tuscl

What could I expect as club manager?

she_is_covfefe
Despite the constant negative press covfefe.
Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:12 PM
I applied for a job as a club manager (a BYOB club in Austin, not revealing location unless I get the gig). I had heard good and bad things about being a club manager. What could I expect as a manager? What things you guys (junkies, hobbyists, casual customers, etc.) expect in a manager? I have education and work experience in other areas too, just saying (before anybody start asking).

29 comments

• lopaw
    10 years ago
    First off you'd have to drop your IQ by at least 100 points.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    "I have education and work experience in other areas too, just saying (before anybody start asking). " Then why would you want that job?
  • she_is_covfefe
    10 years ago
    Ime, I had become tired of "office politics" and "good ol' boy" BS that dominates my "actual" field (IT). It's not a dancing job, but a management job.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Expect to hear a lot of bitchin.
  • she_is_covfefe
    10 years ago
    ^From customers or dancers? I had to cover for the shift manager in the past (when I was bartending): strippers bitching about shit is nothing like junior sailors bitching about work. I haven't had too many customers bitching: neither as dancer, bartender, or doorgirl.
  • kingcripple
    10 years ago
    You are at one of three BYOB clubs in Austin. I can tell you if it is Babes, then you outta just run.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    The only way to know what a job is like is to do it. Try it and find out.
  • MrDeuce
    10 years ago
    Avoid Babes like the plague. Managing XTC could be a cool gig. Don't know the 3rd BYOB club in Austin.
  • rattdog
    10 years ago
    I don't know exactly what you should expect as club manager but here is what I expect from club managers: -if I buy my obligatory drink and sometimes buy food from the menu leave me the fuck alone. if you want to say high or shoot the shit a bit that's cool but if you're going to bust my balls fuck off. -if I am a steady regular and you are in your office and you see me doing something to one of my favorite girls in the lapdance room that isn't permitted on your camera leave me and her the fuck alone-that interaction was private. fortunately at all of the places I go to I don't have that problem. but should that problem arise I would just exit and find another club elsewhere.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Prefer being a strip club manager over working on IT? I bet that is unusual!
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    If you get it, next time in Austin, I'll stop in and say "Hi." My guess "Chicas Bonitas"?
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    The biggest complaint I have is management being inconsistent and unprofessional. The security staff needs to be kept on a short leash and they must nip problems in the bud (be in prevent mode not react mode)many times a word or two will defuse/calm down a patron that is becoming unruly. Make sure dancers do not rip guys off, keep the wait staff attentive but not annoying, and make the dancers circulate. Try to make the custodial staff do their job. If you are going to have a blind eye to the private room sessions make sure everyone is discreet and doesn't leave trash behind. If you manage anything anywhere you always have to be prepared to be the bad guy. I would recommend that you not socialize with any of your employees. Friends (especially if they are many levels below your management position and under your direct authority) many times expect special treatment.
  • she_is_covfefe
    10 years ago
    I didn't apply for Babe's...so I guess is a good thing. Second, someone mentioned "Chicas Bonitas"...and that venue is topless with alcohol. As for everyone who offered legit advice, thank you. I shall keep those things in mind.
  • Corvus
    10 years ago
    I don't have much to add but will say if it is an all-nude club encourage the dancers to end their stage shows nude. To me it is frustrating to go to an all-nude club and see nothing more than I would at any topless club. They don't have to be nasty on stage, just naked. And make sure the lighting highlights the stage. Everything else can be dark and discrete but if customers cannot see the girl on stage why are they coming into the club. Of course we all know why TUSCLs are coming in, but that's another story. And you may gleen some really good suggestions by reading the blog Strip Club Hound. Sorry I can't insert a link to it, but he has written some good advice from a managers perspective. Good luck Jay Jay. Oh, and who can forget about the loud, obnoxious DJs who play the music way too loud. Well, I guess I did have multiple suggestions.
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    I have yet to encounter a club manager that had a clue as to what they are doing. Good luck and I hope you do better than the vast majority are seemingly capable of.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    JJ, So you're saying Austin clubs that serve liquor are only topless? I could swear the first timet I was at the Rose they did both.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Somebody is always asking if you ever got dances from a waitress, bar tender or shot girl. Now I suppose we will have add manager to that list. :)
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Expect to buy sanitizer, lots of sanitizer.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    It's like being an astronaut. 8 hours of boredom followed by 5 minutes of drama
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    What would I expect in a manager? Not much. They usually don't do shit as far as I can tell. Occasionally you see a girl walk into the manager's office and shut the door. Presumably to give him a BJ or whatever so he doesn't make her pay her daily fees or whatever. What I would LIKE for managers to do is fairly simple: Make the girls WORK for a living. As soon as they arrive at work, take their cellphones so they can't spend the entire shift off in a corner texting. And give them a reasonable limit of how much time they can spend in the dressing room. I know of no other occupation where girls can get away with that kind of BS. A manager should, y'know, MANAGE his employees. If you can do only that, you'll be so far ahead of just about every manager out there that you'll enter the strip club manager hall of fame.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    @mo-head -- is it like being an astronaut in other ways? For example, do you get to wear a spacesuit?
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I wish dancers looked as good as Sandra Bullock in 'Gravity'. When she stripped off her spacesuit she was sexy as hell in her underwear. Her tits were Huge.
  • mroo
    10 years ago
    Do you have much experience in promotions or running a restaurant or bar? How are you at handling late, irregular hours? Most of your job is going to involve a lot of mundane things, like ordering office supplies, balancing books, and getting toilets fixed. More than anything, you're going to need a lot of patience with the talent.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    motor, Had to check it out: [view link]
  • kingcripple
    10 years ago
    Clubber, to my knowledge the Rose has never been nude. Some girls will flash vag in dances though.
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    A manager should be able to handle Stripper Shit as well. When thievery happens, the manager should not go on a rampage tearing the poor girl's guts out. Do not be the insane dude who will do just that. Just take back room and fuck her brains out.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    king, Could have been the fact I was likely so drunk I just plain forgot. But I do know that when the Asian was sitting on my lap, I could see all.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    Grief, grief, and more grief; expect nothing but grief as a manager of a SC.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Well – I would guess there are 2 sides to the coin. Most of us PLs can give our 2-cents from a custy’s POV – but I would think often times the biggest headache for managers in any job is dealing with the staff – add to this that you will be dealing w/ females competing over custies and $$$ - and I would think this would be the source of most of the drama – and IME; in many work environments opposite sexes tend to get along a bit better – men tend to butt heads w/ men more often and women with women can be some serious drama. IME; upscale and corporate clubs seem to be the best managed – see what they do and how they do it – other than that being able to ask other SC managers would be the best place to get some solid feedback/info – good luck and let us know how it goes (perhaps you can write a TUSCL article about it in the future :))
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion