tuscl

The Essex gentlemans club in Phoenix

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
I'm intrigued by the name of this club and how it got it's name, if anybody knows?

Over here Essex is the name of county (equivalent to your 'state'). And is well known for certain personality types throughout the U.K.

Essex is not a name I'd expect to see over there.

23 comments

• georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    You're giving Americans way to much credit. I doubt the persons who named tat club have any inkling of it's connotations, much less that there even *is* such a place in England. "That's in Europe, right?"

No, I suspect either somebody spelled "Essence" wrong, or saw it somewhere and said, "That's got 'sex' in it, let's name out club that."
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    It's named after a WWII aircraft carrier ...

;-D
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    My guess is there is a neon sign out front and the first e and s are burned out
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    Yes, gmd, I do believe we are still in Europe .
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    lg, that was intended to be a joke, aimed at uneducated Americans. Many of the Brits I know take umbrage to being referred to as part of Europe. :)

Is that not the case in Britain itself?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Hey, I take umbrage at the fact that a state is named New Mexico.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    My Mom always made fun of people from New Mexico. New Mexicans, they ain't shit.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Blue Sky ^^
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    Essex is also a common place name in the U.S. There are towns and communities named Essex in: CA, CT, VT, and MD. Maybe in other states too. That's all I found in a quick search. There is also an Essexville is in MI. (I think Essex short for "essential sex.")
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    sorry gmd, forgot to put a little :-) at the end to tell you I knew you were joking :-)

It's very true that a lot of Brits see themselves as such and NOT as Europeans as such. Me included. It pisses me off that I own a European passport and not a British one. What the fuck did we fight for in WW2 exactly. They can go and eat shit in Brussels. Wankers.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    @slick -- bit yo' tongue! New Mexico really is the land of enchantment. Probably my favorite place in the world!
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    ^^^
    Alas, the last time I was there was 2003. I have to plan a trip...
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    10 years ago
    Speaking of Brussels, how is it that Brussels sprouts and Belgian waffles can come from the same country?
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Hey London, is bacon the food of the gods over there like it is here?
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    CG, apart from chocolate I can't think of anything I like about Belgium and they don't really have a language of their own, depending on where you are it's either French or Dutch.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @LG-Sounds like y'all Brits are still bitter bout that William The Conqueror and all...#oldassbullshit!
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes is one of my favorites.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    If y'all are smart, please tell me why bagpipes are played at a fallen officers funeral. Hint-It has nothing to do with Irish cops on the East Coast. #onions
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I don't know, but I know why Texans wanted freedom from Mexico. #thewayofthesouth
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Yup Mikey, #slavery!
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    "Hint-It has nothing to do with Irish cops on the East Coast"

I'm waiting on the answer. I thought it was because most police and firemen were Irish. They came to America in the 1800's after the potatoe famine and took the low wage police and fire jobs.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    "The Onion Field" by Joseph Wambaugh. Great book about two LA cops, one of which gets killed in an onion field. The officer who died played the bag pipes and during his funeral, they played bag pipes for him.

If I'm wrong and bag pipes were played before this event, I was misinformed. I was taught by a teacher who recommend this book that the reason why bag pipes are played during an officers funeral was linked to The Onion Field.

Right or wrong, the book is a great read.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Slick,

I remember my dad reading the book when I was in high school. He liked cop books and can remember it lying around the house.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion