tuscl

OT: Joe Pa

This is one of the stranger sagas in recent memory: one week he becomes the all-time winningest football coach, then the next week gets fired. Was the scandal tabled until he got the record?

17 comments

• Dudester
    13 years ago
    The abuse has actually been going on for quite some time. The arrest was just this past week. After that, it snowballed.
  • troop
    13 years ago
    he probably should have retired years ago but it's too bad that such a long career ended up like this.
  • Sowhatt
    13 years ago
    What's too bad, or worse, is that he KNEW via first hand reports from at least the graduate assistant (maybe others) about reports of child sexual abuse. And his response was the absolute bare minimum, report it up the chain of command. I cannot abide this kind of behaviour. Any smallest spark of soul within a decent human being would not permit this kind of behaviour to be swept under the rug under the guise of "what's best for the university". To me, this invalidates and blackmarks his whole career, which is tragic. Shame on him.
  • DandyDan
    13 years ago
    It's sad it ends like this for him, but on the other hand, he asked for it the moment he didn't call the police on Sandusky. BTW, Sandusky goes from Penn State to State Pen. One final note, which is it's amazing this is the week my Nebraska Husker team goes to Penn State. Will Penn State even bother to show up?
  • mikeya02
    13 years ago
    Good ol Joe just could'nt retire like a normal old man. Thought he was the shit. Now look at him. A creep.
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    Just read Schalbach's piece on ESPN.com where he mentions what actually happened. Yes, its really bad Sandusky was given an on-campus office and free use of campus facilities given what occurred when he should've been reported to the police.

Prior to reading Schalbach I had only been following the headlines... 46 years, 409 wins, and out asap. What a whirlwind.

What kind of civil suits and damages might Joe Pa face? Penn State? O-U-C-H.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    What was he thinking? Just let a child molester continue??? Good bye Paterno. See you on TV as a sports commentator. (:
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    He knew Sandusky for about 50 years. How could Joe not know or at least suspect it? I guess Joe was trying to protect a friend and will now sacrifice his reputation and job over it. The Hershey highway leads to State College.
  • mjx01
    13 years ago
    Sad. Sad for the victims. Sad for the colleratal damage.

How could there be this many failures?
    ~1998 investigation failed?
    JoePa failes to call police directly in 2002?
    Grad Assist didn't call police directly in 2002?
    Grad Assist stays with team for nine more years, WTF?
    Local DA Gricar closes his ~2002ish investigation? Then mysteriously disappears?
    Interm coach interviewed for other jobs before this season stareted?
    Early renewal deadline moved up to Nov 1?
    State DA announces charges during 'bye' week and after win 409?
    And who knows if there is more that isn't public?
    And this is all supposed to be conincidence?

How could one Jerry Sandusky cause this much damage?
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    Football "heros" are well known high school rapists and as adults, professional gun runners, drug addicts, dog fighters, etc. Strap on those tights boys and exaggerate your shoulders, theres folk out there who want to watch ya run around after each other and throw in some butt slapping too. What can be expected of the coaches?
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    mjx:Obviously so much damage out there because it isn't just Sandusky who "dropped the ball."
  • mjx01
    13 years ago
    deogol, agreed.
  • steve_ny
    13 years ago
    I suggested to a friend that we give Sandusky to the Taliban so we could at least watch the torture on the Internet...
  • Player11
    13 years ago
    You have to hand it to the guy surviving so many years there, I mean who makes it 60+ years with the same employer? Another example of how a non performance screwup can get someone fired. I wonder how he feels now about donating millions of dollars to the University.....I would not donate a dime to any employer.
  • wallanon
    13 years ago
    It's pretty clear what the favorite charity of most of the posters on this board is. At any rate Paterno's gotten off easy so far.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Rape and child molestation is underreported and covered up in religious institutions, the U.S. military and high school and college sports. The institution's image is more important than any individual. We must change this.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    This is serious shit. Makes the Ohio State tattoos-for-memorabilia scandal, or SMU paying its players, or hookers & strippers at "the U" all seem like child's play. Oops, pardon the pun.

And if what Pitt radio guy Mark Madden says about Sandusky "pimping out young boys to rich donors" turns out to be true....then, wow, right of the scripts of Law & Order: SVU.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion