More cowbell

AbbieNormal
Maryland
Thursday, December 8, 2005 8:52 PM
I mean really, we need more cowbell.

22 comments

• AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    I have to admit that given the whole history, cowbell probably wouldn't make my top 10. The standard of "good skit" is a bit lower nowdays. My top 10 in no particular order; Mr. Robinson's neighborhood Convict poet (also Eddie Murphy, "Kill my landlord...") Point Counterpoint (Jane you ignorant slut...) Chris Farley's Chippendale's audition The Ladies Man Sprockets Waynes World Belushi's Samuri Cheeburger! Then again, maybe it does crack the top 10.
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    Thanks for the answers. I will have to investigate now.
  • ShotDisc
    19 years ago
    The cowbell sketch was the #5 skit on SNL according the the E! online website. Here are the top 20 20 Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker 19 The Amy Fisher TV movies 18 The Blues Brothers 17 The Sinatra Group 16 Stand-Up and Win, with Jerry Seinfeld 15 Hanukkah Harry Saves Christmas 14 Black History Minute 13 The Sensitive Naked Man 12 The Church Lady sketch, with Sean Penn 11 The Boston Teens 10 The Partridge Family vs. the Brady Bunch 9 Chippendales Auditions 8 "The Hanukkah Song" 7 "Ebony & Ivory" 6 Barbra Streisand on Coffee Talk 5 The "Cowbell Sketch" 4 Phil Hartman's Goodbye 3 Alec Baldwin's Schwetty Balls 2 The First Show After 9-11 1 Wayne's World, with Aerosmith and Tom Hanks
  • ShotDisc
    19 years ago
    also Operaman, Canteen boy, LandShark, Doug and Wendy Whiner, Lisa Loopner
  • ShotDisc
    19 years ago
    cowbell made the list. also it is available on one of the Best of Will Ferrel dvds Gotta go with the classics. Cheezburger, shimmer floor was, Chevy and Richard Pryor Word association
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    Anyone know if this SNL comedy was in the 101 most memorable moments of Saturday Night Live? I noticed E was playing that last night and I saved the top ones to watch later. I was wondering what number it might be if anyone knows or if it made the list at all.
  • easyed14
    19 years ago
    Told you guys I'd be sorry I asked!
  • lousybuck
    19 years ago
    it's will ferrell, man. he's funny in the skit.
  • JC2003
    19 years ago
    More cowbell. OK, not really, but I wanted to top this post because of the latest outbreak of RLitis.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    AN: Your right, maybe I do, but that's my point. It's not very topical stuff in my book. Maybe I expect too much from television....probably why I spend so much time in strip clubs!
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    AN: Actually I'm a huge Christopher Walken fan. I just didn't care for the skit. I may be being a bit tough on the SNL writers. I'm deal with record producers in my work often and the guy portrayed in that skit is a charicature of the kind of record producer that went out of style about 20 years ago.
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    Yoda, I think that was the point. Perhaps you know too much for the skit to be funny.
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    OK, opinions differ, and I'll admit that a large part of the skit was physical and the sight of the actors trying to keep from losing it. I'll also admit that the James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub show was ...genius, but I like Christopher Walken (see Fatboy Slim, "Weapon of Choice" video), and these days you take what you can get.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    Skits like that are the reason I haven't been a regular viewer of SNL since Eddie Murphy left. How can you put "More Cowbell" in the same friggin league as Eddie doing "James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub"? Now THAT is a freekin classic. OK, I'm dating myself, I know....
  • AbbieNormal
    19 years ago
    I agree it is a bit esoteric, or perhaps idiosyncratic, but it just struck me as funny. When you think Blue Oyster Cult, cowbell isn't the first instrument to come to mind, but there it is. Also, there was a brief "Walken for President" movement. The campaign slogan? "What this country needs is more cowbell."
  • lousybuck
    19 years ago
    That's the best snl skit in 15 years. I've got the fever baby and it can only be cured by more cowbell!
  • casualguy
    19 years ago
    I searched the internet and even got out an old tape of BOC Don't Fear the Reaper listening for a cowbell. I guess I must have missed something long ago since I don't get it either.
  • JC2003
    19 years ago
    It's a reference to an old SNL skit where Christopher Walken plays a producer who wants Blue Oyster Cult to put "more cowbell" in their music. It never really struck me as that funny, but it's an esoteric favorite for some. Maybe you have to be a Blue Oyster Cult fan to appreciate it.
  • easyed14
    19 years ago
    I'll probably regret asking but, okay guys, is this an east coast thing? What the hell do you mean by cowbell?
  • FONDL
    19 years ago
    I agree, it makes them easier to find at milking time.
  • chitownlawyer
    19 years ago
    I'm sorry, I can't hear you over that clanging sound.
  • DB Cooper
    19 years ago
    Most definitely. You can never have enough cowbell
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion