tuscl

Luv it.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:27 PM
A local strip club says the City of Davenport owes them nearly $200,000 for keeping their dancers off the stage for a year. A federal court has ruled against the city in the strip club's lawsuit. The City of Davenport shut down Chorus Line Gentleman's Club back in 2009. Since then, three courts have ruled in the strip clubs favor and they've since reopened . But now the City of Davenport will have to pay up. It's just off Kimberly Rd. and Brady St. where the strippers take the stage and their clothes come off. "Imagine if you have an operating business and all of a sudden the city tells you nope you cant operate anymore."says Chorus Line's attorney, Mike Meloy. Meloy says that back in 2009 City Administrator Craig Malin denied the clubs renewal for an adult entertainment license. "Davenport claims that there's another adult business on the premises called Dr. Johns boutique." And that would be illegal, but Dr. Johns is licensed as a retail shop, not adult entertainment. So they took it to court...and won. The strip club opened back up in 2010, but now they want the city to pay for the year's worth of lost business. The federal court's ruling that came down on Friday says the city IS responsible for damages caused to the club when they were illegally forced to close. "We're going to be claiming damages in the amount of roughly $200,000 for the time when chorus line was shut down illegally." Meloy says. And those numbers don't include Chorus Line's attorney and court fees since 2009. On top of that, public record shows the city has spent more than $80,000 on outside attorneys to handle the three trials they lost. The city attorney and city administrator referred us to outside council for comment, those calls have not been returned. A trial is set for September 16th to determine how much money the City of Davenport will have to fork over to the strip club.

8 comments

• pabloantonio
    11 years ago
    Finally a discussion thread that is actually enjoyable to read. I hope Davenport has to pay thru the ass.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    I hope this teaches other cities a lesson. They might not like strip clubs but they can't illegally shut them down.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    Recent court decisions about gay marriage indicate the courts are finally rejecting the idea that prudery is a valid reason to make exceptions to equality under the law. Looks like that's going to have some payoffs in our neck of the woods too.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    If I ever go back to the strip clubs of the Quad Cities, it's nice to have another option. I seem to recall that particular one as being the one to avoid, though.
  • Dacandyman
    11 years ago
    This is rly cool. ppl complain there are no jobs but thev close business they dont like. Maybe if the club was doing somethin that caused problems like lots of noise or shoothing or stabings but if it is just ppl having fun in the club not hurtin nobody the should leave the alone
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    <i>This is rly cool. ppl complain there are no jobs but thev close business they dont like.</i> They want more welfare, more slaves of the state. Meanwhile they OK outsourcing and eliminate laws that would have taxed foreign made goods. Then wonder why we are losing jobs. The congress (especially the senate) are retards. Vote them all out.
  • Prim0
    11 years ago
    Watch out...the city may sue all of the PL Customers for all of the money they would have spent had the club been open. I'm sure guys would have spent thousands!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Now that's taking it to the man! First, these bums. Next, it's those fat cats in Washington!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion