tuscl

OT: More Proof of the Wussification of America

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Sorry for being way off-topic, but it's a slow Sunday morning.

Shaking my head at this story.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19860…

The Ohio High School State Championship hockey game was declared a tie after 7 overtime periods. There should have been other options - this was seemed like the worst. Farmerart has to be laughing at this one.

It's just more of the same. Everyone gets a trophy. Somehow competition and losing have been declared bad words. These same 18-year old guys playing in this game could have been at war with the North Koreans. Who's going to stop the battle then, saying, "someone could get hurt"?

16 comments

• crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    They need their asses kicked
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    I call BULLSHIT,this kinda shit boils my blood.To get a medal for simply showing up, WTF.I think Moto means Pussification.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Seven over times is a long fucking time!
  • mjx01
    11 years ago
    if everyone is special... then no one is.
  • grand1511
    11 years ago
    I tried searching for more info on this, but couldn't 't find out if these OTs were full periods or five-minute over times like in pro and college hockey. If they were full periods, the players had to be exhausted. Several years ago here in Minnesota the state championship game went into 4 OTs and the players said they were pouring sweat out of their skates during the intermission. What's really remarkable was that through that much hockey, neither team broke down while being so tired to give up an easy goal.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    From what I read, the players were angry. They wanted to play on. I'm really surprised both head coaches agreed to call it a tie. Obviously they weren't "too tired". A tired defense should have allowed a goal.

I feel bad for these kids.
  • juiicebox69
    11 years ago
    My bro jo iz rite ! Whup der azzez !
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    They should have allowed an additional sudden death game to end the tie if the game was taking too long.
  • SuperDude
    11 years ago
    ^^^^
    Call the game for the health and safety of the players and schedule another game as a tie breaker.
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    7 overtimes is stupid. They should do 2 OT's 4 on 4, then go to 3 on 3 and play 5 minutes without sudden death. The game will end when you get down to 2 on 2.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    I can think of several reasons for not extending the game past *seven* fucking over times that have nothing to do with "wussification," but have a fair bit to do with money.

Arena rental. Official and arena staff pay and availability. The aforementioned player safety (as players become more tired, they are more likely to injure themselves, and this injuries are more likely to be more serious).
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    I can think of several reasons for not extending the game past *seven* fucking over times that have nothing to do with "wussification," but have a fair bit to do with money.

Arena rental. Official and arena staff pay and availability. The aforementioned player safety (as players become more tired, they are more likely to injure themselves, and this injuries are more likely to be more serious).
  • rickdugan
    11 years ago
    7 overtimes were more than enough. Indeed, it was the longest state championship game in OHSAA state ice hockey history and the second longest OHSAA ice hockey game all-time. Also, by all reports those kids were dead tired.

I agree in principle that there are countless examples of wussification with kids sports over the years, but this ain't one of them. At some point you just have to put a stop to it, before someone gets seriously hurt.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    ^^^

Then have a shoot out. Or continue the next day.

I'm sure the kids were tired. But c'mon. If they were *really* tired, then a goal would have been scored.

I'm not a hockey fan, but if indeed the kids were tired then the defense would have broken down.

I ain't buying what either George or Rick are selling.

I've umpired Little League baseball up to high school age for years and nothing saddens me more than the practice of everyone wins - trophies for all.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    All reports indicate the players were not happy.

These was not some pee wee team. They were 18 year old men
  • grand1511
    11 years ago
    Found out more about this today.....regular periods were 15 minutes....the OTs were seven minutes. So the kids did play slightly more than two regulation games. And as Motor said, the players were not happy. Evidently there is a national rule that high schools cannot have a shootout to decide a game. Major fail that this decision was made without input from the kids.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion