tuscl

OT: Did you see that finish coming in the Super Bowl?

Corvus
Arizona
Sunday, February 1, 2015 7:23 PM
Crazy play calling by Seattle.

34 comments

• jester214
    9 years ago
    Crazy or terrible? I'm going with the latter.
  • sflguy123
    9 years ago
    Will be one of the most second guessed plays ever.
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    Hindsight is 20/20. Carroll saw what the Pats were stacking the line with and was likely concerned about being stuffed for negative yards. The Pats already had one successful goaI-line stand earlier in the game, which I'm sure factored into his decision. If it had worked,Carroll would have been called a genius.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Just a terrible call. No way to candy coat it. Give it Lynch to ram it in or let Wilson roll out to either run it or pass it. Anything but that.
  • snowtime
    9 years ago
    Absolutely terrible call. Coaches will use this as an example of "what not to do" for years to come. I wanted the Pats to win, but Seattle deserved this game. If Seattle had run Lynch for 3 tries and not won, then I would say they deserved to lose. Crazy finish. I would not be able to sleep tonight if I had bet on Seattle.
  • sflguy123
    9 years ago
    Throwing the ball instead of running it adds so many elements that can go wrong. Tipped pass, receiver falls down etc. Carroll should have watched the greatest play in Super Bowl history last night: [view link]
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I disagree Rick. That would have still been a controversial call even if it had worked.
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    A slant is not an uncommon goal line call, especially if you are facing a tough defensive line.
  • Duke69
    9 years ago
    Yea i lost $6,000 on that fuccN call
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    And it would have worked if Butler didn't make such a heads up play. If Butler didn't step up an intercept the ball, the receiver would have caught it on the line. If anything, the only real problem was that Wilson should have hit the receiver a few seconds earlier and let him fall into the end zone rather than trying to hit the receiver on the line.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Congrats to the Patriots, they won the game fair and square. The surprise to me was Brady's effectiveness on Seattle's defense.
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    The play made me think of the quote, I think from Darryl Royal, former coach of U. of Texas: "When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad."
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    The call to pass was beyond idiotic as is RickyBoy trying to defend it here. Good thing I didn't have much emotionally at stake in it this year's game compared to last. Was even multi-tasking between the game and taxes this year: Still bewildered by the call. But, hey, maybe it's all part of a deeper System I can't understand compared to the obvious let Lynch have one or two or three tries at it. Seemed Seattle was overconfident even before the snap letting the clock run down even.., What a blunder.
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    Ranukam, agreed on all counts. At the end of the day, one team scored 4 touchdowns and the other did not. Simple. There were a lot of things that could have been criticized on both sides, like the non-calls on Seattle for some pretty blatant pushing off and holding, though the Pats were getting away with some stuff too. I was also less than thrilled that a Seattle receiver scored a TD by using a ref to pick off Revis - it wasn't illegal, but fucking crappy nonetheless. Net-net, it was a fucking battle, with the refs letting the players play, and one team prevailed when the dust settled.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Pats played the better game overall and deserved to win it. Just crazy Seattle threw away all their luck and work on the last drive with the one bad call. Ah well...
  • GoVikings
    9 years ago
    Very well said, Dougster
  • rattdog
    9 years ago
    well at least this bowl was way better than last year's.
  • LeeH
    9 years ago
    Why, raftdog? Did your mother die during last year's game? I'm sorry for your loss.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Did you have to sell your van Dukey?
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I would have liked to see them try to run it in just a little bit or pass to the side and run it in, not a pass straight to the line. Oh well.
  • sshrfrsky
    9 years ago
    The hawks had a 10 point lead in the 4th right. The best D in the league no question with a 2 possession lead in the 4th ? And how about that catch with the receiver on his ass to get them in the redzone? I mean come on, that kind of play especially with the pats history in the Superbowl and improbable catches against them would spell the end for a lesser team. That play call shouldn't overshadow this win.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    But was the ball deflated?
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Great game great win. Despite being outplayed 3 out of 4 quarters Seattle had the upper hand at the end. Wilson will lose sleep over that pick for a while, but he's young he'll have more chances. I didn't think throwing that much would be the way to win, but thats why i'm not the coach. Sherman is a dick i enjoyed his crying, the 12th man is the gayest thing ever but i give seattle credit for turning it around they were just as shitty as the patriots were until they got a good owner. Go Patriots!!!
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Only one description for a call like that when you have one of the premiere running backs and THE best running QB who also has a great arm - BONEHEAD!
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Here in Chicago we see Jay Cutler do that once a game.
  • rickdugan
    9 years ago
    The Seahawks didn't lose because of one bad call. They lost because they let the Pats come back from a 10 point deficit in the fourth quarter and then get ahead with a couple of minutes to spare. We can second guess the call all we want, but I'm sure that the Pats earlier successful goal line stand and the fact that they only had 48 seconds left on the clock all had something to do with it. When you are backed into a corner with only seconds left to get it done, bad things can happen.
  • DoctorDarby
    9 years ago
    And the Packers say "see, that's EXACTLY how dumb shit happens that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory!"
  • warhawks
    9 years ago
    Bad call. I understand trying to be aggressive. But in that instance you really need to do the thing that gives you a chance to continue. Running or a bubble screen seems much more logical in that situation. That slant over the middle was just asking for trouble.
  • sflguy123
    9 years ago
    OT "When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." Generally speaking this is dead wrong. 1) Completed pass 2) Pass Interference(PI) and automatic first down 3) INT 4) Incomplete Pass So 4 things can happen and 50/50. On 3rd and long I believe more times than not you should throw it long b/c 3 good to ok things can happen: Pass completed, PI, or INT which is similar to a punt.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    sfl, When Darryl Royal said that, years ago, Dbacks could play defense and your #2 was not nearly as prevalent.
  • bkkruined
    9 years ago
    The Seahawks took too long to figure out Patriots defense. Had they start making some yards in the 1st quarter instead of 3 and out and every drive, they could have kept the Pat's to a lower score. But, Pat's were doing a good job in coverage, and it took the Hawks too long to figure out they only had 2 corners, and they could put more than 2 recievers on the field. Without a passing game Lynch wasn't breaking loose. And without him breaking loose, they were off the field too fast almost every drive in the whole 1/2 half. If they had just kept those drives alive long enough to keep Brady from getting out there, that last foobar wouldn't have mattered.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    So what if the pats stacked the line? Ever see a running back hurdle the line? A fucking end sweep? Bone head call. And the Seahawk reciever was weak on that play.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    WORST CALL EVER!!! if Carroll had a hard-on to throw the ball, at least run play action to Lynch to freeze the defensive backs. His remarks after the game were even more stupid than the call (we were trying to waste a play because we didn't like the defensive matchups) Whaaat?? Really?? Guess he makes too much money to say "I'm an idiot for overthinking the obviously correct play call on 2nd, 3rd AND 4th down, if needed." Run the fucking ball, genius!!
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    "Here in Chicago we see Jay Cutler do that once a game." Frequently it happens more than just once during a game with Cutler. Well if you are a Seattle fan, here's one thing to chew on, wonder if a lot of those free agents will stick around for redemption or will they go get paid?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion