tuscl

[OT]: Favorite Cut of Steak

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Steak and potatoes. Man's food. None of that girly Parmesan crusted tilapia around here.

But what's your favorite cut of steak to order? Rib-eye (entrecôte) has become the fashionable choice. Foodies claim the high fat content means extra flavor. Food snob Anthony Bourdain calls people "stupid" if they think rib eye is too fatty. So call me stupid. I just attended a company dinner where the menu was planned. Rub eye was served. (I never order it). This was a high end place and the meat was too fatty and chewy for me.

Give me a good filet any time.

20 comments

• farmerart
    10 years ago
    No argument with the premise of your discussion topic, motorhead. Steak and potatoes rule in the farmerart kitchen or on the farmerart grill.

Where it gets very tricky is choosing a particular steak. What breed of animal? What has the animal been fed? How long has the carcass been aged? Dry aged or wet aged? What cut of steak? How thick a cut? On the bone? Off the bone? Method of cooking? Degree of 'doneness' of the final product?

Your preference is the tenderloin....filet mignon on most steakhouse menus.

I am a rib eye guy. On the bone. Thick cut. Done rare. Seasoned with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Seared for 2 min on either side in a smokin' hot cast iron frying pan in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Finished for 5-6 min in a hot oven. Tented with aluminun foil for 5 min before eating.

The meat will have come from a Hereford or Wagyu, pasture-raised and finished on high protein wheat/barley mix. The carcass will have been dry aged before the loins are cut into steaks. The meat will have never been frozen.

Potatoes will come from the farmerart garden.......Yukon Gold or Russian Fingerlings, or Banana.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    ^^^^^^
    Oops!......The carcass will have been dry aged for 6 week minimum.......
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    I have developed a liking for flank steak done on the grill, just a little past medium rare and sliced thinly across the grain. This meat has a lot of fat and connective tissue but slicing it this way makes it effectively tender. One of the most inexpensive, flavorful cuts of beef there is.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Filet is all I'll order. I don't like a bunch of fat hangin' around my beef.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Prime rib medium rare. But I only get it in a restaurant. I can't cook it decently at home. For home-cooked meals, I make things that can be cooked slowly like pot roast or beef stew.

• georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Fillet, prime rib and cowboy ribeye are my preferred steak. I sure as hell won't tuen down a regular ribeye, though.

A good russet or Idaho baked potato, skin salted and wrapped in tin foil before baking. I'll often forgo most of the potato itself and just eat the skin soaked in butter, though. Alternatively, slice the spud thinly, wrap it, along with some butter, bacon, sliced onion and minced garlic, in tin foil and roast it on the grill.
  • grand1511
    10 years ago
    Um, dug, New York strip!
  • grand1511
    10 years ago
    Oops, that should say duh
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    At home a rib eye done on a real charcoal grill. I can do prime rib but I rarely have enough people over for dinner to buy a large piece of meat. So I mostly save that for restaurants. Flank steak is a must if I am making carne asada at home or ordering it at a Mexican restaurant.
  • bubba267
    10 years ago
    In order, all USDA prime grade- bone in ribeye, NY strip, regular ribeye, porterhouse, filet. All cooked medium, over charcoal. Prefer dry aged at least 1-1.5" thick. (IMO, most folks who don't like ribeye steaks, haven't had a good one. It is a cut that can get "trashy" and the steak should be hand picked, looking for small flecks of marbling not globs and streaks of fat)

Thanks to RuthChris, steakhouse, I've developed a strong dislike of broiled steak w/butter. Too many off flavored steaks.

• lotsoffun201
    10 years ago
    New York Strip charred rare 1.5"-2.0" thick. Living in Vegas means great steaks are available at almost anytime of the day. I agree with an earlier poster about Flank Steaks if done correctly, and also enjoy a good ribeye from time to time.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Prime rib, medium rare. Baked potato with sour cream, butter, bacon, pepper, and cheese
  • warhawks
    10 years ago

Prime rib. Medium rare. Baked potato, loaded with everything.

If not prime rib, then porterhouse or rib eye. Either way, medium rare. Delicious!
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    When I was a carnivore I liked ribeye, medium rare.
  • georgebailey
    10 years ago
    I'm a carnivore. And quality is everything. My personal preference is the tomahawk ribeye, dry-aged, grilled medium-rare on charcoal. Also love seafood. Especially fresh oysters. Hard to get and good hard.
  • skibum609
    10 years ago
    Flilets are too flavorless. Black Angus NY sirloin. My wife's twice baked potatoes and a 4 some with 3 bi women after.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon and in a nice sauce.
  • pensionking
    10 years ago
    Prime rib medium rare. Game over.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Thick cut bone-in ribeye, medium rare, on a damned hot charcoal grill.

We cooked a medium rare prime rib roast for Xmas and that was pretty damned good too, but normally I only eat prime rib in restaurants since it is too big a roast for everyday cooking at home.

A good NY strip is a decent cut for everyday grilling, but it really doesn't have the natural flavor of a rib-eye. Also, the fat is really too tough to eat, so it has to be cooked pretty well trimmed.

I have tried flank steak a couple of times, but have never really taken to it.

I also do have a guilty love of a good chuck pot roast, but I don't get it too often as my kids don't like it so much.

Where I come from, filet mignon is a steak for girls. ;)

• minnow
    10 years ago
    All of the above, though I have a soft spot for thick cuts. Porterhouse, or London Broil in particular, at least medium rare. (I don't want to hear the cow moo, had some bad experiences with undercooked steaks.) Prefer charbroiled.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion