tuscl

Strip club muggings - common or not?

I was victim of attempted mugging at a recent visit to a club in Toronto. I got lucky in the fracas and survived with body and wallet intact. I am old, slow, and fat and no longer have the goods to back up my aggressive nature. What do you other older guys do to avoid this crap? I am Canadian and our gun control laws prevent me from packing.

18 comments

• samsung1
    14 years ago
    Considering I usually never carry over $1,000 in my wallet and knowing I can call credit cards to report it stolen, I would probably not fight back and just cooperate. Now if the mugger looked like a drunk then I would maybe try to attempt to get away but if he was serious then I would not risk my life to fight over money.
  • Rod8432
    14 years ago
    Farmerant - Was this in the club, the parking lot, or nearby?

Samsung - I love your new avatar. She's so sexy and natural; reminds me of girls I've seen at Black's Beach near San Diego.
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    Parking lot of adjoining building.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    regarding packing, here in the states in most places you can't legally pack if you have been drinking, and in ohio you can't carry a gun into any place that serves alcohol whether you are drinking or not. a carry permit does you no good if you want to remain legal. i used to keep a gun in my car when out bar hopping but now that i have a permit and the law knows it i leave my gun at home when out drinking.
    regarding muggings, they aren't common but they do happen. there are several ways to avoid them. always watch your surroundings and be carefull where you go, if you have a bad feeling about a certain area, avoid it. if you're not comfortable in a club that you've already entered, leave. don't act like a victum but tone down the aggressive attitude and channel it into a confident attitude.
    drop some weight, get in better shape. i'm an older guy too but i'm still fit with with zero fat. i remember you saying that you're retired so take some of that free time and work out, you'll feel and look better and you'll have a better chance of defending yourself if a bad situation does come up.
  • Rod8432
    14 years ago
    What would happen if a muggee were to just bolt and run? If done suddenly, and especially to an occupied place like the club or a store, etc., what's the mugger going to do? Run after him? Shoot him in the back?

I did this one time. I was on the ground behind my car and as the mugger was rummaging through my glove box, I got up and ran. He stole my car, but never came after me.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Saw an 'officer friendly' video some years back which advocated carrying a 2nd wallet, full of nothing. The idea is to throw what the crook wants in one direction and high-tail it in the other (or back inside the club.)

I'd suggest (if one knows they're heading into a dicey area) sacrificing a few singles into the 'throw away' wallet such that they show visibly -- if the crook sees some bills, he may figure he's got the dough and not be as concerned about your departure.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    farmerart said "I am old, slow, and fat and no longer have the goods to back up my aggressive nature."

Move to Texas. Canada is no place for an old fart (too freakin cold).
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    Dudester: One contract near Midland in the 70s and too many business trips to Houston are all the Texas I need in my life. I've got my pieces of heaven in the Alberta foothills, Vancouver, and the Cote d'Azur.
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    farmerart, give me a break. Vancouver, Calgary? I have been to both. YVR was so boring that I had to leave and fly down to SFO for some fun. I have a TUSCL buddy, trojangreg that got relocated from ATL to YVR. He says the clubs suck there. I arrived in YYC during the winter. When they opened the cabin door, the cold wind came rushing in. I was ready to leave right then. I also made a trip to Brantford, Ontario with friends. It was early OCT and was freezing. They have family there but now live in Pensacola FL. He says that he is never going to move farther north than I-10. Burrrrrr.
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    Back to the original question. I dunno. it depends on the circumstances. I am fit for my age and would defend myself physically but guns are another question.

I agree that knowing your surroundings is important. I have driven to check out a new club and then just kept on driving. Too ghetto looking. I am also concerned about the safety of my car.
  • TimboAtl
    14 years ago
    I got mugged at a club in Flint, MI in 1990. Mugged on way out, not way in, how smart are criminals anyway? Got about $100 and all my credit cards. Your demeanor and thinking changes when you have a gun in your gut. Felt very relieved when the thugs ran the other way with my wallet. Mugged while I was getting into my car, guess they could have took car keys and car too.
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    That is scary Tim.

FYI, I have met Tim several times. He is 6'7" and about 250lbs. I wouldn't fuck with him but guns do talk!
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    farmerart, you know the answer already, just focus on your surroundings, know who or what is in your area and have your keys ready to get into your car. We have several clubs here in the city of Detroit proper, that you need to know what's going on, it carries over wherever I gol
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    FA: The advice about paying attention to your surroundings is sound. Against a gun, you're pretty much at their mercy unless they stupid. The trick is not to be caught out in the first place, but as you experienced, that's easier aid than done.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Timbo,
    You're right - in the news stories the guy is always getting robbed in the parking lot when he's LEAVING the club - which doesn't make sense - who has much cash when he's done clubbing? I'm lucky if I have enough for the dollar menu at Wendy's on the way home.
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    It is not so easy for me to make the judgments you guys are suggesting. I am completely new to this "sport". My past history gives me no help either. I used to carry a pipe wrench with me when I went into certain bars and clubs looking for absent drunk or otherwise recalcitrant employees. I was also thirty years younger.
  • SnakePlissken
    14 years ago
    Buy mace is all I can suggest. Knives aren't a good way to go, pretty much everybody will get cut in a knife fight unless one person is phenomenally better than the other.
  • troop
    14 years ago
    i'm guessing that muggers go after peeps leaving the club because they might figure that the guys might be drunk and offer less resistance, of course that doesn't always play out that way because often drunks are more violent.
    in yesterday's local news a guy going to a regular bar was approached in the parking lot by another guy flashing a gun. the 1st guy said if i give you 20 dollars will you leave me alone and the 2nd guy took the 20 and ran.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion