tuscl

The French Maid - Calgary.......................RIP

I went to have lunch here today and find this old joint is shuttered. Lease expired in November and was not renewed; the whole block is slated for redevelopment. If I could be called a regular at any one club this would have been the club, 5 min from my company's offices, 3 blocks from my favourite greasy spoon in Chinatown, and 3 blocks the other way from my favourite steakhouse and business bar.

Don't get me wrong - this was a lousy expensive club with lame lappers from agency dancers but I had cultivated a tame waitress and she helped me scoop up the occasional piece of tasty crumpet for a romp in the Westin which was barely a block away. One of those ladies brought some drama into my life for the greater part of a year. All done now, but in a perverse way I miss it.

I worry about the street hookers, the cabbies, the hot dog cart guys, the roving flower salesmen, and all the others who fed off the French Maid clientele. The damn place was a 30 year institution in downtown Calgary.

9 comments

• Alucard
    13 years ago
    Time marches on ART. Oh well...
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Tabarnac. C'est la vie.
    13 years ago
    If the "Maid" is shuttered what will Calgary and it's million plus residents do for peeler clubs. I understand there are only 2 very lame clubs left on the outskirts.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Hell, farmerart, I feel your pain. One time I was in Calgary after a ski trip in the Bannf area, I stopped in at the French Maid and enjoyed the place. Cie la vie !
  • bobvz
    13 years ago
    The "Maid" is the only damn thing the French were ever good at.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    bobvz,

No way! They manufacture excellent white flags!
  • twin_flame
    13 years ago
    I went to the french maid over 10 years ago on a Monday night. It was my first SC experience and it turned me off completely. The dancer quality that night was poor (overweight and mature). I am also not a fan of the toonie toss and don't know why it attracts people. Having never been anywhere else, I thought this was how all SC's operated... (a little enthocentric on my part)

Boy was I wrong! I visited the rhino in vegas this fall as my second SC experience and it was quite a shock. I made some newbie mistakes and wish I would have known about tuscl sooner. I'm now living in the center of the universe and looking at visiting the trinity clubs in the near future.
  • bobvz
    13 years ago
    Haha Clubber..you are so right. How many times have we saved that country's ass.....damn French.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    Toast, fries, kisses, do they count?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion