tuscl

Bachelor Nation: 70% of Men Aged 20-34 Are Not Married

"(CNSNews.com) – Seventy percent of American males between the ages of 20 and 34 are not married, and many live in a state of “perpetual adolescence” with ominous consequences for the nation’s future, says Janice Shaw Crouse, author of “Marriage Matters.”

“Far too many young men have failed to make a normal progression into adult roles of responsibility and self-sufficiency, roles generally associated with marriage and fatherhood,” Crouse, the former executive director of the Beverly LaHaye Institute, wrote in a recent Washington Times oped.

The high percentage of bachelors means bleak prospects for millions of young women who dream about a wedding day that may never come. “It’s very, very depressing,” Crouse told CNSNews.com. “They’re not understanding how important it is for the culture, for society, for the strength of the nation to have strong families.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-…

Click on the link above if you want to read the full article. I thought this was a very interesting article, so that's why I posted it up.

What does this suggest?

- Guys aren't in a position (financially) to marry because of how down the economy has been in recent years?

- The desire to get married has lessened?

- People are finding it harder to get a date?

There are some wise people on the TUSCL discussion board, I'm really interested to hear what you guys think about this

53 comments

• shadowcat
    10 years ago
    A lot of them including my own son have noticed the divorce rate and it's consequences and opted to not get burned.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    Who the fuck gets married at 20 anymore besides military guys?

I'd find 25 to 34 a more interesting stat. But delayed marriage is definitely helping the divorce rate.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    If also say that college educated women are a big part of the trend. Even when I was in college 15 years ago a lot of girls wanted to meet their future husband in college. I think these days it's more about hooking up and building a career first, romance can come later.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Guys have found out about RickyBoy's The System, so screw getting married.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Fuck a lot of women.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Feminists won via the court system and marriage laws. Guys are wising up and say screw that. Guys who wait lose even more interest in marriage and chemicals in the environment are causing a drop in testerone levels making men even less interested the older they get, unless they have super human shadow cat like abilities. :)
    Well less interested in marriage. Sex is still a strong desire.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    The book Men on Strike explains exactly why this is happening. In a nutshell, society is screwing guys and we're finally figuring it out. The reason most guys used to get married was a reliable source of pussy. Now that sex is much more freely available, and guys see that they routinely get shafted by their wives and the courts, marriage no longer makes sense for many. Pretty easy to figure out.
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    FWIW when I ask dancers about their marriage plans they don't want it either. Seems like humankind is doomed to extinction. Don't bother me none.
  • tobala
    10 years ago
    Another thing is why would these young guys want to get married? Milenial girls have no wife skills. If your still have to wash dishes, mop floor, do laundry,etc.,then what good are they? Fuck the hell out of em then send em back to their nasty ass house.
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    Getting married is *NOT* worth half on my assets plus ongoing support payments.

Plus there just are not that many girls that are marriage material out there. By the time you filter out all the psychos and all the financially illiterate, etc, there just ain't that many marry-able girls out there. And the one that are are almost always married or engaged already.
  • whodey
    10 years ago
    "70% of Men Aged 20-34 Are Not Married"

My 1st question would be what % of women aged 20-34 are not married? I haven't looked at any demographic statistics but if there is a much higher % of unmarried men in that age range compared to women we may have more serious problems. If a higher % of women are married it either means their is a low ratio of women to men or the women are marrying older men.
  • Lone_Wolf
    10 years ago
    I have to concur with all the reasons already given. In fact, I'm surprised the % of not marrieds isn't closer to 90%. This is going to be a growing problem in the US and is not getting the attention it deserves.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Do you know why husbands usually pass away before their wives? Because they want to. :)
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    If women and society do not value and reward the contributions of men, then men will opt out of the social system and do their own thing. This is the premise of the men on strike book, and it's happening all around us. it's worth reading the book if you're interested in the subject.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “… the reason most guys used to get married was a reliable source of pussy …”

I think that may be a big part of it – in generations past the female would dangle the cuchie as a bargaining chip –today’s internet world has made getting cuchie, whether is P4P or not, much easier – it seems the marriage-for-cuchie is another business model that has been disrupted by the internet.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “The Economics of Sex”

This is a YouTube vid that was first posted on TUSCL by TUSCLer “sinclair". I’m not claiming it should be taken as gospel; but it makes some interesting points/observations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1ifNaN…
  • warhawks
    10 years ago

I spend WAY, WAY, WAY less on pussy now that I'm divorced.

If you factor in a house payment, food, dinners, gifts, up keep of the household, vacations, her car, her clothes, her spending...etc, etc...

Paying between $100 to $200 for pussy in a club once in a while when I want it is a downright BARGIN!

Plus... I get laid more now than when I was married! lol. And it's with someone I WANT to have sex with! It's a win win all around!!! Fuck marriage.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “… If you factor in a house payment, food, dinners, gifts, up keep of the household, vacations, her car, her clothes, her spending...etc, etcPaying between $100 to $200 for pussy in a club once in a while when I want it is a downright BARGIN …”

LOL – it seems P4P can often times be cheaper than non P4P.
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    10 years ago
    I've never been married, but I knew and worked with a lot of married men when I was serving in the Navy. Many of them would often bring up their marital finances and mention most of what warhawks just stated in his comment regarding food, gifts, cars, clothing, etc. and their figures were quite astronomical. Often times in excess of over $2,500-$3,000 on a monthly basis.

I don't see myself ever getting married. I like variety too much and I'll eventually get bored with the same old woman no matter how hot or nice of a person she is. I know it's a bit selfish but I can't help the way that I am wired.

• ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    For those not so inclined to pants-wetting panic, this could just been seen as meaning that there is a tendency for guys to wait till they are in their late 30s to marry. I've heard many women say, especially women over 25, that if a guy is right for them to be serious about, it's no problem if he's 5 - 10 years older. I think guy who sowed many acres of wild oats before getting married are less likely to have a mid-life crisis.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I'm like gewings, but I recently met this girl that has the potential to be the one that hangs up my player card and takes me out of the strip clubs for good.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    Marriage ain't good for anyone, male or female. Most of my straight female friends have no desire to tie the knot. Humans really aren't monogamous by nature. Although I consider myself fairly happily married, if I had to do it all over I wouldn't have done it.
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    10 years ago
    @ilbbaicni: I tend to agree with that statement. Now that's not to say that I'm not willing to be in a relationship. I don't mind being in relationships with a woman but I just don't want to be lock down in marriage and having to automatically share half of what I've earned. That could change with time as I get much older but as of right now I don't see it. Unless of course she's making that Oprah Winfrey money lol.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    lopaw says " Most of my straight female friends have no desire to tie the knot."

That's surprising to me.

I always thought that most women highly anticipated the day that they would get married. In other words, I thought it was something that's high on their wish list of things to do in life. Isn't getting married a woman's dream?
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    @GoVikings - getting married in today's world is hardly a dream for most women. Maybe back in the day it was, but that isn't the case anymore. It sure as hell was NEVER my dream, that's for sure.
    Many women today either don't want to get married, or want to delay it as long as possible to be able to establish themselves in careers before they decide that they want to pop out some puppies, and usually that's when they decide if they want to get married, or just live with someone, or even to go it alone as a single parent. Keep in mind that societal brainwashing has a great deal of influence on the decisions that we ultimately make, especially when we are young and impressionable. As society's views change & evolve, so does alot of the subtle and not-so-subtle affects that it has on both women & men...especially in things like marriage & having kids.
  • Diva1975
    10 years ago
    I agree with papi. Back in the day women didn't put out like they do now. Now sex is everywhere. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. Simple as that.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    In the past 15 years or so; the value of pussy as a commodity has plummeted.
  • FullPress
    10 years ago
    Sadly many of my coworkers male and female who are around 30 or a bit younger and all attractive really don't date. They would want to but the guys are looking for stripper body's and the girls don't have them. Kind of sad.
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    Apparently young people don't really "date" anymore in general. You hang out in group settings, you text, maybe you get drunk and hook up. After a few more hookups you might have a Define The Relationship conversation.

Kids are the main compelling reason to get married. A lot of women are delaying childbirth to establish their careers. Those same women are hitting a fertility wall when they suddenly try to start making babies at 35+. And a lot more people are making the rational decision that they shouldn't have kids at all.

I'm glad people largely aren't marrying someone at 18 so they can fuck them anymore, Utah aside. But I also worry when I see so many 45+ year old dudes pushing strollers. These guys should be retiring while their kids are still in college, and those kids are going to end up putting their dad in a nursing home before they are 30.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    lowpaw says "getting married in today's world is hardly a dream for most women. Maybe back in the day it was, but that isn't the case anymore. It sure as hell was NEVER my dream, that's for sure.
    Many women today either don't want to get married, or want to delay it as long as possible to be able to establish themselves in careers before they decide that they want to pop out some puppies, and usually that's when they decide if they want to get married, or just live with someone, or even to go it alone as a single parent. Keep in mind that societal brainwashing has a great deal of influence on the decisions that we ultimately make, especially when we are young and impressionable. As society's views change & evolve, so does alot of the subtle and not-so-subtle affects that it has on both women & men...especially in things like marriage & having kids."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. Good post--particularly the part about societal brainwashing. I guess like Bob Dylan said The Times Are A-Changin
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    While this certainly isn't the case for everyone, it seems like one of the things that makes *most* people the happiest in life is spending time with people they care about and having/raising children. A high level of happiness seems to be strongly associated with significant others and children.

Obviously many people have kids out of wedlock, but this many guys being unmarried seems to suggest that nowadays a lot more people AREN'T having children.

What does that say about the level of happiness?

• Dougster
    10 years ago
    Actually I just an article that having children does not, by objective measure, increase happiness. It's more a cognitive dissonance phenomena. People behave in one way - have children due to social expectations and then thoughts and feelings change to match behavior.

With the advances in AI and robotics it's hardly going to be necessary to have children for much longer if you are thinking to keep humanity going. On the plus side, I think scientific advances mean there is a good chance they get to live forever. Their might be sine anxiety when we learn that, no, the human intellect is not the ultimate goal of evolution, but shortly after mergering into robotic form should be possible.
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    "Actually I just an article that having children does not, by objective measure, increase happiness."
    -----------------------
    Dougster spends half his existence complaining that others follow the media blindly -- then cites some unknown "article" to support his claim.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Logic never was Josh's strong suit. How many logic flaws can you find in his comment above? I'll start you off with one? Is the only place one can read articles "the media"? Not exactly the smartest guy ever, are you, Josh?
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    Perhaps the article was written by your therapist??
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    I agree that having kids by no means increases happiness for a lot of people. They go in thinking it will because its what's expected of them and every other miserable parent tells them how fulfilling it is. What a joke. If I had a buck for every buddy of mine that confided in me that they HATE being a parent I'd have enough money for a night of VIP's. Its expected from us so we blindly do it.

"Logic never was Josh's strong suit."
    Lol that's an understatement based on most of the posts from him(?) that I've seen.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Yeah, but he knows the Democratic Party Line inside and out!
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    " If I had a buck for every buddy of mine that confided in me that they HATE being a parent I'd have enough money for a night of VIP's."
    ----------------------
    Sounds like Dougster's dad is one of your buddies.

Seriously ,Dougster, don't let some stupid article persuade you that kids don't bring happiness. Keep an open mind.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    sclvr5005 says " If I had a buck for every buddy of mine that confided in me that they HATE being a parent I'd have enough money for a night of VIP's."

O_O

Who knows, perhaps you and Dougster right.

I don't know what to think anymore

• GACA
    10 years ago
    Marriage hasn't evolved to meet the modern needs. Who knows maybe that's why polyamory is picking up steam lately.
  • skibum609
    10 years ago
    The divorce rate hasn't changed in 50 years, but men have. Simply put: Young men today have nothing to offer women. They aren't well educated; they don't work hard; they have no manners; they live at home and they seem a bit effeminate. One fact that has never changed is that married men not only live longer, but they are wealthier too, than unmarried men. Once women were able to support themselves all but the highest earning men became superfluous.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    So I'm a dead-beat, skibum? Lol. I fall into this age range.

My problem with your post is that you're putting ALL the blame on the men. I also think you're generalizing too much. Sure, some men nowadays might be that way, but you're making it seem like its widespread.

Plus I think you're forgetting that women are MUCH more selective than men in their mate choice. That's what female hypergamy is about...strict selection.
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    ^^^especially true in major cities like LA,NY,and Chicago. Where women are holding out for the biggest fish they often end up with nothing.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Such remarkable hostility to marriage! I'm married 34 years without a single regret. I've got two daughters and 3 grandchildren who are a constant source of joy. There has only been one woman in all those years who could have tempted me to stray (Unfortunately, she's my ATF - thank God she never has!). It does work when you make the right choice.
  • pensionking
    10 years ago
    Marriage is an economic contract. True love lasting a lifetime is as rare as the buffalo nickel in circulation today. You almost never hear about unemployed wives divorcing their husbands. It is not uncommon for economically independent wives to divorce their husbands, tho. I agree with the viewpoint that men are figuring out that the cost of marriage is not worth it.

I have often felt women use sex to get love, marriage and security. Men promise love (followed by marriage and the illusion of security) to get sex. (Paradise by the Dashboard Light). As long as women are economically dependent on men and men are receiving the sexual attention they desire from their wives, the balance of power is not disrupted and marital harmony can exist. When that balance is disturbed, then disharmony and, ultimately, divorce result. Talk to anybody married a long time -- I will bet you they would admit that his needs for affection (sex) are being met and her needs for security ($$$$$) are being met.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    dawg, how could a dancer be your ATF and not have caused you to stray from your marriage? Doesn't ATF status necessarily mean that she has done things with you of which your wife would strongly disapprove? Or are you saying that your wife is ok with what you do and wouldn't consider your relationship with the ATF to be straying from your marriage vows?
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    Marriage is a business arrangement for the purpose of having and raising kids. period.

60 yrs ago, more women held out for a guy with a good job (probably educated & hard working) who would have the resources to support a family.

Now a days, there's a lot of women who can financially support themselves and their kid(s). A lot of them are then willing to procreate with guys that make their pussies wet regardless of whether or not they are a good financial resource. And the gold digger who are holding out for a well off guy probably aren't one you want to swap DNA with.

Now a days, more women will not look past a guy being short, or bald, or introverted, for an upper-middle class life.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Of course your sister and I are keeping an open mind about having kids, Josh. We are, however, a little concerned about the impact an Uncle Josh could have on a kid. Well at least the kid would know what the Democratic Party has to say inside and out.
  • Lone_Wolf
    10 years ago
    @pensionking- "I have often felt women use sex to get love, marriage and security. Men promise love (followed by marriage and the illusion of security) to get sex."

Well stated. And therein lies the risk. Women losing that security because men are wising up to the fact marriage is a losing proposition for them. The probable results will be an ever growing number of women on the government dole.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    JS, No shit. I am totally struggling with this and no, I'm pretty damn sure my wife wouldn't like it and would probably be hurt by it.

My ATF and I are connected by a lot of similar life experiences. It's a bit less than love but a lot more than lust. Thankfully, it hasn't professed to full-blown (no pun intended) sex acts.

And yes, it's making me reconsider my strip club habit.
  • Diva1975
    10 years ago
    Interesting thread
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    dawg, based on my experience, you'll keep coming back to strip clubs and strippers unless/until your wife is willing to fulfill your sexual needs. You can reconsider, and stop seeing the ATF, but you'll be back in a year or less if the presumed cause (your wife's sexual hang ups or limits) doesn't change. But how you get her to meet those needs I have no idea. Sometimes I think I'll just tell my wife about the DS, and say I'll stop if she'll start giving me what the DS does. But I don't because that would be more unpleasant than spending my vacation listening to finance lectures given by Dougster.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    @lopaw yeah I know that schizo feeling. I was married for over 15 years. When I lost my wife, it was much harder than it would have been to lose both legs. Yet, there's still a part of me that regrets missing all the wild shit I could have done if I had stayed single.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion