tuscl

Road Kill- Bullwinkle take note

Okay, expanding on the OTC MOOSE OR SQUIRREL question.

I notice in my woodland Michigan town that squirrel are probably the most predominant roadkill out there, although woodchuck rabbit and skunk seem to be on the hit parade as well (pun intended)

Moose on the other hand have been known to total semi tractors and even railroad locomotives when struck.
Don't believe me, check it out on snopes.com Haven't seem many Moose laying all bloody by the pavement either.

8 comments

• shadowcat
    11 years ago
    In my neck of the woods, its a toss up between squirrel, opossum & deer.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    Small and slower is what I see the most, possum and raccoon.
  • farmerart
    11 years ago
    Living and working where I do I see so much roadkill that I no longer really take note of it.

Year round #1 - Porcupines
    " " #2 - Mule Deer
    Summertime - Gophers

The mulies seem to be particularly stupid. Don't see any where near as many whitetails and I have never seen a pronghorn even though there is a large pronghorn population in Alberta.

• motorhead
    11 years ago
    For 25 years now, I've been driving home from strip clubs in the wee hours of morning. I have no idea how I've been fortunate enough to avoid hitting a deer. Have come mighty close many times.
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    No moose. I've had plenty of close encounters with deer in states from Pennsylvania to Texas. When I lived in San Antonio, herds of whitetail and axis deer roamed my gated community. On one rainy, misty morning a stupid deer ran into the side of my car but did not do any damage.
  • DandyDan
    11 years ago
    Never seen a moose except at a zoo. I've seen numerous squirrels and rabbits and possums and skunks as roadkill. Deer are a real problem for me when I go out to clubs because the only roads to any of the clubs I go to or went to go by or parallel rivers, and they were a real problem the two times I hit them. One was half a mile from the club, which really sucked, because I was suddenly in no mood to visit the club and basically had to drive all the way back home. At least that time, all it did was take out my driver's side mirror. The second time was on the way home and it just magically appeared out of the woods off to the side of the road, and I had to have some serious body work and a new radiator as a result. The part that was weird about that was I got out, looked for the animal, and it wasn't in the road and I didn't want to go looking in the ditch.
  • Tiredtraveler
    11 years ago
    In the Midwest White Tail Deer are a big problem. I see as many of those on the road as almost any other road kill.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    On the 15 fwy, around San Diego, you always gotta be on the lookout for feral Mexicans. They're pretty quick. Even the juveniles.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion