tuscl

How often do you get your clothes custom/tailored?

Estafador
BIG APPLE
Me myself, being at the height of 6'4" with a waist size of 32" and an inseam of 38" (81.28x96.52cm), I pretty much get all my clothes tailored except the casual tops (that is USUALLY polo shirts)...but then again I don't too often go out of my way to wear button downs or want to spend money on a custom fit of medium tall. So about 85% of my wardrobe is custom made. And I'm talking jeans, chinos, khakis, other casual pants and even one or two pairs of fitting dress pants. But that's more out of necessity than out of want. Once I bulk up, I shall hopefully be happily be picking up clothes off the rack because sometimes is a real drab when the custom stuff I get is not NEARLY as exotic as off the shelf/rack stuff. So I live expensive not out of want.

How about you guys, how often do you go custom/tailor fitting for you clothing? And I know it would especially apply to you normally wearing suit guys.

32 comments

• SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I get my clothes customized but for a different reason. I'm 5'7" and built like a Chimp. I have long arms and short legs. Add to that a 27 waist and wide shoulders. I think that I have a little too much Neandertal DNA.

Anyways, I like my tailored clothes. They fit great and look great.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    What about your bras?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    What about em?
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    @Slic I feel you man. I got them broad shoulders too. I'm not sure if I have a basketball body or a football body, but I do know it's definetely athletic. Makes you wonder how basketball players shop for fitting jeans.

@TD nah, I get the bras at a local sexy lingere shop. I never spend more than enough on the females, so I get their shit off the rack.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Slick

My Dad had a 28" waist and had difficulty in finding pants. He usually wore 30" that were sloppy big.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    What color are they?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Silver & Black.
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    ^^^

Raiiiiiiiderz
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    I said "your bras" not your nipples.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    If I find something on the rack I really like but don't think it fits perfectly then I'll get it altered.

Most of my suits are off the rack and altered but I've got some that are made to measure.
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    it's easier when your bigger jester. Anyone know any good chain tailor stores, or good tailor stores in NY (I already know Brooks, i got a total of two items from them).
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    I have never purchased a single item of bespoke clothing. Now that I can afford this luxury I probably should go this route. When I am rigged out in my corporate or formal dress I am very conscious of the fact that my rigging is always the shabbiest of whatever meeting or social function that I may be attending.

You can take the old roughneck off the drilling rig but you can never take the drilling rig out of the old roughneck.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    @Art-Just because a Buckaroo has silver con his doesn't make him any less of a Buckaroo.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Last time was 1965 when I was stationed in Japan. Just too cheap to pass up.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    In the past couple of years I've lost 50 lbs. and have gone from a 48L to a 46R. I found an old Italian tailor near my home and had my favorite suits and a cashmere topcoat altered. Generally I buy clothes off the rack and they fit well. I went from a 44 inch waist to a 38 and have gotten all new slacks. Alterations cost almost as much as new.
  • jabthehut
    11 years ago
    Estie, you wear TOPS? All this time I thought you were a dude. Men wear shirts, women wear tops!
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    I hardly ever wear suits – actually only have one – I mostly dress casual and comfortable and hardly ever have anything tailored.

I’m 5”10 w/ a 34” waist – so I don’t have much trouble finding stuff that fits well enough.

I also have never been big into dressing to impress – not that there is anything wrong w/ that – just not my thing/personality.
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    Very rarely.

I'm not into fashion.

I don't go outside the house looking like a bum, but I don't spend a lot of money on clothes either.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Do shoes count?

I have two pairs of hand made dress shoes, crafted for me in London. This is not vanity on my part, more a necessity. My left foot was damaged in an accident many years ago. For my regular footwear I must buy two pairs of shoes, one size for my left foot and one size for my right foot. This is a pain in the ass but I can live with it.

On a business trip to London I discovered this terrific shoemaker. The first shoes that he crafted for me were a delight. I had him make me a second pair when I was in London for the 2012 Olympics.

I asked him if he would do work boots, sneakers, and winter wear........no dice!

• sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I got my clothes modified more recently than Shadowcat. I don't remember when but it was after I was born, lol. I do not remember paying anyone to do it.
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    @GoViking well when the winter months come a calling, it's better to be form fitting than loosy goosy. It help keeps the cold at bay, and it's incredibly gorgeous to the female eye.

@JabtheHut darn you found me out. Figured out my darkest secret. I'm actually...no wait I'm definetely a man. Can't a guy just reference tops to all manner of upper waist clothing *sniffle sniffle*
  • rockstar666
    11 years ago
    I never have my walking around clothes tailored outside of if I buy a new suit, which is once every 5 years. I've had stage clothes custom made by friends who can sew.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    I'm big into fashion, but I don't get my clothes custom or tailored.

Esta- You're 6 foot 4? It's not too late, you can still be a NFL WR or a NBA shooting guard/point guard.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Occasionally for suspenders.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    No comments from LeisureSuit RickyBoy on this? Does he get the white three piece polyester suit tailored or not?
  • sshrfrsky
    11 years ago
    Tailoring is pricey as I just found out. Had my off the rack suit tailored because I dropped a few pounds this past year. Jacket and pants taken in, suit buttons moved to further take in jacket and pants hemmed. Fits better but not perfect. At 80 something bucks it's not something I would want to do often.
  • SuperDude
    11 years ago
    As often as possible, because my professional appearance is important in business. Wearing suits is standard in my world.
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    Farmerart's cool. He ent to the London Olympics. How was it being in person?
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Never, unless I'm buying a suit.
  • rickdugan
    11 years ago
    I often wear suits when I am traveling for work or attending meetings locally. But otherwise I tend to dress very casually. I'm a beach bum at heart and would never dream of wearing casual clothes that require tailoring.
  • Estafador
    11 years ago
    well ricky boy, when your ape shit tall, your choices become more limited by the inch (in terms of body height only)
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Then there was the guy from Alabama that wore a custom made suit to his vasectomy. He felt that if he was going to be impotent he wanted to look impotent.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion