tuscl

OT: Car Thieves

crazyjoe
Colorado
Monday, February 17, 2014 10:37 AM
Have you ever had a car stolen? Yesterday I went downtown and I took the light rail instead of paying for parking. I had parked in a lot designated for people using public transportation. When I got back my car was not where I parked it. There wasnt any broken glass where i parked it either. I started walking the mile home because it was too chilly to stand around waiting for the cops. As i was walking I tried calling the transit company and got voice mail. Then I called the non emergency police number, voice mail again. I thought, this seemed hokey so I called 911. The dispatcher checked and it had not been towed. My phone was almost dead so the dispatcher told me to call back when I got home and had my phone on the charger. When I got home I called again. They sent an officer to do a report. An hour after the officer left I got a call from the police from a neighboring suburb saying they had my car! I met them where it was at, looked it over and the stereo was missing and the ignition was messed up. All my cd's and jacket etc were still in tact. Someone just wanted a stereo and a joy ride. On my way home with my car Denver theft division called me to confirm that the other city had given them the correct info and that I did in fact get my car back. There are so many chop shops in my area I didn't expect to see my car again! My hat is off to Denver P.D. for acting so quickly!

30 comments

• jackslash
    10 years ago
    That sucks. But at least you got your car back quickly.
  • sofaking87
    10 years ago
    That sucks, good thing you got your car back.
  • rh48hr
    10 years ago
    I have never had my car stolen but I've had stuff stolen a couple times. Glad you got your car back. I've used the light rail in Denver when in town but have never had any problems.
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Some goodness with the police...
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    That sucks – but at least you got it back soon and it was not wrecked or messed up where you could not drive it or have to put a lot of $$$ into it to get it running again.
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    In Detroit the police department requires you to come into the precinct to file a report. There is no investigation of car theft, because it's a non-violent crime. If the car is found in a suburb of Detroit, the Detroit police say it's the responsibility of that suburb to notify the owner, not DPD. I live across the street from a U.S. Department Homeland Security Office and up the block from the U.S. Coast Guard on the Detroit River. My daughter stayed with me two summers ago. Her car, right in the range of the USDHS security camera, was broken into and her stereo stripped out. USDHS said it was local matter. DPD told me to get the video tape of the break-in from USDHS and they would investigate. USDHS would not release the video tape without a request from a senior DPD official who was cleared to receive information from USDHS. The DPD said that they would not make security clearance request on an auto break-in..and on..and on.
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    My personal vehicle was stolen three times in one summer from my reserved space adjacent to the U.S. Courthouse in downtown Detroit. Each time the car was stripped and chopped. The FBI gave me one of their secure spaces as part of stepped out security.
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    ..stepped up..
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I was carjacked long ago at gunpoint by three dudes. I got beat up, but I got away. They stalled my Camaro after 20 ft and ditched, so I got it back. I didn't tell them it had to be warmed up before taking off (it was parked). A very below average night.
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Hence, why you never live or work in Detroit.
  • victor2
    10 years ago
    What is OT?
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    ^ Off topic
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    Try owning a one-eyed '77 Gremlin without a muffler. No car theft problem with that bad boy. You can leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition...people be stealing clear like its got a state of the art car alarm with LoJack. AMC RULEZ!!!
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    If it was up to me, I would have most thieves executed or tortured and then executed. Vandals would also get similar punishment or maybe just torture. I can dream.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    Years ago my truck was stolen while I was out of town. When I saw it next it was totaled. Though I never had it confirmed I believe it was used to ram through a store front as part of a robbery.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    To the priest who said if you stole from other family members it wasn't a serious sin because it was all in the family, shame on him. I'd be ready to lock up the priest for even suggesting that crime is ok if it's kept within the family. It is not ok to steal from anybody.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Broken into, a couple a few times. Never stolen. My son used to leave his gun in his truck. I always told him it wasn't wise. Well, one AM I went out to go to work and my window was busted out. Took nothing but tools. Mostly crap since they were company issued. On another side of the property is where my son parked. I walked over and sure enough, window busted out. He lost a ton of Cds, his guitar and amp, among a bunch of other things. I was more than shocked when his gun was still there. I still wonder why? They had to have seen it, I believe. Perhaps they figured to easy to trace?
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    My 1994 GMC Jimmy was stolen from the parking lot at Detroit Metro Airport while I was out of town. Upon recovery of the vehicle, completely stripped, the dealer said the car could not have been driven away without key, because the steering column housing was unbreakable. Upon learning that my wife had started divorce proceedings, he suggested that I ask her about the spare key. I didn't believe it was possible, until I learned that she had dropped my car off her insurance policy.
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    The main reason I drive shitty cars is to make sure NOBODY is tempted to break into it.
  • Corvus
    10 years ago
    Losing a car to thieves sucks big time. But I have a friend who's F-250 was stolen from his home just after he left for a multi day trip. His neighbor called him and it was reported stolen. A few days later it was spotted 100 miles or so away pulling out of a gas station/ C-store. It pulled out of the parking lot very fast, and in front of a cop. The cop called in the plates and pursued. Dumb ass thieves pulled over and tried to run through a pasture. The only damage was the steering column and my friend had a full tank of gas and case of beer to boot!
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    That sucks super dude
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    I have a friend that had his truck stolen and his brother saw it on the freeway. His brother followed at a distance while on the phone to 911. The cops caught up and it was a 16 yr old and his girlfriend out for a joyride. He didn't have a license
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I feel for you CJ. I hate thieves. Having your home or car robbed is just shitty. The feeling of being violated is fucked up. I wonder why some of the Boy Scouts on this site haven't chirped up. I guess name calling is more egregious to them than actual crime.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    SS, You are so correct! It isn't the loss, so much, but that feeling of having been violated by some low life scum sucking asshole!
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Zipman, although owning an old broken down (as if there is another kind) Gremlin may sound attractive (?) it has its own problems. For instance, a maintenance worker might happen by, mistake it for litter, and sweep its rusty remains into his dustpan. An honest error to be sure, but with the same net result. ;-)
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Thank you slick
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    You're very welcome, Joe. One night, two of my sisters and I went to the movies in one sisters convertible. After the movie, we walk to her car to find the passenger window broken, the car stereo stolen, and a jagged tear in the convertible top. They couldn't cut enough of the top out so they broke the window. Too things to repair.
  • skibum609
    10 years ago
    My then girlfriend and I had two cars in 1985, with one being a Pontiac Trans Am. Between January and June it was stolen three times, deteriorating each time we got it back, until it was a useless piece of junk.
  • victor2
    10 years ago
    Thank you
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    Yep.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion