and sold almost every movie we owned. We kept a handful of ones we REALLY liked but we easily sold 200+ DVDs for $1 each and just cleared house. Movie Gallery is now defunct as well. If we want to watch a movie now we pull it up on the android box. I like the fact that there's less clutter now.
  • former_stripper
    9 years ago
    Speaking of defunct stores, I worked near a Tower Records when it was being liquidated. At first the sales really weren't (started at 10% but raised to the full price)but once it started hitting 40% and up it became a good deal. Plus everyday they had specials, like certain CDs a $1.00 or buy five get the sixth free. A few times I spent about $125.00 which sounds like a lot to begin with, until I mention it was 80% off so the receipt said I said something like $400 dollars. I was able to really complete several collections of CDs and DVDs, like the Simpsons. They were actually giving out posters too every time. This was also around Christmas so that was nice to do shopping very cheaply.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I haven't watched a movie on DVD in at least 6 or 7 years, but somebody must be. Every week at the grocery store there's always people getting a DVD out of Red Box
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion