tuscl

Sound Familiar ?

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:41 PM
Below is a description of a bordello in the once Roman city of Pompeii. I've never been there (but I'd like to go). Anyway, the description sounds familiar to me and it should to SC fans. So, how far have we come ? Is the circle just coming around again ?

13 comments

• Dudester
    13 years ago
    The ancient Romans also loved to display erotic artifacts, with everything from lamps to garden statuary. Pompeii housed 41 places of prostitution and a public brothel in the middle of town, a two-story structure with five cubicles -- sparse tiny, narrow rooms -- on each floor containing erotic frescos. One, recreated at the exhibition, has graffiti on the wall that translates to: "Here I came, I had sex, then I went home." It's discretely tucked away behind other exhibits.
  • gk
    13 years ago
    Venni, vitti, fuckee? Or something like that. Don't quote me on Latin, maybe I'm parodying the wrong phrase.
  • mikeya02
    13 years ago
    I learned about the famous "I came, I saw, I conquered" phrase, never learned about the "I came, I saw, I fucked" phrase. Funny.
  • Realist123
    13 years ago
    "public brothel in the middle of town" Why can't all cities be like this?
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    ^^^^^ Because most cities don't want to be covered in molten lava and ash... :)
  • troop
    13 years ago
    LOL georg, you gotta figure that pompeii should have learned it's lesson from sodom and gomorrah ;)
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Vidi, vici, veni
  • sanitago
    13 years ago
    I read somewhere that the reasons for those frescoes wasn't to "stimulate" the customers, it was because there were so many people passing through the port of Pompeii who didn't speak Latin (and still wanted to get laid) that they put them up so the non-Latin speakers could just pointed to what 'service' they wanted. nice way to add to the bottom line.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    The HBO series "Rome" and Showtime's "Spartacus" have good depictions of Roman sexual practices.
  • spudd
    13 years ago
    I saw a documentary on Roman brothel. One interesting fact is the prices of services are the same as they are today, accounting for inflation and purchasing power.
  • mmdv26
    13 years ago
    I saw, I paid, I came, I went.
  • BaddJack
    13 years ago
    here is mmdv26's suggestion: Vidi, pensi, veni, exiti.
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Jack: exiti ?? Maybe not.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion