tuscl

OT:Cars Again

I was reading that thread about what you drive and got to thinking. Growing up, did you come from a station wagon family or a van family? I come from a van family. VW Bus, VW Vanagon, and a Dodge Van. Only the white Bronco wasn't a van. Pre-OJ.
I wonder if being from a station wagon family or being from a van family influences one at all and what differences there might be. Anyone?

23 comments

• mikeya02
    11 years ago
    Grew up with a Rambler Rebel station wagon. Don't remember families using vans for outings that much.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Only one sister so we always had cars.

My dad had a 1971 Cutlass Supreme with a small block 350 V-8 that I got to drive when I got my license. My favorite car ever. Good ole American muscle with rear wheel drive. It was a bitch to drive in the snow but it was fast compared to the VWs I had later in college. Olds offered a 455 Rocket V8 that I would have loved to drive.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    You want me to touch this one?
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    '71 Cutlass, that's bad ass.
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    My family had the minivan. That's super sexy right? It did come in handy tho bc we could take out the middle row of seats to have extra leg room for the 13 hour nonstop trips down the FL keys to go diving.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    My family had a woody. Maybe that explains something. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrMOCzKVn…
  • goodsouthernboy
    11 years ago
    Lol at shadowcat.
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    How about a 39 Packard, then a 48 Buick, followed by a 56 Volkswagen. I wish I'd had a woody.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Neither. Tractors and pick-ups. I can remember riding into town with my dad on the tractor. That was rare; usually he bundled my sister, my youngest brother, and mom into the front of the pick-up, with we other three boys in the box. First pick-up that I remember was a 1948 F-1.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I learned how to drive in my uncles 1970-something pick-up. It was three-on-tree and was a pain. Kids these days don't learn like that anymore. Did I just say, "kids these days"?
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Station wagons.
  • londonguy
    11 years ago
    Parents always had Fords until old man changed to Mercedes.
  • lenimph
    11 years ago
    Van family.

Town and Country is my current ride... orz
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Family Truckster
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    OK Rusty. Your mom was a MILF. :)
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Mostly Buicks and Oldsmobiles. They usually were top of the line ones. For work, my dad also had a '63 Rambler station wagon, flathead six with three on the column. I learned to drive in that Rambler. He let me trade it in during '67 for my first new car.
  • MojoDojo
    11 years ago
    I'm a byproduct of the free love generation. My mom was a hippy and my old man was an Outlaw biker so I grew up on the back of a hog and in the back of a VW Microbus until the 70's when we traded up to a custom Dodge Tradesman van with a tricked out interior and fucking blown out 400 ci big block V8 power plant. My dad had a custom paint job including a mural painted on both sides and it had dual side pipes attached to its tuned exhaust so it growled like a fucking tiger in heat when he punched it. We used to get stares from folks all the time when we drove it around town and eventually it became mine when I was in high school. In 1980 while I was in college they went back to riding a hog and took off back across the country to head to Cali where we were from.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I had two VWs in college. VWs were notorious for rust (at least in the snowbelt). My first one had parts held together with duct tape. Lots of duct tape.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    My father had a truck at one point, then multiple cars.
    My mother had the station wagon that starred in the movie Polterguiest. Not the exact same car but same model.
  • mmdv26
    11 years ago
    I drove a 1949 Chevy pick-up in high school. Straight six, mis-matched 3-speed on the column with 1ton axle meant for high rpm's at 45mph. Top speed 50-55. Only p/u in h.s., so cheerleaders would hop in box after football practice and I would drop them off at their homes. Great times!
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    The first car I remember my parents having was an AMC Hornet, but after that, it was station wagons all the way. The odd thing now is that they now drive a van, but that has a lot to do with mom's volunteer work.
  • vincemichaels
    11 years ago
    Station wagons.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Pickup trucks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion