tuscl

how long on a dry well ?

LeeH
Georgia
Just in your observational experience, since I know everyone here is a big spender. ;-)

Dancer strikes up conversation with a customer. Customer has no intention of spending money, but hey, there's a pretty girl talking to him, so he plays along. How long before she gives up on him and moves on?

Now I'm not talking about the hustler who's talking VIP before her ass hits the chair, but a more "average" dancer.

18 comments

• georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    In most cases, I'd have to say a few minutes at best. But it depends on the guy, the girl, who's playing who and how hard, and how busy the club is. I've had girls sit for 30 minutes, even after I made clear I wasn't spending any money, and I've had girls get up as soon as I so indicate.
  • Rod8432
    14 years ago
    If it's a relatively new girl (or at least, new for me), I find it's approx 5 - 8 minutes, or the equivalent of 2-3 songs, before the subject of a dance comes up. If I say no, then she'll sit for a few more seconds while scanning the club for other marks, and then make her way. Usually her exit line is "Well, I need to hit the little girls' room." I often encourage her as well, saying something like, "I know you need to circulate; please feel free."

If a dancer is one of my favorite regulars, then she'll sit for a good 10 minutes or more while we catch up. And then it's usually me who asks for the dances, after which I'll encourage her to mix and mingle if she'd like. Even then, they sometimes linger for a bit, seemingly reluctant to ply the crowd. I can see why, and if I'm in the mood, will occasionally ask for another dance a few minutes later. And I've even been known to slip a Hamilton into a woman's garter for no more reason than I enjoyed her company while cuddling on my lap. I swear I like that sometimes better than having her dance.
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    When you hit a duster in the oil patch you pull the bit, seal the hole, and move on to the next site; hoping the seismic is better for the new site.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    my experiences are about the same as what george said.

regarding exit lines, the usual one that i get is "i'll be back"
    i'm just glad that they're not terminators.. lol
  • dodgeman
    14 years ago
    I guess it depends if the dancer is new to the club or it is a new customer. Just yesterday I was at my favorite club. Most of the dancers there know that I am there to see my FAV so they talk for a couple of minutes before they ask because sometimes I say yes.Then they move on or stay if it is not crowded. Well yesterday this new dancer to the club came over to me and must have talked for a good 20mins without ever asking for a dance. Normally after a few minutes I tell them that I am waiting for someone, but she was damm cute I just couldn't tell her.
  • LeeH
    14 years ago
    art, you dang fereners and your metaphors! ;-)
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Well, last evening, right at 3 minutes.
  • scatterbrain
    14 years ago
    I've been in some clubs where it's the rule to only sit through a couple of songs if we're not buying. Otherwise, it takes away from other ladies' opportunity they claim, particularly if you're known as a spender. Seems reasonable to me. Sometimes the hanger-ons are the ones you most want to leave because you're just not hitting it off and you want some others to audition.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    i try to not be rude but yeah it pisses me off when a dancer that i have no interest in won't get up and leave when there are other dancers around that i would rather have sitting in her place.
  • dw.buck
    14 years ago
    the dancer should have a self imposed time limit, 1-2 songs if they she is hiting it off stay another but if it is dry circulate the club. we know you are there to get money so ladies dont stick too long unless it looks like we are enjoying your company.
  • inno123
    14 years ago
    If I've spend my budget I'll tell the dancer that up front that I don't wouldn't want to waste her time. They usually appreciate the honesty. If I am still scoping the place out (who knows, maybe she is the best thing here) I'll wait until she decides to leave.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Dancers in Detroit have a two step approach before they leave the booth. First, of course is to pitch for dances after about 2 songs of conversation. If the patron declines, then the dancer will hang on for another 2 songs trying to get the patron to buy a drink. If the patron buys a drink, the dancer on gives a signal to other dancers to come to the booth so they can meet their drink quotas. They are required to sell dances or drinks, preferably both, if they want to keep working in the club. The tough ones will ask you to buy them a meal and won't leave when you tell them "NO!"
  • stripclubspy
    14 years ago
    It seems that every SCer has preferences for how they like to be approached, etc. I always lol when someone writes that a certain location in a club prevents "sneak attacks".

I find the whole subject of how dancers approach customers, especially new (to them) customers, to be very interesting. Honestly, some of them are just clueless, but they still seem to make a living so some customers must be responding to it.

In my experience there are a number of categories:

1. Drive-by "Wannadance?" Duh. This rarely works with me, unless the dancer has certain assets that I really like or I have already decided via long-distance observation that she is worth a try. I find these dancers usually fall into two categories; the desperate ones who don't think they have time to waste and have to move on, and the really hot ones with a lot of regulars who know they can find another customer right away if I turn them down.

2. Politely standing by "Do you want some company?" is a notch above "wannadance" - immediately I give her some credit for subtlety, and having the patience and faith in her own skills of persuasion to invest some time, as well as the politeness. I also find, however, that if I answer "yes" to this question that I then feel an obligation to either get some dances or give a nice tip just for talking. So, unless I'm already half sold I'll immediately say I'm waiting for someone or not planning to get any dances.

3. "How's your day going?" as she slides into the next seat without waiting to be asked. This is either a sign of desperation or the mark of a professional - someone who knows she may not be your type, but thinks she can charm herself into a few dances. A few months ago there was a discussion here about a discussion on the pink site, where dancers were complaining that custies say "I'm not interested" before they even sit down, and how mad that makes them. So, I normally exchange some polite small talk before "thanks for stopping by, but I'm waiting for someone... and I don't want you to waste your charms on me." Because they didn't ask before sitting down, however, I don't feel any obligation for dances or tip. Sometimes I get a miffed "did I ask for dances?" but they relax when I say "I'm just trying to be honest and save you some time."

At Bogart's the entrance to the VIP is near one end of the bar, and there are a few tables against the wall on the other side of the steps. From there it is interesting to observe the dancers leading their customers to the VIP; some look like they are dreading it, others just look bored; some are strutting with a look of triumph in their eyes; some are holding the guy's hand and hauling them along, afraid they're going to change their minds... and the really smart, sales-savvy ones are walking confidently, making eye contact with guys along their path, smiling, winking, pursing their lips, saying with their eyes, "Don't you wish it was you I was taking upstairs? You can be next." This is one way to separate the real pros from the clueless ones!

Also at Bogarts is a long-timer named Renee. She is not the best looking dancer around, by far; if you saw her on the street I doubt very much that "stripper" would be the first thing that came to mind. She also goes for the little girl look a lot - two pony tails and a little plaid skirt, for example, which I don't personally like. What she is, however, is a master of her craft. She is so good at generating revenue that they let her come in at 10 or 10:30, when normally the dancers get fined for being late. When approaching a customer, she leans in and touches them in a very intimate way - not a coarse crotch grab, but an arm around the neck, a brush of a bare flesh against the arm, etc., and says "hey baby..." She stares into your eyes, and makes you feel like you're the only man in the world. Few men can resist, and off to the VIP they go. Of course the fact that extras are almost expected doesn't hurt either... anyway, it is fun watching her work the room, just like it is fun to watch an athlete who is at the top of their sport.

Enough off-subject jabbering...

• bumrubber
    14 years ago
    How long? Depends on how slow a night it is! Some will hang out all night if they think you're the only chance at another $20.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    I think saying fuck off reduces their pushing for laps.
  • Player11
    14 years ago
    Assuming she sits with me they may go 5-15 min before pushing dances. During this time some good mileage might be had depencing on the girl. I have done this at Heartbreakers taking the free lunch buffet with no intention of dances unless really impressed by the gal. I will go in, take a nice steak dinner, watch the show, and a gal will come sit with me after lunch. Then a little fun convo with her along with some mileage. This strategy works best in a club where business has been slow and high ration of dancers to coustomers. As always YMMV.

When they realize its a dry well they say "Well I have to go to the ladies room." If they hit you with drinks you can take a beating but be sure to get some mileage too.
  • gk
    14 years ago
    Usually two songs and they're gone. But if I'm not spending, I usually let them know if it's in my regular club. If it's a place I've never been or go infrequently and Im not spending, (not likely, however) I might just let them work to measure their style.
  • Prim0
    14 years ago
    If I'm there, I'm spending. I only hate it when the ugly aggressive sort wont take a hint. That's when I have to go smoke or hit the head. I'll give any decent looking dancer a shot at a dance...hell, some of my best dances came from the less than top shelf talent anyhow.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion