tuscl

Annoying Strip Club Practices ... Part 3: Not Giving Dancer Info. by Phone

Club_Goer_Seattle
Seattle, Washington
Monday, June 6, 2011 5:12 PM
I've only had this experience with a few different strip clubs, among the dozens I've dealt with in my club-going career, both in L.A. and now in Seattle. I've always had the phone numbers of my faves, but sometimes I want to see other dancers and will want to call a club to know whether or not a certain dancer is working at that moment. Sometimes, if I want to check out a different club than those that I'm familiar with, I may call just to ask how many dancers are on shift at that moment—some clubs won't even tell a customer that much! Most clubs will answer those questions. Occasionally someone answering the phone will even volunteer a little more information, such as when the dancer arrived or is expected to arrive, or may give her schedule. When the club will not give out dancer information, their excuse for not doing so is that it's for the dancers' safety. My response is that it's for the clubs profits—those clubs are simply greedy. The clubs that don't give out that information, are gambling that the customer will come in anyway. Those clubs that gamble like that with me always lose. I will not go into that club at that time, just on a whim, hoping conditions there will be to my liking. (Fortunately only one of the ten clubs here in Seattle operates like that. I've even mentioned to them that all nine of their competitors will give out that information and they still don't get it.) What's been you experience on this subject, and how to you deal with it?

19 comments

• gsv
    13 years ago
    Interesting topic. I've called one club in the past seeking this information and they've always been great about it (letting me know whether the dancer is working, and even her schedule for the rest of the week). I'd be surprised if the club didn't give this information. I don't see how this really impacts the dancer's safety. If they're in the club, well, they're clearly safe there. And if they're not there, it's not like you would actually know where they are. The club I'm referring to makes a lot of their money from private rooms which regulars take their favorite girl(s) to, so it's normal for them to get a phone call to ask if a girl is in, and if they get, they'll generally expect some great business that day. So it's of course in their favor to give out this info.
  • crazyjoe
    13 years ago
    have found that sometimes a dancer may ask for the person answering the phones to say they are not there if anyone calls and asks if they are there! They may have a stocker
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    I've found that when you call to see if Trixie is working the clubs will often lie just so you will come in. It's better to get the dancers' phone numbers or email addresses. Or give the dancers your phone or email, and then the girls can let you know when they're working.
  • magicrat
    13 years ago
    I used to call asking if my fav, who had no phone, was working. This was at a very small, now closed club. The bartender/manager always answered the phone. A few times when I called her reply would be "yeah she's here, want to talk to her?" I've never tried it anywhere else as any other favs I've had, have a phone and I just call them directly.
  • Rod8432
    13 years ago
    Crazyjoe - re: "They may have a stocker." You mean the dancer will be stuck in the back all night stocking shelves... :)
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Stalkers are one reason not to give dancer information. Some dancers don't want the information given because they are hiding their dancing from other emmployers, family members or SOs. Club managers want you to come in, not have an excuse to stay home or go elsewhere because a fav is not on duty that night. It would be better if clubs could use websites to post dancer schedules, but that's too costly and too intelligent.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    At the clubs I frequent, they mostly don't know who or when a dancer is going to show up to work. This is what disinguishes independent contactors from club employees. I don't tie my clubbing to who is working. I go and hope I find one that suits me. The exception being gridget. I always know when she will be there because she is only there when I am there.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    After the above posts, I thought I'd return and respond to the following posters: Jackslash - I've certainly had that experience, too, where a club will tell you, "yeah she's here," only to find out when you arrive and ask again, you're told, "Oh, she just left." Anything to get customers in. Magicrat - Only once did I have that experience, where not only was I told, "Yes, she's here. Would you like to talk to her?" It was also at a very small club, and the manager knew me. The dancer was very new, it was a slow day, and the manager just wanted to help this new girl a little. That was four years ago, and I still see that dancer (including last night), but this is now three clubs later in her dancing career. Superdude - When I lived in L.A. there were two sets of clubs that made their dancer schedules available to the public. One was a group of three clubs owned together. Long before the internet became common, they all had telephone recordings you could listen to each day giving the line-up of the day and night shifts for just that day. It was very helpful. Anyone from L.A. know if they still do this? Those clubs were the Bare Elegance (both locations) and the Jet Strip. Another group of three clubs posted dancers schedule for that week, only, on the club's web site. That too, was great. But, I think they got too many complaints of dancers not showing up, and dropped the practice after about three years of doing so. A couple of posters commented that customers would do well to just have their favorite dancers' phone numbers. I certainly do that. Sometime I will use the phone to call a club to ask if a dancer is there that I know I want to avoid. The club thinks those inquiries are all positive, meaning if the girl you're asking about is there, you'll come in. I may know that my fave is there, but if I know a dancer is there I really dislike, sometimes, I'll come in another time.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    Sometimes calling the club works too well: I call the club and my fav Bartender answers: Me: Is P---- working today? BT: Yes, she’s coming in. Hey, is this Steve? Me: Ahh… BT: I’ll tell her you called, ok? Me: Uh, ok…
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    Steve: I know what you mean. I called a club one time from somebody else's phone, and they recognized my voice. I got there later and the girl I'd been looking for said, "Yeah, the bartender said you'd called."
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    George - The down side of a club that does answer customer questions about dancers, is that they sometimes tell the dancer that someone called asking if that dancer is in at the moment. Then the dancer is thinking that she's got customer X coming in soon to see her. Just because I call a club and ask and they tell me that a certain dancer is there, doesn't always mean I'm coming in. I might call a few clubs to ask the same question, then decide which club I want to go to. One club once told me they absolutely do not tell the dancer, unless the customer specifically asks to club to do so. Sometimes I ask the club myself to tell the dancer that I'm coming in. OhioVoyeur - That's really bad if once you actually get to a club, and they still won't tell you at the door before you pay your admission! Wow, I've never heard of that. Many times I have asked about a particular dancer at the door before paying admission, and never in my club-going career did I have your experience!
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    A dancer sees that she is a marquee draw for high paying regulars. This dancer starts to demand special favors from the manager, i.e., no tip out or being slotted for big parties. Other dancers hear about this. Now we have drama. One way to avoid all of this is never give out information on when a dancer is working.
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    Having worked at a hotel across the street, I can certify that clubs draw stalkers, a few of them even wearing a blue uniform with a badge and gun. Also, because strippers are by nature flakey and flighty, there's no counting on them. Finally, it would be nice of clubs had a computer screen at the front desk. Once you pay your cover, you can zip through and see who is in the club today. It wouldn't be that expensive to set up.
  • DFFECHSWU
    13 years ago
    I would prefer they answer, but I do understand if they don't. As others have mentioned, it's best to get the digits from your fave dancers if at all possible.
  • dudeanonymous
    13 years ago
    I've never called a club to see if a specifc dancer is there. I've gone hoping that so-and-so will be working, but if I'm going, I'm going. Whether any one dancer is working or not is usually not a decision point. I have had CFs text me to let me know they were working, but that usually screams of desperation: "Hey, no one else is here! Come spend some money on me!"
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    Dudester: "Finally, it would be nice of clubs had a computer screen at the front desk. Once you pay your cover, you can zip through and see who is in the club today. It wouldn't be that expensive to set up." If this info was on the computer, they could also put it on their web site. But club owners are too cheap and too stupid to make effective use of technology.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    Dudester and Jackslash - The Deja Vu clubs in the Puget Sound region have exactly that at the front counter. However, it's not easily viewable by the public. Upon arrival, I will often ask if certain dancers are on shift, or simply how many dancers are present, and all they have to do is look at the computer and the tell me. They do that willingly.
  • dustyshoes
    13 years ago
    Sometimes I want to see someone in particular, and sometimes I don't want to see someone. I call and ask at 3 clubs. One club always answers, 1 club never answers, 1 club sometimes answers and sometimes asks if there is anyone in particular I am interested in. Sometimes they say that they don't want to read all of them. (maybe 6-8) Once I asked if it was too hard, maybe they could read only the first 3 or 4. That pissed him off. They don't have to list things on the web in advance, it only takes a few minutes to put the name in.
  • troop
    13 years ago
    i've called some clubs to see who's dancing because there are some dancers i'd like to see and some that i don't want to see. some will tell you who's dancing, some won't, some it depends on who answers the phone.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion