tuscl

Tipping on Takeout

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
NFL quarterback Drew Brees has recently been criticized for leaving a small tip.
$3 on a bill of of 74.41. Cheap, huh? But wait - it was a take-out order.

Is it standard practice to tip on take-out? If anything, I probably overtip. I'm by no means cheap. I always tip at least 20% for restaurants. I always give the waitress a dollar or two even for the free soft drinks at clubs like Deja Vu. I give the waitress $2 or $3 just for changing a twenty into singles. But I have never, ever tipped for restaurant takeout and being a single guy, I get alot of pizza and Chinese.

Heard one guy say that the rule is a dollar for each item.

Does anyone tip on takeout?

27 comments

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    That depends on how good she is. :)
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I set you up Kat! Lol. I knew that was coming.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    It depends on the kind of food. For pizza or chinese I wouldn't bother, unless it was a really big order.

When I get takeout from a true restaurant I'll usually leave some kind of tip since I know those people have to do a little more than typical.
  • 23cambyman
    11 years ago
    Good one shadowcat! I tip occasionally on take out, not as much as I would if I sat down in the restaurant. I think if you tip on take out, you are generous. The individual who put this on the internet is an idiot!
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Chinese takeout I never tip. If I order something from say Applebee’s and there is a tip jar there; I’ll throw in a buck or two.

But as has been often discussed on here w.r.t. tipping; a lot of people seem to have a sense of entitlement. Just b/c Breese makes a lot of $$$ doesn’t mean he has to give it away or others are entitled to his $$$.

If he acted as most (i.e. not tipping for Chinese takeout) then I don’t see a problem.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    11 years ago
    I sometimes see a notice on the wall of a cheap business, "Tipping is not a city in China." To that I say, "And your point is?"
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    I usually give $2 if 30 minutes or less
  • nickifree
    11 years ago
    So who the hell are you tipping on a take-out order? It's like in the coffee shops with the tip jar strategically placed on top of the register. Do you really expect me to tip for someone handing me a cup?
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    In places like Chilli's and Outback and I assume others, they have a separate group of people who just do takeout. As I understand it, they have other tasks in addition to taking the orders and getting the food together.

• georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    I tip at the local Starbucks. Mostly because they start making my drink as soon as I walk in the door. And because the "barista" who is generally the one making it is pretty hot and sometimes complaining about money problems. :)
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    Has anyone ordered carry out from a strip club before? Some of them have good food and late hours.
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    I know Kahoots in Columbus has "to go" boxes for after you are done eating. While the other strip clubs in town are too cheap to have them. I once asked for a to go box at Sirens and she looked at me like I was crazy and then went back and checked and told me they did not have any.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I saw in a strip club, Tipping is not a city in China. I thought maybe they meant Teping. typos everywhere. No one left any tips in the Teping misspelled jar. I gave my tips to the nude dancers.
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    Learn from celebrities never tip more than $2
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Moto, I'm like you, I overtip. That being said, I never heard of tipping on take-out. I would, I guess but the idea never even crossed my mind.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    Waffle House requires a 10% tip on takeout orders...
  • GoVikings
    11 years ago
    I don't ever tip for take out orders. But I always tip in any situation that I'm being served.

Bree's shouldn't be surprised by the reaction this story got when he's making 25mil in one damn season

• Experimental
    11 years ago
    If I go to the restaurant to pick up takeout, I am not tipping. I shouldn't be expected to either, that shit is ridiculous.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Let 'em *try* to "require" a fucking tip from me.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Good ole Swarzennegger was a cheap tipper.
  • zipman68
    11 years ago
    @GSB... Waffle House requires a 10% tip for take out. That is seriously fucked up. I mean what kind o freak does take out from the Waffle House?
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    zipman68 - Actually Waffle Houses do a good take out business. It is not as fast as McDonalds but the food is better and they are faster than IHOP. I rarely stop into one and do not see some one picking up something.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    "Does anyone tip on takeout?"

For Food? No.

Sex? Yes.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Mr Kat,

I wish I lived in your neck of the woods. When I drive I-75 to Florida, I think there is almost a Waffle House at every exit from Atlanta to Tampa.

I adore their hash browns. And they cook breakfast all day. On one trip I ate 3 straight meals at Waffle House. Same order each time. Two eggs over easy. Double hash browns. Side of sausage. Wheat toast.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    motorhead - There are two when I live and that's 12 miles from an interstate. I go for the ham, cheese & jalapeno omelet with bacon, hash browns and toast. Actually the last time I went for lunch, I got a cheese burger that was not only better tasting than a big mac, it was cheaper. Who knew?
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I've never had anything other than breakfast food. Even when I stop for lunch or dinner I get breakfast.

I've seen them as far north as southern Indiana and Ohio but that's about the northern boundary I think
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Motorhead - You need to drive to Toledo for breakfast. I guess grits don't do too well further north. LOL.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion