tuscl

A new word to the lexicon ... the "phablet"

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Was reading an article on CNBC about Blackberry's newest smartphone and it being described as a "phablet" (phone+tablet).

With the race to have larger and larger screens on smartphones; it seems some of them will start looking like tablets.

The article if you are kinda a tech-head:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101834433

6 comments

• joker44
    10 years ago
    Thanks papi.
    Phablet-no so new. I first heard it when smartphones with 5+ inch screens were near release about a year ago.

Since I have a 7" tablet, large screen phones don't interest me. For me the phone screen 'sweet spot' is 4.7 - 5 inch. Easy to carry, use, and pocket. Larger phones are to big to handle; might as well use my tablet which has better screen resolution and is faster.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    My primary phone is an app on my iPad II, and so my phone has looked like a tablet for years.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    The phablet term has been around/fairly popular since at least the Original Samsung Galaxy Note. I can't say I'm a fan of bigger than about 5" screens, but a fair amount of people I encounter are. Its kinda interesting to me where exactly the line is drawn, with the normal phones around 5" - the big phones in the 6" neighborhood (One Max, Galaxy Mega) and then the Note / Mate line over 6" I have no interest in the "smart" watches either, but the two seem to go together. A little watch + a big ass phone in a purse/briefcase might make a compelling combo for some.
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    I had lunch recently with a friend who had his new Galaxy wrapped in an Otter Box. I asked him if he liked his new laptop. He laughed and then started complaining how the damn thing doesn't fit in his pocket and sucks down battery life like crazy.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Maybe someone will start making fold out phones sooner or later. I've seen something like film and I've seen something like two smart phone screens with a hinge. What they need that might work is a combo fold out with something resembling film but attached at the end to something firmer so that you can slide it out to enlarge the screen. I'd love to have a combo phone/ tablet that I could fold up and carry in my pocket.
  • gatorfan
    10 years ago
    Just walk around with your flatscreen
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion