tuscl

Losing my edge ... and LIKING it! ... mostly ...

Book Guy
I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
Hi guys, just thought I'd post something that's more of a "journal entry" than a discussion post, but you might find some of these thoughts interesting anyway. Your thoughts are always welcome. Unless of course you're one of the psycho dudes who's already on my "ignore" list, in which case, GO AHEAD and flame, I won't see your post anyway!

So, y'all who remember me know that I've been doing what I call "mongering" for about twenty years. I first began to be a regular strip-club attender back in the early 1990s, when I lived in Toronto. I discovered, among other distractions, the amazing brothel-plus-strip-club that was Fantasia in the suburb of Richmond Hill, and thereafter followed a decade and a half of wandering about the continent looking for things that compared. Never really got any experiences that totally matched up to that level of excitement. I've posted a thousand times, on a thousand boards, about a thousand ideas related to sexuality and my drive to get it. It's been running my life, but not in a bad way. Here's what I mean.

Mostly I'm just a horny regular dude, nothing out of the ordinary, wouldn't say I'm "sexually addicted" since I don't actually experience serious detriment to central areas of my life or work as a trade-off for my sexual escapades. For example, during the times that I didn't have money for mongering, I simply didn't monger. I'd skip strip clubs, save up, attend another venue that cost less, just "use" the internet for what it was meant to be used for, that sort of thing. At one stage I scheduled a "monger's trip" to Houston, solely to get my bone in Houston high-service clubs. At another stage went to Amsterdam and really went hog-wild with the window-girls, by my reckoning an average of four a week for about four weeks ... but that's not really a LOT of sessions with prostitutes, relative to what some guys report on Amsterdam-specific boards. So I didn't really think of myself as someone who "had a problem," and I still don't. I never lost a job merely because I was out late mongering; I never went bankrupt or got arrested or got an STD (that I know of! in fact, the only STD symptoms I've ever experienced were given to me by a civilian regular girlfriend who was not a particularly sexually active person, and not given to me by any professional). But I also always wondered, wow wouldn't it have been nice to have saved a lot of this money and put it into my 401K and yet still have had an enjoyable life?

I mean, I didn't actually REGRET spending the money. But I also wasn't PROUD of it, and I certainly didn't tell the rest of the world. My co-workers and family (parents, siblings, cousins; I have no spouse or children, never been married) has no clue, I hope, that I screw prostitutes as essentially my only sexual outlet, or that I attend strip clubs in low-key or high-key party atmosphere as essentially my only social outlet. It was just weird and I knew it. I mongered on my own, with a "regular" strip club in whatever city I happened to live in, with a generally comfortable but "needy" attitude toward it. And I kept thinking, something tantamount to, the idea that I would NOT monger if I didn't "have to" merely in order to get my hands on attractive women.

I had always convinced myself (wrongly? or rightly? doesn't matter, I was convinced) that I was utterly undesirable to women, and that the hottest women were more interested in jerking my chain and making me feel miserable than in getting together for "legitimate" sexual and romantic liaisons. I basically just had the ASSUMPTION that I was inherently a pathetic loser. I had read up on the pick-up boards that you can change this assumption and that you can start to "work" your way into a different social circle, but I had known about those boards since about 1999 and yet hadn't ever seen much positive result in my life. I tried half-heartedly to become a "PUA" or to fuck strippers or to never go to strip clubs again or to not care whether I went to strip clubs or ... whatever the "solution" of the month was.

Well, I've had two or three major changes in my life in the last five years, or so, that have really knocked a dent in my mongering. I no longer "need" to monger the way I used to. I notice that my "need" is diminished in other capacities in my life, too. For instance, when I drink alcohol, I no longer "need" to consume LOTS of alcohol to the point of obliteration. Previously, I was somehow "letting myself down" if I stopped imbibing, or otherwise let my foot off of the throttle. I felt like I had to "push it to the max" every time. Now, afterwards, I feel more like, if I want one drink, I'll have one drink, but that having several is kind of boring. And that's how I feel about lap-dances and about mongering in general, too.

This change has at least one major advantage. That is, that I'm building a more "normal" (what IS "normal" anyway?) and "legitimate" social circle. I have friends I spend time with on weekends. I know about their wives, husbands, kids. I help walk their dog when they go out of town. I visit their place off-the-cuff if I'm doing a weekend errand in their neighborhood. I had thought that I didn't have a "sex addiction" problem (and, can one really be "addicted" to sex? I think that's a problematic concept in the first place), but the reason I thought I didn't have a problem was, that I saw that my mongering wasn't really impacting my work or my bank account or my family relationships at all. I didn't argue with mom, or steal the family TV to cover my gambling debts, or take addictive substances (aside from, maybe, ahem, alcohol and tobacco), and certainly no illegal activity with drugs and money. The illegality was limited to the most "victimless" prostitution I could engage in, stuff that might theoretically still have an economic or social "victim" in the sense that the feminists would suggest if they were anti-prostitution feminists but which, to me, really was win-win for the male and the female, for me and the provider. But, what I hadn't realized was, mongering was taking a toll on my RELATIONSHIPS. Like, I didn't get hot girls to date me.

Like, that IS the point of mongering, for me. Hot girls. I know a lot of guys who date some hot girls, then go to strip clubs anyway. I know guys who enjoy sex with their hot girlfriends but also try to get laid at strip clubs and sometimes get the rub-and-tug at the Asian massage parlor anyway. I wasn't like that. To me, mongering, with Asian massage or internet call-girls or just at a strip club (technically maybe lap-dances aren't really "wh*&e-mongering" but I use the word "monger" to include lappers, just as an easy short hand), all those things that I did, were all about REPLACEMENT sexuality. Couldn't get it in real life, therefore "had to" or "was forced to" or "am required to" go get it for money.

Oh, by the way, I know I know, sometimes the sex you get for money costs a lot less than the sex you get for free. No debate from me on that one. :) Not arguing the contrary. Just tellin' my own tale.

So there I was, going to strip clubs and thinking, gosh, wouldn't it be nice if I could DATE a girl who looks as good as that girl there. And gosh, maybe THAT one who is so nice to me, maybe she REALLY likes me. Pathetic loser, right? I knew it was a vain and stupid fantasy and that, even if there was the off-chance that a girl and I "hit it off," there were still a thousand other hurdles to cross -- the difference between her and my socio-economic and educational backgrounds, her drug habits, her druggy-habit-y friends and co-workers, the fact that her getting with me means losing me as a customer, etc. etc.. I never really harbored belief that the fantasy would come true. But it was the only avenue to a "real connection" that I had.

And that's kind of sad. I know guys who go to strip clubs with their male friends, and male-bond over beers, and also enjoy the women. I am not one of those guys. I know guys who know the dancers because they went to high school with them, and sometimes work at the clubs, and sometimes after-party with the girls and even if they don't fuck the strippers in particular they tend to be dating the strippers' friends who, gee what a surprise, are also young and quasi-hot women. I am not one of those guys. I know a few very happy married men who attend strip clubs to make up for their wives' detrimental ageing bodies. I am not one of those guys. I know of men who are BALANCED about their use of mongering, who integrate it into an otherwise NON-needy life, in a sane way. It turns out, I wasn't one of those guys either.

So what the hell happened? What changed? Why don't I "need" to monger anymore? And really, I don't even "enjoy" lappers the way I used to. In the last half-year or year, I can see that I have basically gotten to where one stripper is just another stripper, and no matter how great she smells or looks or hits me in the solar plexus with her physical perfection, it's just a physical response. I haven't even really gotten hard-ons recently when watching stage dances, and yes there were some awesome stage-dances that I recently watched. I think so much more of myself now, than as someone who is controlled by his desires. My "neediness" has just evaporated.

I have two answers to why.

One is, a beneficial change of career. I am no longer "nobody." I don't know, exactly, when "nobody" status descended onto me -- I can look back on my self-perceptions basically back to mid-teens (I'm mid-forties now) and what I see is, that during high school I thought I was the total Shit and yes I was. I dated the girl who, a few years later, would be our school's homecoming queen, she looked hot, we made out. And then later, when I look back on a later time in my life, what I see is, that I was the total Loser and yes I was. I didn't date anybody, didn't know how, just "knew" that the girls were going to diss on me and treat me awful, wondered why I never met attractive women, wondered why I hated my job, why did I have to TRY so goddamned hard to get ahead in this world. My attitude toward myself changed. I don't know why or when. Maybe I need to figure that out?

Here's the metaphor: ya know, everybody has some work-loads at some times of the year that are just TOO MUCH to get accomplished. Well, some people go to their boss and say, "Man, you assigned me tons o' shit, I don't think I can do it all, I mean I WANT to and I certainly will do what I can over this weekend but at some point it's not all going to get done and so we need to plan on figuring out how to fix that so it DOES get done ... blah blah." And boss says, "Oh, OK, let's see what we can reassign, let's get you an assistant or some intern for this or that routine task, let's reconsider, or at least let's look at it and figure out why you find it so hard because your predecessors have been able to do it all." But me, I say the SAME DAMN THING to my boss, and boss just says, "Yeah, loser, I didn't think you'd ever get it all done. You know, nobody on the planet is as lazy as you." I wonder why my impact on my boss has always seemed to be so detrimental even though I was presenting to him or her the same information that, in the mouths of other people, was instead beneficial to them and their relationship with boss. Why was it SO DIFFICULT to get ahead?

So, I leapfrogged. I got a law degree. I know, being a pussy-whipped little whelp junior associate at a big firm who's nevertheless in his mid-forties is probably bottom-of-the-totem-pole experience. But for me, first, I'm not going to a big firm to be pussy-whipped. Much more than ever before, I run my own life. I choose where in the market to insert my skills and I try to make a profit off of them. I'm WANTED by my society, at least a little bit. Rather than "yet another" dude with an excellent education (my school was in the top 5 of the nation, this year, in Chronicle of Higher Ed) and "yet another" English Master's Degree from an Ivy League graduate institution ... and making less than $20K a year ... suddenly I VALUED myself because PEOPLE AROUND ME weren't just treating me like "yet another." I had no idea this would come about! I didn't want to be "impressive" when I decided I wanted a law degree. I wanted to know about how to fix my home town's legal problems (New Orleans post-Katrina). I wanted a chance to make some more money (hahah, who knew the legal market was going to bottom out!). But instead I learned, that when other people approve of you rather than just ignore you, that you suddenly don't feel invisible any more. (BTW, I think I know what middle-aged women who lose their visual luster mean, when they say they "feel invisible." I compare that, to where I was at BEFORE my law degree.)

Second, aside from the law degree and better career opportunities, there's the other thing. I got diagnosed. Doctors call it a bunch of things -- ADD, ADHD, head trauma, variety seeker syndrome, etc. etc.. Basically, I'm not very good at OTHER people's office systems. I like running MY OWN office, my OWN relationships. I can't integrate into a system that someone else has set up. Not, because I'm stupid and inept -- which is the usual assumption at a workplace, if you can't recall that you have to FILE as well as DUPLICATE the TRS report. Instead, it's because I need to see the big picture to UNDERSTAND the system before I can remember it. I need to have overarching instruction, not minute. So, at least now I know what to look for, if ever I try to integrate myself into someone else's system again. Look for a boss who doesn't want me to disappear into the one-cog-in-a-machine system, if I can find him or her. Or, if i can't find him or her, then, at least admit to myself, that it's not MY FAULT that "it's so much harder" for me. I just have an essential make-up that doesn't work in their system. I don't need to keep trying harder and harder. That won't help, it'll just frustrate me.

Frustrated, was who I was. I was frustrated that I couldn't get the girls, so I went to the strip clubs. Which frustrated me even more. I was frustrated that I couldn't get ahead at work, so I tried even harder at work. Which frustrated me even more. Diagnosis told me, "Hey, dude, you need to DEFUSE your frustration, not CLAMP DOWN on it." I needed to lift the lid off the pressure cooker, not seal it even tighter onto the boiling kettle. And I needed to take drugs.

Dude, drugs work. I love my Prozac. My frustration is piffled away. I notice when hot-enough chicks notice me. I flirt. Something might happen. I see subtle interactions at the strip club that I didn't see before. I notice when I'm worrying some hyper-sensitive stripper chick (and I decide whether or not to bother to stop worrying her), I notice when I piss off the bartender (they used to just get huffy for what was, to me, absolutely NO apparent reason at all). I can do social interaction. Maybe I can get a hot girl.

I have so many advantages. Solvent, running my own (not very profitable) small business. With advanced degrees. With a great supportive family network that will bankroll my business for a little while. With no kids, no lame-ass fat middle-aged middle-American wife who whines at me. With free time to run the business, WHICH I DAMN-WELL ENJOY DOING! I like Quickbooks. I like Practice Management software. I really like finding clients! Advertising and self-marketing is, uh, FUN, believe it or not! And I have the chance to actually enjoy some shit for a while. I'm not "needy" for the things that I used to "have to have," not half as much as before. Prozac, Valium, Adderal, Ritalin, Lithium all those other things ... well, some are just crazy shit. But for me, one or another of them has helped with the defusing of frustration.

So, why do I write all this? Hell, I dunno. I think it's a great development for me. It's been going on for a little while and I've shared some of it, and there's really nowhere else that I can post stuff like this. I mean, you don't call up Oprah and say, "I used to fuck four Amsterdam prostitutes a week and now I don't even want to go to a strip club because I find that TRYING to pick up a hot girl at a law-school mixer is MORE fun!" You wouldn't want your mom to see you say that on TV. :)

I wonder if it will stick. I wonder if it's all just the drugs. I wonder if it's maybe that I'm getting older, and a little fatter. Gaining weight has helped reduce the libido for a lot of things, sex and "excitement." I like being "normal" fat. It's only about ten "vanity" pounds extra, invisible if I'm in a business suit (though I'm not aerobically healthy at all). What I wonder is, where is my "drive"? I never used to be overweight because I was frustrated all the time, frustrated that my 10K run time was too high, so I was always pushing pushing. Frustrated that I didn't have the big biceps that I wanted. Frustrated that even though I did tons of bicep curls, I didn't GET the big biceps that I wanted. Frustrated that chicks didn't like my biceps. Now I just figure, hey, some chicks go for biceps, but some chicks go for lawyers regardless of bicep size. I'll find some of THOSE chicks. But I have no oomph, no "edge," no get-up-and-go for it. The Prozac regimen has reduced my "neediness" and that's good, because it means I have faded out of the interest in mongering, and out of the interest in alcohol binge-drinking. But it also reduced my "neediness" to succeed at ... well ... anything.

I took the lotos. And I like it. :P

24 comments

• Dougster
    12 years ago
    Holy fuck! Anyone able to wade through the latest post by this windbag and post the tl;dr version?
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    After reading 3 paragraphs, I have deceided to wait until the movie comes out. :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    I made an effort and got half way thru it b/f I almost passed out – but I did try.

Maybe there will be a cliff notes version.
  • JuiceBox69
    12 years ago
    I'm proud of your new found happiness I just hope I never find into this.....
  • minnow
    12 years ago
    Welcome back, Book Guy. A few things...

1) You should consider changing your handle to "Trilogy Novel Guy", or "Manifesto Guy".

2) Devoting more time and energy to a life transition change shuffles prior hobbies to the backburner. A natural progression.

3) Minnows "Cliff Notes" on manifesto: Book Guy feels a less urgent need to go to strip clubs than he did up to a few years ago. He just felt the need to describe his journey in great detail, to include the myriad of reasons why certain setbacks/frustrations in life drove him to more urgently seek out stripclubs in his younger days.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Actually a pretty good read. Though I did fast-forward thru a few parts.

I can certainly relate to some of what you said. I think most of us can.

Why don't you call a PA at the Dr. Phil show. Your story is a helluva lot more interesting that hearing a drunk Dina Lohan babble on.

• Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    ^^^ Oh! That’s what he meant :)
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    Oy vey! I read the entire thing. Not to belittle Book Guy's life but my observation is that things only started to get better for him when he got proactive and decided to get his head out of his ass and do what he really wanted and not what he thought was expected from him. All that Prozac, Ritalin, Valium, etc. did not help matters.

Really, it is a rather banal story. just another variation of the mid-life crisis thing.

I am glad that I learned speed reading techniques years ago.

I hope that you are now able to get on with a more productive life, Book Guy.
  • mrrock
    12 years ago
    Yeah sorry I didn't finish either got bored around the spot about him becoming a lawyer. Didn't expect a manifesto!
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    Well I made it through, though I did skim the last paragraph or two.

I'd say "congrats" but I'm not sure you're really that happy? Though I'm glad you've moved past your issues with alcohol. That part is undeniably positive.

I also agree that when this hobby (that's what I think it should be, a hobby) becomes a total replacement for social/physical/emotional contact then yeah, it is an issue.
  • mmdv26
    12 years ago
    You probably feel a whole lot better now that you have "let all this out" with this writing. We obsessive/compulsive types must do this now and then in order to justify the time and money spent to support habits and hobbies.
  • snowtime
    12 years ago
    I read and enjoyed the whole post. Definately the longest one I have evder seen on this site. Don't know if Founder has a way of checking out the length of comments, but I do think you set a record.
    I do think a lot of us can identify with many of your issues. I congratulate you on your positive outlook and wish you the best in your new career and social setting. Your strip club reviews were always inciteful and I, for one, will miss them.
  • looneylarry
    12 years ago
    Well, it didn't take me *that* long to read it. It was lengthy, and pretty abstruse, and a little self-congratulatory. But I think I can understand some basic points and, believe it or not, relate to it all. Book Guy tries wrestling with a fairly common state, at least to the horn-dogs that lurk here: how to explain that need to have hot young girls crawl on you and give the appearance of desiring you?

But we shouldn't kid ourselves at all. There would be very little reason a smoking hot 25-year-old babe would want to have anything to do with a 60-year-old guy with a paunch, other than the promise of regular income. We can delude ourselves all we want, but that's the bottom-line. I have reconciled myself to that reality. So clubbing for me is nothing but theater, pure and simple. Any time I think it might not be, I get another jolt, a cruel reminder of how foolish I can be.

I think once you understand this and realize that the high levels of testosterone that once surged through your body have dropped off, you start to realize that nature front-loaded this virility thing. We snicker at the aging beauty queen who is trying to find the right combination of "beauty products" to prolong her youth. But the ED drugs are ours. And before they were invented, it was Corvettes. I'm not bitter about it. I just understand it. And the fact that (once in a while) I might now choose to take a walk on the beach and savor life over spending a couple hours in a smoky club dealing with surly waitresses and scamming dancers doesn't mean I'm a pussy.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Wow! More genius comments from the jestie-girl. Cutting back on continual excessive drinking is good. You would think that was to obvious to mention, but I guess the jestie-girl didn't think so.
  • Dougster
    12 years ago
    Read the article based on the positive reviews. It was decent. Might be the first decen thing BG ever wrote. Guess that's the meds at work. Good see someone with some self-awareness and candor versus the usual "I am a stud who pays and a nice guy who respects and helps out the whores".

I do find it hard to believe however that if he was making $20k a year and mongering that much it was having a negative impact on his bank account. Hint, you are supposed to save. Definition must be a bit weak - not wracking up huge debt = doing okay?

• jackslash
    12 years ago
    I skimmed parts of this long post but I think it has some good things in it. I respect Book Guy for revealing so much of his life, the good and the bad, to us. As an audience, we can be pretty brutal and sarcastic.

Like BG, I go to strip clubs for the hot girls, and I don't think liking hot girls needs any justification. I also at times feel I should be investing the tons of cash I spend in strip clubs, but I invested money when I was younger. Now that I'm over 60 I want to enjoy life.

I'm glad BG has improved his life through a new carer and medication. It seems probable that the medication has a lot to do with his reduced desire for strip clubbing. But if he's happy, that's all that matters.

• cnyknight
    12 years ago
    Is there a record for longest post?
  • Book Guy
    12 years ago
    But wait, there's more! Heh. Minnow can write the Cliffs Note.

Thanks to all who posted intelligent replies. I guess I should be a little sorry I wrote such a long post (a statement about its surprising length is the most common response thus far) but I did fore-warn ya right in the top paragraph that it was pretty much a "journal entry" so it's not like I'm going to lose sleep over your sunk cost in reading effort and time. :)

Interesting that some responses suggest essentially opposite interpretations of the reasons behind my positive experiences. Some posts say, that my present positive attitude is probably due to the fact of my having taken control of my life, done something pro-active, and that my prescription drug regimen has little to do with any real success. Other posts say almost the opposite, giving the drugs greater credit.

I credit the drugs more. From the inside of the experience it feels like it's almost ALL due to the drugs. Pro-activity alone hasn't ever done the trick. In the past, I have taken other pro-active, positive steps in my life, but they never "took hold" or really "got purchase" the way this one has. My frustration with the failures of those past attempts was, ironically, probably the same old frustration that I had been trying to get away from in the first place. It's a hallmark of the ADHD sufferer (so say my shrinks, at least) that he would feel that he has to "try harder" at EVERYTHING he does, including to "try harder" at improving his life such that he doesn't have to try harder at life any more. It's a vicious cycle.

I did experience that, definitely. The little stories, in all my self-help ADHD books, about people who solved this, fixed that, or didn't fix the other, are all little stories about people who resemble me very much, and the "try harder to no avail" syndrome is certainly something that all those characters share with me.

Not to say that nowadays I'm amazingly successful. Heck no! I'm probably only as equally insolvent as I ever was. But I LIKE the experience better. I live THROUGH it. It's a hard to thing to explain. It's like, there's the lap-dance that is annoyingly frustrating, in which the girl is always just a half-millimeter away from what you desperately crave, and all you can think about is how bad a job she is doing at not getting you off. Then, there's the other lap-dance, that is wonderfully titillating and exciting, because the girl is always a mere half-millimeter away from what you desperately crave, and all you think is, wow what a great experience. They could be the same dancer! The same dance! So if you don't have any control over what the other person actually chooses to do, the least you can do is learn to enjoy it rather than be frustrated by it.

And I also don't necessarily think this is a permanent change. I know I lauded myself a lot in that first post, saying how great I am at life-change and all. (It's like, I'm the next damn self-actualization guru! I'm as good as Tony Robbins! I'll sell "Book Guy Power" tapes!) I didn't mean to come off that way. I just meant to say, that THIS change seems to be a REAL one, whereas previously all I ever managed to experience was fleeting false hopes. Chronologically, I'm now in this one's duration at about six months or a year, maybe two years ago I had hints of it, and it's just moving forward at a decent pace, getting more and more easy to "defuse" my frustration. I don't have to "force" it. I'm not "working" my attitude, not having to "try harder" to have a good attitude. That's new and slowly building, more reliably than any other change before.

It might not last. I might find that I don't have the capacity to stick with it. I might learn that I miss the strip-clubs. Or maybe something negative might happen in my life, kick me back into my old rut, at which point some of the oldest and longest-established habits would simply fade back into my preferences. I wouldn't hate it, if I could enjoy strip-clubs without the great overwhelming neediness and compulsion. But if the feelings of compulsion, desperation, and frustration come back, then I think I know that I would be unhappy whether I went to the strip-club and did or didn't get what I wanted, or whether I managed to resist going mongering at all. It's not about whether or not I go; it's about what I feel like before I go.

I haven't decided to go cold-turkey on strip clubs, not at all. I haven't decided to stop enjoying them. I've just lost my INTEREST in enjoying them. The answer to the question, "Do you really feel like going to a strip club tonight, Book Guy?" is, "Meh, maybe, wuddever, I'm not too keen on the idea. We can if ya want." So, I don't mean to say, "I hereby CHOOSE not to go and now enforce that concept upon myself." Rather, I mean to say, "For some reason, some thing inside me no longer causes me to choose to go." So then, since I don't have the desire, I also have no need to slake that desire with whatever concoction of titties and Jaegermeister might previously have been necessary.

I feel kind of worried that I'm in a "manic" phase, in a manic-depressive cycle. But the shrinks assure me that's not the case. I try to be as honest with them as I can. They say I don't have the right signals and symptoms for manic-depression. It's not even compulsion or OCD, they say. I guess I have to trust them.

I also feel like I need to say, just for the benefit of the board (if anyone's reading this far, duh ...), that I don't disapprove of anyone else's choices. In my first post there was a whole paragraph of examples of different types of people who seemed, to me, to be able to integrate strip-clubbing into their lives in a balanced way. I kind of envy those people. For example, they male-bond at a strip club, which means (among other things) they're male-bonding successfully. Nice to have friends. :) Me, I'd LOVE to be able to use mongering in that kind of balanced way. But that was never me. I didn't have "normal" interactions, only desperately needy ones. Thus, my opinion of those other guys, and their strip-clubbing? It's all positive! I "get" what they're doing in there, I'm a damned expert strip-club client, I know how to operate in the typical North American lap-dance parlor! I can't possibly disapprove!

Nor do I wish to suggest that anyone should try to follow my path along the law-school or Prozac lines. Those solutions (if they are solutions at all) were for me. I'm glad I found them for me, but if you've got your issues, then you need to find what's for you.

I really identify with Loony Larry's comments. His clear indication of what he sees as "the way it is," something to identify and describe but not something to whine or complain about, is really a clear-eyed view of the world. I have always intellectually grasped his concept, that hot young chicks would NOT want an oldster like me to paw their tits, except for the money. Intellectually, I knew that. But this fact of understanding it, didn't make my life better. It just frustrated me. Now, I have a different response to that knowledge. Now, knowing the "dirty secret" behind the fantasy just lets me unravel the knot of tightness, dissolve the fantasy, no longer be tied up by it. It used to control and direct me. Now I feel, at least a little bit, like I can simply extricate myself from it and walk away; in fact, I feel like I never get ensnared by it in the first place.

Happy? Hmm. I'm kind of happy about it. Mostly I'm befuddled. It's all so new, and weird, and a bit unsettling. Taking pills every day reminds me of my grandfather. Stimulants, my heart races sometimes. My dick operates mildly differently during sex. I'm susceptible to sunburn. It's going to have to be a constant balancing act, this drug versus that drug, exercise but don't over-do it, don't exercise but don't hyper-focus, approve of strip-clubbing but don't obsessively attend strip clubs, etc. etc..

Finally, a comment to Framerart: though I disagree with you about whether or not the drugs were a prime motivating factor for me, I do totally agree. that it's really a rather banal story. I'm (of course) fascinated by my own navel, but the rest of you need not be. I'm just a typical mid-life change, not much more. It's not exactly, as you put it, a mid-life CRISIS, since I was in crisis since I was about 20 years old. The usual crisis trajectory would involve an accelerating descent, from balance or stasis down into upset or chaos, starting during mid-life and perhaps soon resolved during later mid-life. But for me, the descent was not during mid-life but rather MUCH earlier, during my formative years, adolescence or college; instead of being at balance but then descending initially during mid-life, I was already descended but now during mid-life have begun (I hope) to ascend. It's almost an inverse of the typical mid-life crisis, I think.

But yeah, we're all mid-life, aren't we? More's the pity. Female hotness just doesn't gravitate toward us middle-aged lifers the way we might wish for it to. :)
  • snowtime
    12 years ago
    Enjoyed part two, glad it was not quite as long as part one.

I think the overall response to your original post was very positive. I think what most of us were saying is that if your life is happier without the clubs, then we are happy for you. I don't think it is any secret that all of us who regularly go to strip clubs use them to fill some type of void in our lives. It seems that you no longer have that void, and, consequently no longer feel the need to go.

I am more than a little curious how you replace the pleasure that comes from pawing young girls' naked bodies. I am pretty sure that someone in their forties does not have that same opportunity without visiting strip clubs. I have been doing it for so long that I know, for me, it would be difficult to replace the instant gratification. Even if it is a fleeting feeling.
  • farmerart
    12 years ago
    This turned out to be a fascinating discussion - one of the appeals of tuscl for me.

Book Guy describes a life that is totally foreign to me. It is most interesting to compare his life to my own and ponder the reasons for the differences. The only common ground for us seems to be our shared interest in the SC world.

I know, intellectually, that people can have issues like those of Book Guy but viscerally, I just cannot comprehend. I suspect that Book Guy would look at my life in the same way.

Perhaps I really am the ill-educated hillbilly that I proudly claim (tongue in cheek) to be.
  • Book Guy
    12 years ago
    I don't think of Framerart as negatively as "ill-educated hillbilly" might imply, nor do I think he means it negatively. :)

Snowtime -- I don't "replace" the pleasure of pawing young girls' bodies with something else in my life. I just don't (presently) happen to WANT that pleasure at the moment. It doesn't feel like it's missing from my life, it just doesn't occur to me. At the moment ...
  • Book Guy
    12 years ago
    Still "on the wagon." The INTEREST in strip-clubbing is just not bubbling up inside me. Maybe it's because I'm suffering through the last stages of a head-cold. Hmm. Self-actualization, or human rhinovirus?
  • ralphyboy
    12 years ago
    there should be something of value for everyone to learn from BG's long and winding journey through compulsion, addiction, self-worth, and general floundering @ for a footing in this deranged ant-heap of selfishness and madness we call the world...it's only the courageous few who nakedly let their hair down that give us the opportunity to learn something...yes, it may be rambling, dis-jointed, self-indulgent and over the top, but it's real, personal and revelatory and all the cocky whippersnappers on board ignore the issues he elaborates at their own peril..our little hobby is as potent and destructive a force as any of the first tier drugs and mated with the wrong (ie weak and un-self-conscious) personality type has in fact destroyed countless bankrolls and lives..so it's nice to see BG back, who OUT of the scene is a thousand times more interesting than most mongers still IN the scene..with the notable exceptions of thoughtful contributors like messrs. looney and farmer..now, if we could just get the original, distinguished FONDL back in the fold...
  • Book Guy
    12 years ago
    Hey hey Ralphyboy, we do indeed miss our FONDLings! :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion