tuscl

Anti Club Activists

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:03 AM
Have you ever pulled up to a club and had picketers and protesters in front of the club. Several years ago I pulled up to a club and there were pickets out front and a group was copying license plate numbers and screaming "Does your wife know you are here?" and "would you want your daughter working here" . I have also seen protesters at other clubs both rowdy and subdued (just handing out leaflets). I personally think the subdued are often more effective because most people are more receptive to a calm approach rather than "a hell fire and brimstone" or in your face threatening approach. I did not care about the plate numbers as I was in a rental and if they somehow got your name from your plate it is food for a lawsuit. This club was in a small shopping center they could not prove you went to the club. I also was tempted to yell back: 'yes she is inside waiting for me'. or 'I'm here to pick her up for an out call to your pastor's house'. But I did not respond because those idiots live for publicity and are always looking for a confrontation. When I came out later the cops were there making the protesters leave, they had blocked the entrance shopping center (it had a restaurant, bank and other businesses that shared the entrance) and part of the street. What is your experience?

25 comments

• Dougster
    11 years ago
    Tt: "'would you want your daughter working here'" This happened to txtittyfan outside the HiLiter in Phoenix. "Funny thing you should ask", he said, "as a matter of fact she does work in here. Offers BBBF for $60 to strangers. And, yes, I do want her working her because she needs to pay off the margin debt she racked up following my advice to short treasuries 2009-2012... Looks I am no more displeased than if she was in the armed forces or working as a cop!"
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Can't say that I have.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    I've never seen or heard of such a protest. I travelled to southern Alabama for awhile and I asked a co-worker from that area about strip clubs and was amazed at the vituperative response. "THE CHURCH" (Southern Baptist I later learned) is opposed to that sinful place and you'll go to hell if you enter such a den of sinful behavior. I guess I should be grateful that others care so much about my soul, but I'd rather they mind their own business.
  • sofaking87
    11 years ago
    Lol, I've never heard of strip club protests before. I thought the biker gangs ran SC's? It wouldn't be safe for the protesters, lol! Anyhow I wouldn't go in if there were a protest, there's always another club nearby.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    NEVER.
  • Chili Palmer
    11 years ago
    It happened with some regularity at the Imperial Showgirls in Pico Rivera. Local churchgoers hung out at the parking lot entrance into the strip mall where it was located, waving signs, yelling at the customers and even taking pictures of the cars and license plates. It actually was an effective protest in the sense that the city council and club owners eventually worked out a deal to close the club, far sooner than it would otherwise have happened. A lowdown dirty shame, too. Was a great club for inexpensive, relatively high mileage laps. CP
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    I never heard of anything like that. It's kind of funny. That is about like having dancers walk into their church and start stripping during Sunday church services.
  • Chili Palmer
    11 years ago
    Here's the LA Times article when ISG opened amid protests: [view link] Here's the protesters being kicked out by court order (due to "unruliness"): [view link] CP
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    We need more anti church activists
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    About 20 years there was a small group of older women protesting outside the club. They were not at all threatening or intimidating. Just silently held protest signs.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    @ Chili: I lived in L.A. at the time and I do remember the Imperial-Pico Rivera protests. The second link you gave is particularly good reading. I just love this part: "Demonstrators also damaged the club building, destroying the locks, and on one occasion forced the club to shut down by pulling six vehicles up to the front of the club and leaning on their car horns for 15 minutes, Smith declared." Many other clubs had protesters. Strip club openings are contentious in many locations. TV cameras like to show up and interview protestors, club officials, and customers. I will only avoid a club under protest if I see TV cameras present.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    @ Chili (again): Do you remember the long-since closed Blue Zebra near downtown L.A.? The owner there did something to take advantage of protesters. A lot of L.A. clubs (then, anyway) ran ads in newspaper sports sections and the L.A. Weekly. The Blue Zebra owners made an occasion out of the protest by putting language to this effect in their ads: "PROTESTERS SPECIAL - If protesters are present upon your arrival, admission is FREE." I always think that in the strip club business, any publicity is good publicity. On site, it may deter some potential customers from entering, but it lets the rest of the world know that there's a new strip club opening.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    The first time I encounter it was in Cleveland.. that was the one taking plate numbers the second was in a distant Chicago suburb and they were just handing out leaflets protesting the club being in the town. (the club gave a dollar off cover if you had a leaflet to turn in!
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I heard of at least one club in Wellford SC where I heard sometimes activists would take pictures of license plates. I do not know what they did with whatever information they got. I never heard much about it and did not see them. I occasionally saw someone sitting out in their car in the parking lot which made me wonder if they might resort to violence. Then it would be a matter for the police to arrest and convict them. Who is the real trouble maker? Those breaking the law. Of course some activists have learned they can modify the law in some small towns if they have enough support. In the situation above, the activists wasted their time. Management of the club changed and the changes sucked. What was once a busy club was dead. I'm surprised they are still in business. Someone must have deep pockets. They got rid of the all nude clubs on their own. It's been at least 2 years since I last visited.
  • Yoda
    11 years ago
    Years ago there was a guy who stood out in front of Alex's in Stoughton Mass regularly with a cross and some sort of religious script all attached to a sign. He made the television news a few times in the 80's and 90's. I saw him out there maybe about ten years ago for the last time but, who knows, he may still be making an appearance once in a while.
  • Chili Palmer
    11 years ago
    @Club_Goer: I remember the Blue Zebra, but not those protests. Great idea by the owners. The early 90s were truly the Golden Age of high mileage throughout Los Angeles (sigh). CP
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Ban churches
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    Never have seen one or heard about one.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Sounds like they should be taken picture of and stuck on this web site as anti-american.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    No Ma'am is what Al Bundy would formyinfo combat these protesters.
  • kingcripple
    11 years ago
    No, never. I have seen a picture online of these feminazis picketing Hooters and the girls bringing then out coffee. I don't know if that was real or not.
  • OneAngryDwarf
    11 years ago
    ControVersy, the second-newest club in Pittsburgh, was under protest before it opened due to being located next door to a rehab center for alcoholics. The rehab place threatened to take pictures of the clients as they went in the SC and post them publicly on Facebook. Not sure if they ever followed through with that but I know the club did get raided and shut down for a few months... it's since reopened.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    Takes a lot of balls to get in people's faces telling 'em not to do something like enter a strip club. Threats to photograph folks are just psycho. Outing people for thing is never cool, unless they're active hypocrites (like a pastor running an anti-SC group that clubs himself) or doing something harmful and illegal (stealing stuff, etc.). I did get stopped by a religious nut going to a stones concert. Told me and my girlfriend that we should turn away 'cos the "Bridges to Babylon" tour was a bridge to Satan (or maybe it was Santa...who the fuck knows with religious nutjobs). I told him we paid $150 for our tickets so we were going in and I sincerely hoped that Lucifer would join Mick for a duet on "Sympathy for the Devil".
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    ONLY 15 minutes of car horns?
  • rl27
    11 years ago
    A few times. Most of the times I just annoy them, but at one club I pulled into, Olympus, they were writing down license plate numbers, and saying they would post our numbers in the newspapers. They never did, but the threats and constant picketing caused people to avoid the club, and it closed after less than six month.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion