tuscl

Brady vs Manning

gawker
Older than dirt
Well, the AFC Championship Game pitsTom Brady vs Peyton Manning. This classic matchup should be a great game. I asked my ATF if it hurts or helps the dancers. She predicts a deadly slow Sunday afternoon while the game is played but a very busy evening after the game. She bemoans the fact that the game is in Denver since home games frequently bring slightly inebriated high spending customers to her club after a high profile game, since hers is one of the closest clubs to Foxborough.

15 comments

• rockie
    11 years ago
    Do they even watch this game in Pittsburgh?

• Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Manning and Brady are often compared as to whom is the best and Manning is often given a beat down due to his playoff record.

I like Manning but I’m not a real huge fan of him or the Colts/Broncos (although I’ll normally pull for them). But I believe Manning is unfairly criticized for the Colts’ playoff record.

The Colts are kinda a small Midwestern team and IMO have not necessarily had the same talent; player and coaching wise; as Brady.

The Colts have never really had stout defenses like the Patriots often have – you take Manning away from the Colts and Brady away from the Patriots and the Patriots would be a better team than the Colts.

They say defense wins championships and the Colts have had ok defenses at best but def not dominant ones IMO.

So it stands to reason IMO that an avg team whom Manning made very good while playing against lesser competition during the regular season; would struggle against better playoff teams and Manning alone was often not enough to overcome the Colts shortcomings when playing against the better playoff teams.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    I can agree with a lot of that PC. When Brady was hurt the Pats just barely missed the playoffs, the colts on the other hand ended up with the first pick in the draft after Manning went down.
  • Clackport
    11 years ago
    I am no fan of Brady, but it's obvious he's better than Manning. Manning has better passing numbers, but when Brady actually has some receivers (2007 with Moss and Welker) he can put up Peyton Manning type numbers. Brady has beaten Manning 10 out of 14 times. Obviously Brady has 3 rings and Peyton has one. Although when Brady won his rings he wasn't nearly as good as he has been for the past 6-7 years.

The Broncos are much more talented on offense than the Patriots and as a team in general. If Manning at home can't beat Brady this weekend I don't want to hear anyone saying Manning is the best QB of all time.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    Brady is simply better when it matters more. If you look at most of the Colts playoff losses when Manning was QB and Denver's loss last year the offense simply didn't score points. This year Brady not only had to deal with losing his top 5 receivers fr4om last year, but 3 rookie wideouts as well. He's also durable having played every single snap this year. Change 2 plays in the last two super bowls and he'd have won five and be the best ever. Montana remains the best ever?
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    @Brady is simply better when it matters more.Tell that to thee New York Football Giants.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Ski,

So you think winning a Super Bowl is the measure of a bad, good, great, or best QB?

So that would put Doug Williams and Trent Dilfer ahead of Johnny U?
  • mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Marino was the baddest gunslinger ever. Those other guys put up *his* numbers. It takes a whole team to win the superbowel,Duh.
  • rickdugan
    11 years ago
    Manning is one heck of a regular season QB, but he has tended to choke in big playoff games, especially when everything is executing less than perfectly. I think the word Diva might be a bit too strong, but Diva-ish might be right.

Fortunately for Manning, he is playing in Denver rather than another game in Gillette Stadium, where he choked earlier this year against the Pats in an absolutely atrocious performance. Manning has always been a pussy in the cold weather. It is hard to respect a QB who always chokes when he has to win the big playoff game in a cold outdoor stadium, regardless of how good his regular season numbers are.

The weather is supposed to be mild in Denver this coming Sunday, compared to the possibility of snow in MA, so that should help him.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    mikeya02,

In sports or any endeavor, as the number of participants decrease, the value of the individual increases. Not a difficult concept to grasp, don't you think?
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Welker will be on a mission.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    dice,

How do you know he's a Mormon?
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I think Carol Brady had sex with Greg.

Incest!
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    For many years the Colts defense was awful. Can't put that on Manning.

And as much as I hate Bill Belichik, he's a million times better coach than Tony Dungy. Dungy is too nice.

Dungy was LOADED with talent inTampa Bay but couldn't win. Only until Gruden took over did TB win a Super Bowl.

Given a better coach in Indy, Peyton might have more rings.
  • thenumber10
    11 years ago
    It scares the everliving bejesus out of me that the Pats have to go to Denver. Bad things happen in Denver for us.

Honestly I have no idea how the game is going to go. The Pats O can be explosive like they were saturday, or anemic like they were again Cleveland Cincy and Miami. If they are competent then they have a chance but otherwise Denver can just rip into them.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion