tuscl

OT: Godzilla

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:19 AM
I'm not necessarily a fan of sci-fi action flicks. I find single scene teleplays such as "12 Angry Men" more compelling. But I have to say, the trailers for "Godzilla" look very interesting.

27 comments

• how
    10 years ago
    There are not very many "single-scene teleplays like '12 Angry Men.'" If that's your only cinematic cup of tea, you'd do well to avoid the multiplex these days... I agree that Godzilla looks interesting. But the most recent trailer I saw shows Brian "Breaking Bad" Cranston on the verge of tears in almost every scene previewed. Man up, Walter White! Make that giant lizard your b!+c#. /Jessie Pinkman voice
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @How-I think he's more of a Hal Wilkerson than a Walter White.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Eeees Godzirra, lun fol youl rives.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    motor, you would probably like "Doubt" with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep I don't know about a remake of "Godzilla." The classic creature features are the best.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I don't know, Jack. The Smog Monster? Mothra? Son of Godzilla? I'd put Cloverfield over any of them, any day.
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Just hope it is better than the last one. Looks like it.
  • how
    10 years ago
    Cloverfield did not work. But a modern telling of "Gojira" can be good. The original had charm, but was man-in-suit, and severely limited in suspension-of-disbelief. Previews suggest ... SPOILER ALERT........ ..... ..... ..... nuclear weapons tests were the genesis of the monster, so nukes won't take him out. I wonder what they'll try? High power lasers? Germs/virus?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I beg to differ. Cloverfield was awesome. Of course, we can obviously have different tastes. I was disappointed in Pacific Rim.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    The 1954 Godzilla was quite good...but the monster movies were done best by Ray Harryhausen...The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans..etc. If this new Godzilla is half as good as Jackson's Kong remake(original, is still awesome), it will be a winner.
  • dallas702
    10 years ago
    I gotta' agree with Jackslash, here. Some of the classics were fantastic. I can still remember sitting in the middle of the first row on a Saturday afternoon with popcorn and a "big" coke, my head tilted back to see all of the enormous screen as Reptilicus ripped a city apart while tank rounds bounced off. Best $0.50 I ever spent!
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    I must be the only person in the world who liked the Matthew Broderick remake. Everyone seems to trash it!
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @rockstar: Nope, you're not the only one.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^ it was ok, but it seemed like a giant iguana movie instead of Godzilla
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Yeah, well, I don't see anything wrong with giant iguana movies. There should be more of them. Especially if they all go after NYC.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    My problem with Cloverfield - I found the (human) characters singularly unappealing - by the end of the movie I was rooting for the monster to finish them off just to stop their constant bitching & bickering, lol
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Hey How, according to one trailer, those were not nuclear tests that caused Godzilla, we were trying to kill it!
  • carl95
    10 years ago
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound He pulls the spitting high tension wires down Helpless people on a subway train Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them He picks up a bus and he throws it back down As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town Oh no, they say he's got to go go go Godzilla Oh no, there goes Tokyo go go Godzilla History shows again and again How nature points up the folly of men
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    For this version, they have a method actor in the Godzilla suit. They shipped him 90 lbs. of the remains of a demolished Tokyo building, so he could eat a pound a day for three months prior to filming.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    dallas702: "Best $0.50 I ever spent!" I know what you mean. I would go to the Saturday matinee, and when they had a double feature of a cowboy movie and a monster movie, I was in kid heaven.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    If Godzilla is a success then I smell a sequel-Godzilla 2:Godzilla vs. King Kong.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    @carl: Yeah my college band played that song! The Bouchard brother's sister was going to the law school at the time too.
  • sflguy123
    10 years ago
    Godzilla Spoiler Alert . . . . Movie ends with Super Robot taking his candy ass down. [view link]
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Jonny Soko rocked as did Ultraman! (Isis was a babe too!)
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I haven't seen the new movie. Looks like it might be good.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    There's some old Cadillac model that, at 70 on the highway, makes the same whistling sound as Ultraman when he's flying.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I finally watched it today. Not very good. The first 45 minutes telling the backstory was good - then it got dumb. I thought the opening scene was a subtle nod to Jurassic Park.
  • chessmaster
    10 years ago
    i thought it was great. much better than the last godzilla.(98 or whenever it was).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion