tuscl

(REVISED) Annoying Strip Club Practices ... Part 2: "Wanna Dance (When You're S

Club_Goer_Seattle
Seattle, Washington
Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:10 AM
Sorry folks. On my original submission, I accidentally hit the “Post It” button before I was finished with my editing: The first twelve years or so, of my strip club-going was in L.A. (There are over 100 in the metropolitan area. Perhaps I saw half of them in my years there: 1992-2006). Every single club I went to had a tip rail. It seemed to be a common courtesy that dancers not solicit dances at the tip rail. (In one club, I was told it was rule.) The idea is for the dancer on stage to keep the customers' attention so that she will be able to interest them in dances when she leaves the stage. In 2004 I began making trips to Seattle, to where I later moved in 2006. I noticed just the opposite here. First, none of the clubs, in 2004, had a tip rail. But there was always a front row of seating. It seemed to be about six feet from the stage. Most clubs were designed like this, perhaps in accordance with state law. (One exception to this design are the Déjà Vu Clubs. The DV clubs have steps leading down from the stage all around it which entices the dancer on stage to come down to the floor level and “mingle” with the customers in the front row. This design encourages the customers to tip the dancers on stage because of this. Another exception is one club that opened last year does have a tip rail, but it's well protected and distanced from the stage) Once I started going to Seattle clubs, I noticed that neither the clubs, nor the dancers have this code of ethics, or courtesy. Dancers will approach customers sitting in the front row/tip rail and ask them for dances. I find this very annoying. If I'm sitting in the front row, it's because I want to watch the dancer on stage at the time, and not be interrupted by another dancer who wants to ask me for a dance. I even go so far as to make sure my body language shouts, “I'm watching the dancer on stage now!” They still don't get it and bug me for dances when I'm sitting in the front row. Is this a concern for you at the clubs you attend?

20 comments

• samsung1
    13 years ago
    sometimes I like it when a dancer sits down and talks for a few minutes so I can get to know her. Other time I like it just "wanna dance" and keep the talking to a bare minimum to add a sense of mystery to her.
  • IrishLad
    13 years ago
    In TX sitting by the stage does not mean you don't want dances. That said I rarely go for "wanna dance", the better experiences usually begin with "hi would you like some company".
  • Rod8432
    13 years ago
    I haven't found any consistency on this. When I sit at the stage/tip rail, I don't necessarily want girls to stay away. Sometimes they approach and sometimes not. I just make sure I tip the dancer on stage in either case, and everyone's happy.
  • gillydon
    13 years ago
    Sitting in the front row usually means that you're tipping the stage dancer a few dollars a song, which means that you came to the club willing to spend money beyond the drink/admission cost. If you're just sitting somewhere in the back then maybe you're cheap or low on funds, and just came in to watch for a bit without spending anything extra. So, the dancers approach the guys sitting in the front because they're more likely to be there to spend money.
  • minnow
    13 years ago
    In over 100 different club visits spanning a quarter century, I have rarely encountered this occurence DURING a stage show. Many do, however, approach stage seats between shows. This would only bug me if she continued to sit with me after I indicated that I'm not interested in dances right now. In similar vein, waitress asking me if I want a drink when my glass is HALF FULL, and I'm about to have a good interaction with stage performer.
  • DFFECHSWU
    13 years ago
    Yeah, I see it particularly in the PA clubs, but it doesn't happen at Bare Assets in FL. The places in PA I go to generally have two stages (or two dancers), and provided one is right in front of me, I don't want someone coming up to me an asking for a dance. This is particularly annoying when I want to see a special dancer, and she is basically on the stage in front of me for only one song ... right next to me and about to move my way ... then BAM ... someone taps me on the shoulder. I don't sit at the tip rail the entire time I'm in a club, so in my opinion the dancer's should wait until I move away.
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    Most places there is an unwritten rule among dancers not to solicit a dance while a customer is at the stage. If approached and you want her to go away, keep tipping and keep your attention focused on the girl on stage, while not even turning to acknowledge soliciting dancer. The girl will usually take a hint and go away promptly.
  • dudeanonymous
    13 years ago
    Different clubs have different rules. I went to a club I was unfamiliar with last year and sat at the tip rail. I tipped a $5 to one girl and asked her to come see me after she got off stage, thinking I would take her for a LD. Waited and waited for her at the tip rail, and finally spotted her sitting alone in the back of the club. When I got up to go to the bathroom, she immediate launched herself at me. She would have been fined if she had approached me at the rail. On the other hand, I HATE being asked for an unsolicited dance when I'm at the rail, especially when they sit down and try to engage you in conversation when you are intent on getting a little action from a stage tip.
  • bumrubber
    13 years ago
    +1 gillydon The smarter and more outgoing ones recognize this and plop right into your lap, then do their best to steal your attention away from the girl on stage.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Smarter stripper what is that?
  • Chanel
    13 years ago
    It is dancer courtesy EVERYWHERE not to approach a customer for a dance when he is watching a stage routine by another girl. It doesn't mean it isn't done though. Some of the responses here are the reason-you don't really know unless you ask. I try to balance acting rude to my co-workers with regret when a faster girl goes back in the VIP with the guy. So I may ask the people in the back row, but not up front. I've had dancers and hostesses completely block a customer's view of me by standing in front of him, sitting in his lap with her face up to his, or bending down in front of him. I think that's a bit much.
  • bhunter5252
    13 years ago
    I went to Jaguars in Dallas. THe girl on stage gave me a lot of attention as I was at a table close to the stage and there are no chairs at the stage rail. My eyes were still adjusting to the dark so I did not realize I was the only customer. After her set she came and sat at the table with me. I was a little annoyed per the unspoken rule about not pestering customers "at the rail". Then I noticed, there were no other dancers besides her. No one else came onstage. WE talked a few minutes and I got a nice lap dance in the back.
  • rickdugan
    13 years ago
    I've never heard of this "don't solicit the customers at the tip rail" rule and I think is kind of silly. If you don't want a dance, just say no. Period.
  • bang69
    13 years ago
    When ever I sit by the stage. I always get mind if I join you.
  • chukko
    13 years ago
    For me it depends on the club I'm in and my mood. Generally, if I get up from a seat away from the stage and move to a front row rail seat to start tipping that means that I don't want to be bother for a dance. I usually only do that move when a dancer actually is putting on a good performance and I'm impressed. I think that the only appropriate time for a dancer to come ask for a dance from me is 1 and maybe even 2 songs after her last stage performance, because sometimes I drop heavier or more tips to get that kind of attention. I am more open to random dancer approaches when I first enter a club. I usually like to do 1 or 2 (depending on the price) warm up or "charity" dances when I first enter a club to get me started, comfortable, and relaxed with the setting; and good attention. I will usually get a dance with the first dancer that approaches/talks to me who doesn't make me want to hurl. As far as the waiter, don't ask me if I want more to drink if I still have half a drink left... ever. If I wanted more to drink then I would just finish drinking what I have and signal for or go get another.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Wear a "No solicitation unless you're planning to fuck me" tshirt
  • trixxi
    10 years ago
    Is it OK for the dancer (you are watching) at the end of her stage set, asking for a dance from the customer sitting at the rack who is watching her??? I always ask at the end of my set and 80% say yes.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @trixxie: Yes.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    Have a heart, it's enough stress to rely on 100% commission to pay your bills. Don't ask them to read our minds and guess exactly when or how we want to be asked. It's a discourtesy to the stage dancer if she asks you before you've finished tipping. It's a discourtesy to you and the stage dancer if she tries to carry on a long conversation while your at the tip rail. As long as a dancer doesn't get clingy and doesn't ask me more than once per hour, she's OK in my book.
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    I was asked and agreed to a floor dance in Tucson while I was watching a stripper dance on stage. Seemed OK to me. I remember there was no tipping rail, though there were lounge chairs around the stage which were perfect for floor dances. Here in Portland, tipping rails are common/norm. So I sit at the rail and watch. Nobody asked me for dances while I was sitting there, yet. So it could be regional culture.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion