tuscl

Off topic, but...

Clubber
Florida
Monday, April 30, 2012 8:49 PM
shadowcat's topic, "Has Hollywood gone too far.", made me think. For all time, you get one choice, what movie would YOU watch. Remember, only ONE! I'll tell you mine later. No idea how many times I've seen it, but would watch right now if I had the time.

47 comments

• shadowcat
    12 years ago
    My ATF movie. [view link]
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    Casablanca. Saw it for the first time on the big screen twice in the past two months, sponsored by Turner Classic Movies, here in the Detroit area. The audience reactions to the well known lines enhanced the experience. WWII intrigue, romance, moral choices and witty dialouge make it a great movie. I did not know until I saw it last week on the big screen that Rick Blaine OKs a voucher--the first time we see him--dated 2 December 1941. The whole story is told just a week before Pearl Harbor. "It's December, 1941. What time is it in America. I bet they're asleep. I bet they're asleep all over the world."
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    That's EASY!!! GWTW - "Gone With The Wind" I've seen it 250+ times in my life.
  • ajvet
    12 years ago
    Shawshank Redemption
  • SnakePlissken
    12 years ago
    Escape From New York
  • rh48hr
    12 years ago
    It's hard for me to choose. I have two movies I will stop and watch anytime they are on. One is a comedy and one is a biography. If I only had one movie to watch for the rest of my life, I would take the comedy because laughter is the best medicine and that movie is "Coming to America". I can repeat just about every line in that movie and my impressions of the barber shop scenes are requested by my friends at parties all the time.
  • mal_hodgson
    12 years ago
    That is a tough one, but the first one that came to mind was Hitchcock's Rear Window, so I'll go with it.
  • TABB
    12 years ago
    Its hard to pick one because I'm a big movie lover. I'm going to pick a movie way before my time and it The Good, Bad and the Ugly!!! Followed closely by Bullet and mad Max.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    Goldfinger.
  • 23cambyman
    12 years ago
    Napoleon Dynamite!!
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    That's really tough. Unlike Alucard, there just isn't one that is a clear choice. But the three movies I will always watch if I see them on TV are North by Northwest, Jaws, and The Shawshank Redemption. North by Northwest
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Wizard of Oz. There's a cute redhead I'd get dances from in that one.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    Annie Hall. Certainly my favorite comedy. Others: Casablanca. I agree with SuperDude. Requiem for a Heavyweight. Great performances by Jackie Gleason, Anthony Quinn and Mickey Rooney. The ending of that movie will break your heart.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    Some surprising choices, at least to me. I will agree it is a tough call and there are great "got to see" films in each category, comedy, drama, horror, etc. Still interesting.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    ...so many when I think about it. Cool Hand Luke is another. The Flight of the Phoenix. The original with James Stewart not the crappy re-make
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    Animal House
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    The Godfather. The first one.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    Mine is a comedy with a mega number of stars in it. Old, of course. Any guess as to the title?
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Some Like it Hot? The Producers? The Three Stooges?
  • mikeya02
    12 years ago
    Dr. Strangelove? Young Frankenstein?
  • erieroamer
    12 years ago
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World?
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Clubber - I'm gonna take a shot "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    I agree ^^^^. Has to be a Mad World. Love it
  • 10inches
    12 years ago
    Godfather I or II but not the crappy III !!!
  • Tiredtraveler
    12 years ago
    To Catch a Thief- Cary Grant, Grace Kelley, Directed by Alfred Hitchcock or In Harm's Way- John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Directed Otto Preminger WWII epic Do you notice that there are almost no new movies.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    I've gotta add one more. I watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year. It is a tradition at my house.
  • newmark
    12 years ago
    The Green Mile
  • xedin5436
    12 years ago
    jackslash has a good pick with Annie Hall - a lot of Woody Allen's movies from the 70s are pretty much mulitple movies in one, so things like that would make for good repeated viewing. My personal preference would be Hannah and Her Sisters, though. However, I think my real pick would probably be Lebowski, or maybe The Longest Day. How The West Was Won would also be good for mulitple movies within one movie.
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Sasha Grey: Gagged and Bound I could watch that 24/7.
  • jc8891
    12 years ago
    I can always watch Slapshot.
  • HonestT
    12 years ago
    The Matrix (1999) 60+ full length viewings, 25+ highlight viewings
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    sc, erieroamer beat you out by one post. Amazing to me how many of the films listed are among my favorites.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    "Do you notice that there are almost no new movies" I certainly did! When will writers andrnerdtedrnerdted director truly understand what the audience wants - not give us what they THINK we want. I would rather watch 12 Angry Men a million times over rather than watch another special FX summer blockbuster with computer generated explosions.
  • mal_hodgson
    12 years ago
    I'm surprised someone didn't list Dracula AD 1972 :) Actually not a bad flick if you like Hammer films. A movie I just watched recently on TCM was "The Iron Rose" a quirky French horror film from the 70's. Not a great movie, but it has one of the sexiest actresses I've seen literally falling out of her blouse most of the film. it's rare, but you can stream it from Amazon if you want to check it out.
  • Dolfan
    12 years ago
    Scarface.
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    My favorite non-comedy, "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and not the BS remake!!! Some great choices here. Those I enjoy among those listed, in no particular order... Gone With The Wind Shawshank Redemption Goldfinger Animal House The Godfather The Green Mile Slapshot Others I really enjoy... Red Dawn Ghost Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, The Mummy (old B&W) Journey To The Center Of The Earth, and also not the BS remake! Time Machine, see above about remakes. Christine The Stand This could go on a long time...
  • likes2look
    12 years ago
    At the risk of piling on let me say Casablanca. In fact I am going to go get my DVD right now. If I had to pick something not already mentioned? I lean toward Dr. Strangelove but would pick A Christmas Story. I eagerly await the annual 24 hr showing each season on (I think) TBS.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail Blazing Saddles Weird Science One Million Years B.C. Wayne's World Austin Powers Star Wars Goodfella's As Good As it Gets Pulp Fiction Gladiator Perfect Storm There's Something About Mary Pirates of the Carribean Sherlock Holmes The Fighter The Departed The Hangover
  • jester214
    12 years ago
    I could never pick one... Goodfellas would be near the top. I can watch the first half of that movie all day long. The second half is good, just gets boring after repeated viewings.
  • rh48hr
    12 years ago
    Since others have added to their list, I will add some more of mine, some of which have already been listed. Most of these are not Oscar winners, but they entertain me every time I watch them. X Blazing Saddles Pulp Fiction Major League Bull Durham Dragnet (the comedy)
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    I know this was "only" made for Tv, but I never tire of Lonesome Dove. And I'm not an especially big fan of Westerns, but it may be one of the best things ever put on film.
  • brainiac
    12 years ago
    I agree with many of the above choices. In an effort to add something new, I'll choose my favorite films by some of my favorite directors. A Clockwork Orange Stanley Kubrick Crimes and Misdemeanors Woody Allen Network Sidney Lumet Three Days of the Condor Sydney Pollack
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    A lot of good ones I've left off my lists. When I opened this cupboard, I had no idea how many I didn't even think about. But, of these, there are still few I will make an effort to view, but rather if they are available, I watch.
  • magicrat
    12 years ago
    O Brother Where Art Thou The Birdcage
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Porky's
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Let's not forget the relatively unknown flick. " Clubber does Miami "
  • Clubber
    12 years ago
    vm, I thought that had been scrubbed from existence!!! Damn those Feds that can recover ANYTHING! :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion