tuscl

Off-Topic: U.S. Indicies about to Take a Dump?

The Fed finally ran out of bullets yesterday, essentially passing the problem that is the American economy off to the president and Congress to resolve. One of my favorite reads thinks the S&P will break through 1,100 (now at 1,128) and head for 950. On the selloff already, the U.S. Dollar is rallying, which is whacking crude, gold, commodities, etc. The good news is if we do hit 950, I suspect that will equate to $1 less a gallon at the pump. Grocery stores may once again cut prices on foodstuffs. And we all get to watch the circus in DC....

35 comments

• deogol
    13 years ago
    DOW 3000!
  • Rlionheart
    13 years ago
    The problem went OOC when liquidity disappeared. Calamity was averted when the Fed stepped in and used a Keynesian model to provide enough funding at low enough rates to essentially
    jump-start the short term credit markets. But that acts like the aftermath of a large wave hitting the beach: secondary pulses, cross-currents, pauses. It's going to be a bumpy ride for at least 18 to 24 months as this excess is digested by the world markets. It beats 10+ years of bread-lines and privation. But watch the short term credit markets - If rates are not affected by the Feds recently announced $ 400 Billion long to short term two-step, the ride will be much longer and bumpier.
  • Rlionheart
    13 years ago
    PS: It's not off topic - indices dump = fewer jobs = less income = less disposable income = fewer trips to the SC. OMG - Somebody do something!!!!!
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    Better if the government does NOTHING!!! Most times, they ARE the problem!
  • Rlionheart
    13 years ago
    Hoover tried that
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    The markets will remain volatile until there's a regime change in DC.
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    The markets will probably still be volatile after that, Dudester. Politicians are all the same once they get to DC.
  • Rlionheart
    13 years ago
    Dudester - the bubble burst and the credit markets froze in 2008 - current regime didn't take office till 2009. Systemic events take lots of time to run their course
  • Jackmd
    13 years ago
    PLEASE. This is a stripclub site.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    "PLEASE. This is a stripclub site."

That's true, but I also get ALL my financial advice from this site. Saves me the time of reading the Journal or watching Bloomberg.
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Not quite, CTQ.

The Fed still has one big howitzer to fire. Flood the world with dollars straight from the printing presses, not t-bills or bonds. Switzerland just did this recently - setting the swissie at 1.2 euros. The Swiss are now sucking up euros like crazy and shoveling Swiss francs out the door of the room holding the printing presses. Whatever they are doing with all those euros is unknown. I am pretty sure they are not buying Greek, Irish, Spanish, Italian, French bonds! Gold, perhaps?

A strong dollar is exactly NOT what the US economy needs right now. Bernanke has been slyly devaluing the dollar by manipulating the bond market (exceedingly well, in my view). However, events in Europe have put paid to this campaign. The fear and terror in European financial markets is sending 'hot' money to the US in super tanker loads; and the dollar cross rates are going to the moon. Good luck to you, Mr. Bernanke.

For me in my oil play, the US dollar movement has cost me a 5% hit on my profit margins so far. I didn't get my CAD-USD hedge right. I got the oil hedge on at a pretty good price, thank heavens. My production is hedged at $106/bbl through 2013. I am real pissed with myself for getting the dollar hedge wrong.

End of steve's economics tutorial.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    fd,

You state, "Politicians are all the same once they get to DC." I believe that in the past, and up to fairly recent times, you are mostly correct. That said, I also believe there is a new breed that is NOT the same. Ones such as my Senator, NOT Bill Nelson.
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    Tea Party reps are causing trouble for Dems and Old School Reps. It would seem there is a new player in D.C. I don't know if it is good or not yet.
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Hmmmm... boy... Looks like trouble. We better get tittyfan's advice of what to do here. His short treasuries since March would have protected us, right? ;-)
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    Art, that's true. But, the Republican frontrunner, Rick Perry, made headlines for stating if Bernanke to print any more dollars would be treasonous. That sentiment likely clipped Bernanke's wings yesterday when he elected to go the twist route. So he'll likely wait until things get sooooooooooooo bad that he's given political cover to crank up the presses. The seniors living on fixed income will just love him then.

Fyi: I still had $260 in Canadian dollars left I didn't exchange until today. Supposedly it's $1.02 U.S. now, but Bank of America only paid me $.92 on every Canadian bill I had. So basically they screwed me out of an LDU!

By the way, nice of Steve to own up to his financial moonlighting here. He is, as I recall, the father of the LDU metric. [Adam Smith: Wealth of Nations; John Maynard Keynes: Treatise on Money; Milton Friedman: A Monetary History of the United States; Steve229: the LDU].
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    I need to take one.
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    I read TUSCL for the keen economic insights provided by the contributors. Without this forum, I would have to subscribe to The Economist.

The signs and omens point to one thing: The world is going to hell in a handbasket. My plan is to sell my stocks and put all my money into strippers' garters. This will insure that I won't mind when my investment goes down on me.
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    "The seniors living on fixed income will just love him then." Least likely to take up arms.
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Just as long as no one is listening to tittyfan. He suggested "short treasuries" to hedge against this. One little problem, his hedge actually lost money instead of gaining some! Oops!
  • CTQWERTY
    13 years ago
    Yeah, but those gals can swing a mean handbag!
  • Jackmd
    13 years ago
    You guys are right. I'm cancelling my subscription to WSJ and the Economist, firing my financial planner and will invest only in oil futures from now on. What was I thinking joining a SC site.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    I took another one.
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    I think bonds finally topped out. The US dollar is going to keep rising for a while now I think. I'm going up to five to one leverage. (Averaged in at 75.68 for those keeping track at home. :-) )
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    @Dougster,

You are killing me with your prescient calls on USD. I put on a hedge for my USD-CAD exposure at $1.025. Most recent quote this AM - $.9636. OUCH! That is a 6% hit to my profit margin. I did much better with my oil hedge - $106/bbl through 2013.

My gut and my brain both tell me that USD must fall vs CAD (and sooner rather than later). HAH! Forex market doesn't agree with me! I am going to keep that dollar hedge in place for while, at least until the profit margin hit approaches 12%. At that level it would make sense to eat the the loss on the dollar hedge and capture the profit premium that a $.90 spot CAD would add to my oil hedge.

What are your thoughts, Dougster?

• Dougster
    13 years ago
    @art: congratulations on the oil hedge. You must be grinning ear to ear with oil down in the low $80's?

When I was first getting into the long dollars trade I thought it would just be short term, but now I am feeling more optimistic that it is looking good long term. The biggest parts of the dollar index are versus the Euro, the Yen, and the Pound.

Europe, of course, is very messed up right now and the market is expecting them to drop rates to help out when they had been expecting rate hikes before. I can seen the Euro bounce short term on some grand bailout scheme, but I think the Euro problems are likely to continue for years.

Yen is a bit iffy. Long term I think it is tied to the strength of China so that will continue to work for it. If bonds really did top out however then that should put pressure on the Yen to weaken.

The Pound would also be strongly influence for the worse against problems in Europe, so I don't like its chances against the dollar, either. The British economy is also one of the weakest in terms of GDP growth amongst the major economies and they are even more willing to print money than the US.

The other big thing is that, probably due to the election, and how much inflation disrupted other countries earlier this year, the Fed doesn't seem to be allowed to do as much QE as they would like. (The "twist" puts downward pressure on gold as well, although the gold market is very small compared to currencies, so I think this is just a minor factoring working in the dollar's favor.)

So I like the US dollars chances at this stage. Probably good until the election next year, but, of course, you always have to watch this volatile market, and things you thought were given could change at any time. (Although with your oil hedge you can't be too worried! )
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    @doug,

This exchange demonstrates the differences between a trader (you) and a business operator (me). My oil hedge was dead easy to figure out since I know my cost of production to the penny and the estimated length of time needed to drill out my land position. Accepting the profit margin that the $106/bbl hedge guaranteed was a no-brainer. My plan is to extend the land position and flip the company with these three years of juicy profits on the books to entice a buyer.

The USD-CAD hedge demonstrates what a buffoon I can be in markets where I have no real expertise. I suppose if I had done even some rudimentary research I might have done better. Seat-of-the-pants investing is no better than buying lotto tickets. I pondered this hedge a great deal but pondering is no replacement for down-and-dirty real work; and I just did not do that. I have decided to let USD-CAD $.90 be my stop-loss floor on this unfortunate hedge. In addition, I will want to see a pretty quick reversal in the trend of this cross rate. I will take the losses on this hedge if the rates are still at current levels in the new year.

I can be such an ass!!
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    @art: I don't see the US dollar gaining as much versus the Canadian dollar as I think it will versus the Euro and Pound. I think maybe up to USD=$1.10 CAD unless there is some real mania (which, of course, happens all the time in the market, I won't rule out total nutiness).

This morning feels like we are near a (temporary) top in the USD versus the Euro. I think I am going to the book the trade for a 25% profit. Might want some margin around so I can short some treasuries or the S&P or whatever txtittyfan says is the best way to protect assets now. :-)
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    @doug,

The pain of my USD-CAD hedge is worse. CAD is down another $0.02 since 09/29. My profit margin hit is now 8%. The speed of this movement is stunning. Happily, oil is continuing to fall as well.

Even happier for me is the gradual drop in prices charged by some of my suppliers. My drilling contractor has had another high tech rig come free and it is being offered to me for $15,000/day LESS than the comparable rig under contract to me until June/12. Shows how fast things respond to the market in the oil patch - the guy is willing to take a $450k/mo hit in order to keep his rigs running. I am happy to squeeze suppliers to lessen the hit caused by my asinine dollar hedge.
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    @art: Yep, extremely volatile market right now. I have no positions. (I really wish tittyfan would offer us some advice here to give us all a clue, but just silence from him.) I am sure the Europe thing is not over though, mostly waiting for a point to reshort...
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Those Europeans still don't know what the fuck they are doing and say they won't until 2012. Time to slowly get back in the US dollar longs. Starting with 2:1 at 77.0 on the dollar index. I will go to 3:1 at 76.8 and 4:1 at 76.2.
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Well, doug, CAD has recovered nicely against USD. My hedge is still offside but not as bad as two weeks ago (early spot this AM - $.9896).

I have tried to understand the index that you use but I cannot see how it is useful for my specific needs. Can you enlighten me? Or is the dollar index only a trading vehicle, not a hedging tool?
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Yes, it was a very nice rally on the Canadian dollar, and how about that Australian dollar?

There are dollar index futures, but it's mostly for trading. I think anyone doing hedging for real business purposes is going to use more specific contracts.

• farmerart
    13 years ago
    @dougster,

This roller coaster ride on my CAD-USD hedge during the last two months has been spectacular. Spot quote this AM has approached $1.01. That is not far south of my hedge price of $1.025. I am no longer beating myself up about the hedge. It looks like my hedge will be onside soon, protecting my oil profits until Dec 2013.

Do you follow oil prices, doug? The WTI-Brent spread is closing. That is a very bullish signal for my industry and the North American economy in general. Gas consumption must be picking up in the US. That does not necessarily mean higher prices at the pumps either. The mess at Cushing has meant that most east coast refineries have been using more Brent crude than usually is the case.

Now you guys have to quit messing around with the XL pipeline. Approve it and get it in the ground and watch oil prices! Brent-WTI differential will disappear. Everybody will win.

• Dougster
    13 years ago
    @art: I don't follow oil at all. I agree your hedge is good. The Europeans managed to get it together!

I got stopped out on those long dollars. Net-net I'm still up on long US dollars this year but now I think the US is going to be in the market's cross-hairs and the dollar will take out the all time lows. I'm long gold, US Steel (ticker X) and short the US dollar against the Australian dollar.

I think the market goes back after Europe eventually, but first it has to teach the US to get it's house in order.

Selling all the oil has got to be sweet!

• Dougster
    13 years ago
    @art: I see that oil has really been flying on rumors that Israel is going to attack Iran. I won't be surprised if Obama let's them do it either. Got that Bin Laden guy, then Gaddafi, won't Iran look good on the totem pole?

The market's been super choppy since my last post. I'm taking the loss on Aussie dollar (bought at 1.0660 out at 1.0250), and rolling that money into gold (1st bought at 1740 doubling at 1775) . Going to hold onto X as well (bought at 25 currently around 26.2).
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion