tuscl

Chili, take 2

ATACdawg
Thank God Trump is FIRED!!! Lock him up!
I have just finished making chili for our church youth groups cook-off tomorrow.

For the first time, I used about 3/4 lb of chorizo in addition to 80/20 ground chuck. SlickSpic, thank-you for that tip - this is easily the best chili I have ever made!

28 comments

• mikeya02
    11 years ago
    This site is great. I was wondering...what meat is used for carne asada? What's a good recipe?
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Carne Masada is just marinated, thinly sliced flank steak. Food.com should have some good recipes, or just Google carne Masada.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Damn I hate autocorrect, Masada = Asada.

I suspect that Carne Asada could be made kosher, though!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Carne Mesada was what the Romans did to the Jews.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I understand that the Israeli Defense Force still conducts its basic training graduation ceremonies there. The sense of history and commitment would be very moving.

As I understand it, the only way the Romans were able to get to the Masada fortress was to build a road right to the top! The defenders all killed themselves rather than submit to capture.
  • steve229
    11 years ago
    Chili today, hot tamale?
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    Chili is best when it is hot going in and hotter going out.
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Ok, a gay man's lover died, and his lovers last request was to have his ashes mixed into a bowel of hot chili.

A friend asked "why?"

He replied, "so he can burn my ass one last time"
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    @gatorfan - that's what I think too. I have had to dumb the recipe down a bit to provide a bit wider appeal but I think I've achieved a pretty good balance of flavor and heat. My wife still won't eat it.

@Mickey - ROFL

@Steve - We have got to get together some time since we're both in the DC/Alexandria metro area.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Chili deserves ONLY venison!
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Maybe so clubber. Unfortunately all I could find in the forest to shoot and kill was a package of chorizo and a two pound pack of chuck. Hunting isn't so good in the DC area.
  • steve229
    11 years ago
    @ATACdawg - you need to check out the office park where I work. The deer population in Fairfax county is running wild
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I understand! I live near Old Town where there isn't a lot of green space and the discharge of firearms is a hanging offense.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Acccccck! The ignominy of it all! We had our chili cookoff today. Did I win? No. Who won? My wife with her wuss chili. To top it off, she wasn't there when the results were announced and I had to accept for her. In fairness, I knew that a spicy pot had little to no chance with the judges. Everyone who appreciated heat came back for mine.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I'd've voted your chilli número uno.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    ATAC,

I know know if you can get it where you are, but venison can be bought in some stores down this way, However, it ain't cheap!

This last week when I was upstate, a pickup was disabled by a deer crossing the highway. I didn't see anything, but talked to the fellow I knew that came upon the scene. The deer wasn't dead, and they weren't sure if they could legally put it out of it's misery. He left before the final outcome, but I bet some one had some venison stew that evening. :)
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    Bagged one myself on the New York State Thruway about 20 miles east of Buffalo with my 1971 Camaro in 1973. Not an experience I'd care to repeat!

It was a deer departed!
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    ATAC,

There is a video on Youtube where a guy on a crotch rocket hit and cut a deer in half. He (the rider) didn't even go down, but it sure messed up the bike.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I am curious, clubber, how do you deal with the extremely low fat content? Do you start with bacon or sausage?

By the way, the young man next to me who had made a venison chili voted for mine for the people's choice award.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    ATAC,

Add some pork, but I have no idea how much or anything else about it. At least that is what the SO told me. I can't even boil water. :)
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I've had sausage made with venison and it was mixed with pork but I couldn't tell you the percentages. Y'all can have your venison roasts and Bambi burgers. I'll stick to beef.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Sheesh!.......you guys want venison? An occasional deer is able to jump the buffalo fence around my yard and has a very short life expectancy when inside my compound. I don't care for the taste of wild venison so any deer carcass gets draped over the fence 'pour encourager les autres'.

I'm with you, shadowcat.....ain't nuthin' better than a honkin' huge beef ribeye. Particularly a ribeye from one of my brother's Wagyu.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I knew that venison sausage needed some pork fat, and I figured that venison chili would too. I think that one of the flaws in yesterday's venison chili was that he hadn't used any supplemental fat.

Ironically, my wife saw three fawns in our front yard yesterday - the first in six years. We abut a large park and a drainage run so there must be a couple families out there.
  • ATACdawg
    11 years ago
    I don't disagree farmerart. Venison to me has a gamey aftertaste. I was just curious about how they dealt with the leanness.

That said, I love a good venison sausage or venison stew. Steaks, not so much!
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    I have deer in my yard year round. 6 was the most I ever saw at once. Last week I saw 3 fawns dart across the street in front of me. I didn't see any does but that doesn't mean they weren't close by. But it got me to wondering. Can deer have triplets? I have seen plenty of twins.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Damn guys, I said venison was best for chili, nothing more. As for beef, bring it on!!!

From "The Whitetail Deer" page:

"A doe goes into estrus in the fall, which means whitetail deer fawns are normally born sometime between late April and early July. Does birth one, two or sometimes three fawns. Though triplets are not as common, twin fawns are often spotted by recreational sports persons and hunters."

sc,

So in answer to your question, yes. You know it must be true since it is on the web.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    Ground venison is the best to start out with. you brown it in a skillet first then rinse it to get rid of the gritty deer fat taste. You than spice and cook it with tomatoes etc.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Thanks Clubber - I guess these 3 were born a little bit early.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion