tuscl

LAWS OF STRIPCLUB

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:55 AM
I don't understand different laws of stripclubs around the US.... For instance, clubs in VA by law are required to wear pasties, take tops off only, but doesn't serve hard liquor. In other states such as AZ you can show bare breasts and drink hard liquor. Other states soda, and get nude.... I don't get it? Why not have the same laws in all states?

25 comments

• Dougster
    13 years ago
    States rights. Government was never intended to have so much power to micro-manage what goes on in every state and make it uniform. Unfortunately it has evolved tht way over time. Minor differences like strip club laws are about all that remains.
  • dakka
    13 years ago
    America is a group of 50 individual governments, with one overarching government. Each state is independent of the others with their own constitutions and laws. The feds are primarily around to deal with international affairs and commerce that cross state laws. Since clubs are localized, there is no federal role in the regulations.
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    READ the Constitution. It has to do with Laws States can pass & what Laws the Federal Government can pass. There are other laws that probably apply, but I'm NO lawyer.
  • rell
    13 years ago
    ive only been to 1 club in va .. but if i were you depending how far you are make a trip to north carolina or maryland
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    What the Constitution says, these days, seems to be null and void!
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    Because all states have different beliefs. Even then, a state such as Arizona which is conservative leaning you can get decent two-way contact depending on the place and the dancer. There are instances of more liberal leaning areas where you can only get air dances. You have to be careful, if you make it the same all over the country, you up the chances everyone is getting air dances. If it becomes a national story, it is the perfect opportunity for all of the conservatives who would like to rid the country of everything sexual to get on TV and set up their own agenda to turn strip clubs all over the country, Detroit, Houston, COI (to name a few) into pastie, air dance clubs.
  • rickdugan
    13 years ago
    Veteran, I'm actually glad that the states retain the right to pass their own laws, or not as the case may be. It is bad enough that some states, like VA and MO, basically make clubbing almost pointless, but if the federal gov't was involved I have no doubt that, in a moralistic moment, they would fuck things up for us nationwide.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    I'll throw some more shit in the game. Even cities can pass more restrictive laws than the state they are in. Counties too.
  • dakka
    13 years ago
    rh48hr, Your view is way to simple for reality. Montgomery county in Maryland, which is one of the most liberal counties in the country has flat out banned all strip clubs.
  • Rod8432
    13 years ago
    I've noticed too that some areas where you'd think they'd be quite liberal (e.g., DC, CA, and NY), they actually have some of the lamest SCs. Other areas which are more conservative (IN, FL, and TX) have some great clubs, with lots more 2-way contact, lower prices, and amenability for extras. I still don't get it, but I'm done with most of the big town/big name clubs. I stick to the smaller 2nd or 3rd tier cities/clubs.
  • txtittyfan
    13 years ago
    It is the dancer's interpretation and willingness to comply with the law that is most important.
  • inno123
    13 years ago
    Let's break it down: Federal. There is no federal role other than the constitution's first ammendment rights. In general when local controls have been overturned it has been on first ammendment issues. States. States generally set the criminal code and the constitutional ammendment that ended prohibition specifically gave the states the right to regulate the sale of alcohol. Most, but not all strip club regulations are state law. Cities can also establish ordinances that are enforced through fines or loss of business licenses. Frankly a lot of strip club rules are contained in the zoning code or as stipulations in the use permit. So for example in California the general rule that you can't have nudity in a club that serves alcohol is a state law but the fact that some cities allow vip rooms or others require a distance between the edge of the stage and the closest patrons are local building codes. Finally a very important thing set at the local level is the priorities of the police.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Bribes have been one way of getting around restrictions on strip clubs.
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    OP wants a 28th Amendment to cover strip clubs.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    here in columbus they are using the pasties.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    Hmmm... "The 28th Amendment: The right of the people to see and touch bare Breasts shall not be infringed."
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Law #1 no jacking off while sitting in front of the stage or bar
  • mjx01
    13 years ago
    Clubber... sadly that's true. CT & Steve... I'd vote for it. Any power not explicitly given to the federal government in the constitution is supposed to remain with the states. The so called represenitives in DC with the help of the supreme court keep coming up with ways to circumvent this.
  • TABB
    13 years ago
    It has to do with states and largely county's/cities.
  • LeeH
    13 years ago
    Ditto what dakka said -- tight-ass-ed-ness knows no political affiliation. Over-simplification (like rh48hr's) is so damn tiring.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    I'm confused: rh48hr: "There are instances of more liberal leaning areas where you can only get air dances." dakka: "rh48hr, Your view is way to simple for reality. Montgomery county in Maryland, which is one of the most liberal counties in the country has flat out banned all strip clubs." So are you agreeing or disagreeing?
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    Thanks Steve, that was my point. Whether you have great contact or air dances is totally random. Lee - I don't disagree with you when it comes to tightasses, but when was the last time you heard a liberal going on TV to shut down a strip club? If it has happened recently, I apologize, but I haven't seen it.
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    I thought the second amendment gave me the right to bare tits.
  • DandyDan
    13 years ago
    I don't understand any of the logic behind it, either. Frankly, it's a waste of time to even try to understand. You're just better off knowing what the law is in a given city and running with it however you like.
  • mjx01
    13 years ago
    Simplest solution: visit Canada!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion