tuscl

Lawsuit seeks to legalize prostitution in California

whodey
Fat bastard that can afford to fuck hot strippers

17 comments

• tobala
    9 years ago
    I've often wondered since prostitution has been legal in Nevada since 1970 why some other states haven't followed suit. Maybe its starting to happen.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    If they do I'm gonna miss sneaking around and setting up playdates on the down low.
  • tobala
    9 years ago
    @Lopaw- Old habits are hard to break.
  • Josh43
    9 years ago
    “The group says it raised $30,000 last year to hire an attorney and file the lawsuit.”
    With a mammoth budget like that, how could they possibly fail? *sarcasm*

"Social science clearly demonstrates that the criminalization of prostitution puts sex workers at risk of abuse because it discourages them from reaching out to law enforcement,"

Maybe, but what effect does legalization have on trafficking? Criminalization of prostitution in Sweden brought the level of trafficking down. When you bring trafficking into the equation it becomes a pretty complicated issue with no clear answers.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I'd rather things remain the same if changes would result in Nevada bordello type prostitution.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    @tobala - Indeed. Even if they did legalize it, I would still sneak around and act like they didn't.
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    In Rhode Island a loophole in the law made prostitution legal for several years recently. The arrest rate for rape dropped significantly and the rate of STD infection reported at hospitals dropped precipitously. A coincidence?
  • impala
    9 years ago
    Don't hold your breath waiting. And remember, its not that Nevada legalized prostitution, its that they never really made it illegal to start with.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "In Rhode Island a loophole in the law made prostitution legal for several years recently. The arrest rate for rape dropped significantly and the rate of STD infection reported at hospitals dropped precipitously. A coincidence?"

Brilliant point!
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    Joking aside, Josh43 has a good point. Dare I say a brilliant point! ;)

The Sweeds decriminalized prostitution for the prostitutes but criminalizes being a John! Probably better from a social policy standpoint than focusing on the prostitutes themselves but it still criminalizes something that just plain shouldn't be illegal!

If somebody is importing girls and forcing them that pimp deserves jail and I hope he gets it! But I don't see how outlawing prostitution helps!
  • mjx01
    9 years ago
    great point by shadow... if they start asking the same ridiculous prices quoted on HBO's cathouse documentary series on the bunny ranch... it will not be that good.

• san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I've always felt that the laws against prostitution, criminalizing a private agreement, were unconstitutional. I'm surprised it has taken this long for anyone to challenge them. Right on!

http://esplerp.org/

Video:
    http://esplerp.org/litigation-for-emanci…

We would not have any strip clubs if people hadn't made similar constitutional challenges, going back to the 60's. Likewise, the local ordinances introduced in so many places, going as far back as the 80's, are just a second attempt to re-instate the same sorts of unconstitutional restrictions. These laws should be overturned as well.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Also, if you look at other places where there are no restrictions, then the women are real young, real hot looking, and right out there competing in the open. And of course that means it is more GFE and the cost is lower. So making it legal will only make it better.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    “… if they start asking the same ridiculous prices quoted on HBO's cathouse documentary series on the bunny ranch... it will not be that good …”

Hard to say how the prices would be affected – if there is heavy regulation then often times this seems to lead to higher costs that are passed down to the customer; OTOH: the Nevada prices may be whack b/c they’re kinda the only game in town (only place in U.S. w/ legal prostitution) so their exorbitant prices may be in part due to supply and demand.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    I agree with the supply and demand argument. The price will be as high as the market will bear. As long as PLs are willing to pay, the price stays high. Only competition can drive prices down.

That being said, the legislation will never pass in CA, IMHO.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    ^ The gays and the potheads got their way; maybe now it’s the PLs turn.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Just doing prostitution does not get a club busted. Mostly it depends upon how it is done. How open are they being? Are they going after the bottom of the price ladder?

So legalization would not raise the price. It would flood the market with young hotties who have no fear. So think of the most upscale clip joint you know of, like in San Francisco, where they push all the action into the booths and back rooms and so it is all 'extras' style.

Then think of the most extreme dives and how friendly the girls are in the front room, so it is real when you get to the back room.

Legalization would combine the best off all worlds. Clip joint grade hotties, but dive pricing, front room friendliness, and quality of service.

We need this legalization!

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion