tuscl

OT:Chilli

Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:59 PM
So, I was supposed to have my chilli ready by the 49ers@Seahawks game kick-off but I didn't. It still needs to become a little more Chillified. It's getting there. Anybody make their own chilli? One of my not so secret Ingredients is Chorizo in the chilli.

29 comments

• SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Chili, not chilli. Lo siento mis amigos.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Hell yeah, made it last weekend. I use turkey and Bison in mine.
  • Alucard
    10 years ago
    I hate it and never eat it. :)
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I gotta use bison. I use beef and chorizo but bison and chorizo would be even better.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I love my chili. It's better than my mom's. Maybe not be for everyone. It's sweet hot. I make it extremely hot but then try to take some of the edge off it with some sugar. I love it. Better the next day. I love the Chorizo idea.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Slick - Beans or no beans? I know real Texas Red isn't supposed to have beans, but in my book, it has to have a lot of beans.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I'm a beef man and as far as seasonings go I like to include ground cumin and fresh cilantro to top it.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Speaking of food, did you know that last year for the first time in the USA chicken outsold beef? I think the price of beef is probably responsible for that.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Never tried sugar but I just did. Thanks for the tip, Moto. Shadow, I too use the cumin.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    ^^ I add some cumin too. Really puts the taste over the top. But you have to be careful. Too much is not better. I did read that about chicken. The price of beef really went up after the drought 2 summers ago in the Midwest devastated a lot of the corn crop. But I think people feel chicken is healthier also.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    I eat more chicken any man ever seen,yeah.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    I love chicken but I have a genetic pre-disposition to eating beef. It's called Gauchotossis.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    I use the light kidney and black beans
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Dice-You too are a disciple of The Lizard King.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    Don't you love her madly?
  • sshrfrsky
    10 years ago
    You put your chorizo in the chili!? You are a sick Spic
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @SlickSpic: Hell yeah, I use chorizo too. And stew beef instead of hamburger. And cumin as well. You guys been watching me make it? :)
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    The chili that I made for New Years Day this year included beef, pintos, red kidney beans, and black beans, as well as some rendered bacon fat to start. Also two cans of diced tomatoes, lots of sweet baby bell peppers, a single Anaheim pepper, and two medium onions. Seasonings: one bottle of Yuengling beer, Worcestshire sauce, garlic, cumin, paprika, dried mustard, sugar, cayenne, salt, pepper and a square of Baker's chocolate, all simmered together for four hours. Beef, onions and peppers were browned before going into the pot. That was my basic "wuss" chili, since my wife just won't do spicy. For those of us who like the heat, I chopped and sauteed two jalapeños, two more Anaheims and two habaneros in a little canola oil, then mixed in about a single bowl's worth of wuss chili. That way, each person could mix in as much heat as they wanted. IMO good chili should just sit in the pot and cook itself without any heat. I have been trying to evolve a White Chicken chili recipe as well. One of these days I'll get it right! Slick, I love the chorizo idea. I'm going to steal it next year. Spanish or Mexican chorizo?
  • ButterMan
    10 years ago
    I love my chili. It's better than my mom's. Maybe not be for everyone. It's sweet hot. I make it extremely hot but then try to take some of the edge off it with some sugar Damn moterhead i thought sugar was my original idea. I guess not! I use beef,sausage,sugar and semi-sweet chocolate. I love giving it that hot-sweet taste.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @ATAC-You just rendered me impotent! Your chili sounds fucking amazing. I'm gonna have to bite your recipe, with your permission. I use Mexican chorizo. If you guys get the chance, order some Pinquito Beans. They only grow them in the Santa Maria Valley in Central California. I love them. Then again, I've eaten them for decades. Try [view link]. I could be wrong.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Slick: permission granted - a fair trade for the chorizo idea! My son-in-law and I both tried the heated up version undiluted. Even though it was hot enough to remove paint, it still had a nice flavor.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Almost forgot, the ground beef was a two pound pkg of 93% lean. I also thickened it with about 1-1/2 ounces of finely crushed Fritos (that idea was stolen from Alton Brown on Good Eats. Do watch the overall salt proportion. There is salt in the bacon, Worcestershire and the Fritos which makes it easy to oversalt.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    No shit,try a little cocoa.
  • lotsoffun201
    10 years ago
    I make a mean green chili
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    My personal chili recipe changes every time that I decide to make a batch. The only thing that I am fussy about is the meat. The meat must be beef and ground beef is not permitted in any of my chilis. I prefer the tougher cuts of meat. I simmer my chili for hours and during that long simmering process the collagen in the tougher beef cuts melts into the sauce, giving it a deliciously creamy unctuousness. I constantly fool around with the spices and vegetables. A recent batch that I made featured my personal garam masala mix and was most tasty. Another less successful batch of chili Included celeriac that I tossed into the pot on a whim. I have heard of the chocolate thing. After reading so many comments here about chocolate or cocoa I will trying that on my next chili making episode.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    Chili is a cooking challenge? Damn, we are PLs.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Ibby, only REAL men cook and eat chili! Not PLs lol.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    It's easy to make a basic, decent bowl of chili. But it's also true there seems to be no limit on the number of very different but still very good recipes for it.
  • looker123
    10 years ago
    My secrets are a big piece of shoulder chuck in a half inch dice and toasted and ground dried whole chilis. Cant beat it! And no, if its chilli for me, no beans, if Im feeding family they want beans.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion