tuscl

Y'all

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:40 AM
Is Y'all in your vocabulary? This has traditionally been a southern thing but I have seen a few TUSCLers using it and they hail from other regions of the country. When I moved to Atlanta in 1987 from southern California my 2 kids were 10 & 11 and did not use y'all. Now they both use it but I don't. How about you?

30 comments

• bang69
    10 years ago
    I us it when talking with my friends that were born & raised here in the south
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    I don't say "y'all." When I lived in San Antonio, I probably used it sometimes because I heard it so much.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Always have and always will. Even though, in Florida, the further south you go the more north you get, I'm still about as Southern as you can get.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I do not but have lived in the south most of my life. I picked up my speech from my parents and never felt a need to change my speech because of others.
  • sofaking87
    10 years ago
    I always giggle when I here people say y'all. Often ill say "don't you mean everyone"? Lol!
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    When I lived in Pittsburgh, the equivalent was "yunz". I think that it was a corruption of "you ones", but I'm not sure.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I use it occasionally.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    Y'all is "you guys" in Yankee. Or "youse" in Brooklyn.
  • gatorfan
    10 years ago
    Yous yall in a sentence please.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Out in Central California, we got a lot of them Okies from the Dust Bowl. I heard it growing up and I use it on a daily basis.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    @ATAdawg, I grew up near Pittsburgh and I used to say "yunz" but I broke the habit. I think you're right--it means "you ones."
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    ^^^ In Pittsburgh, I always thought they were saying "you'ins"
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Well, they may be, but it's spelled yunz. After all, we must use correct grammar and spelling! LOL
  • rh48hr
    10 years ago
    As someone who grew up in Pittsburgh the correct spelling is yinz. Pittsburgh truly has it's own language. For the proper translations here is a English to Pittsburgh dictionary. [view link]
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Lived in the south for seven years hear it all the time. Never said it no plans on starting too.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    "Yes, yes y'all Yes y'all Who's got the vibe for the tribe y'all Tribe y'all"
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    @rh48hr: Have yinz all Ben ta Jynt Iggle fer pierohis en dat ta get redd up fer da big game?
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    If ya can have a big game widout da Stillers!
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    Nope. Not here in the glorious 'burbs of LA. We're way too snobby to ever resort to using the slang terminology of the common people who reside east of Sepulveda Blvd ;)
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Lopaw-You know what Big Snoop would have to say about that? You can't spell the West without the E-S.
  • rh48hr
    10 years ago
    ATACdawg - i have been to giant eagle for perrogies to get ready for the big game. Lol. And I love my Steelers. :) I also find I like to use words such as yinz, nebby, crick and ruff just to not lose the Pittsburgh in me. I've never had the accent tho.
  • likes2look
    10 years ago
    I was born on the gulf coast of LA and learned to use y'all and its plural form all y'all before my parents moved me back to th family farm in the Midwest. Now I am in the western US and don't have much cause to use y'all, but it is good to know a second language .
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Clubber-If you're as Southern as it gets, does that mean that you're also Argentino? We gauchos are very Southern.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    True. No big game widout da Stillers.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    SS, I was referring to just the states. :)
  • fun12times12
    10 years ago
    Knowing when to use y'all is very important. For example, walk into a bar down here and ask a group of strippers this.....which one of Y'all can take it all down to my balls. Find one that says yeah and you've got your winner. Sounds like everyone in the motor city will answer yes though.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    I would like to correct l2l's comment, "...y'all and its plural form all y'all...". Y'all, alone is both singular and plural. That said, y'all and all y'all are synonymous.
  • MrDeuce
    10 years ago
    I seldom say "y'all" but realize that it serves a useful purpose. Unlike almost all other European languages, English has lost its second-person plural pronoun, or rather replaced its old second-person singular "thou" with the second-person plural "you". Americans have been inventing words to fill the gap for centuries: "y'all" in the South, "yous" in New York, "yunz" in Pittsburgh, and "you guys" all over the country. Of these choices, I actually prefer "y'all". Embrace it -- don't scorn it!
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Its cuter when she says it
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    crazy, Anyone that doesn't love a southern hottie with her drawl just ain't right in the head! That goes for y'all.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion