tuscl

(Off Topic) Need Advice-How to Deal

Okay, so my Manager has some good managerial skills (administratively speaking), but when it comes to operations, she is a flat zero. She considers me the great, all seeing, all knowing Oracle of operations. When a high rise loses power and/or water, I know how to troubleshoot and fix the problem. With that said:

On Saturday night, a call center that I have very little to do with, had a catastrophic software failure. I shrugged it off as there's nothing I can do about it. On Sunday morning, she called me and pissed in my Rice Krispies-big time. In the first place, I'm an Engineer, not a software engineer (HUGE Difference). She referenced an email she sent out three weeks ago.

This morning, my direct Supervisor found the email. The email was a conversation between people in the call center about who they would call in case of failure. The email had no instructions for me.

Am I correct in thinking this woman is out of control ?

8 comments

• CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    What's your direct supervisor's opinion of the manager, assuming they're not the same person?
  • wallanon
    14 years ago
    If there's a published call tree and you're not in it for a given issue, you should be fine. Of course there are exceptions to every rule. But...if it's not in your area of expertise then the grown folks in the loop should realize that, which then gets back to you should be fine.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    That she's over reacting because she got caught with her pants down (she should've set a policy instead of just forwarding the conversation).
  • winorhino
    14 years ago
    Shit runs downhill, as they say. So she dumped on you to cover her own ass. I think you have two solid points to your argument. One, you are not on the call list, and two, even if you were, you are not a software engineeer. So, you couldn't do anything even if you were called. Okay, you could shut down the service, and if there were data corruption, stop that, but nothing else.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    So the call center couldn't find a copy of the call tree or the 3-week old email, but they knew that you had a reputation for handling operational problems efficiently, so, with no other resources, they contacted you. Even though you aren't supposed to be(or required to be) in that loop, would it have made sense for you to forward an indication that there was a problem to someone who you thought could handle that situation?

Sounds like the Manager isn't a very good team builder.
  • gk
    14 years ago
    Wrong question.

The better question is--'hat's the politics of this situation?' Figure that out and you'll find all the clues you need to make better decisions.

You and your supervisor need to find out which of these applies to your manager:

--playing CYA because she needs help?
    --looking for a scapegoat?
    --can harm you or threaten your job?
    --what's her "win" and can you deliver it to her and benefit yourself?

If you fix something and make her look good, she will recognize you as a problem solver and you add that feather to ;your reputation. Plus she is now indebted to you.

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    Thanks gk

--playing CYA because she needs help? Yes, she's all about self preservation and she'd throw her own mother under a bus to keep her job.

--looking for a scapegoat? mmdv26 is right, the Manager isn't a very good team builder. She's actually a clique buider who should be only an administrator, not a person with contact with others.

--can harm you or threaten your job? Actually, she could fire me anytime she wants, but she needs me. I know our buildings better than anyone. I not only train entry level people at our company, I also train Supervisors. A couple of years ago, I tried to give notice, but she grew pale as I told the Regional Coordinator I wanted out. So, they allowed me to create my own position.

--what's her "win" and can you deliver it to her and benefit yourself? In creating my own position, one of the side things I do, in addition to being a "Shift Supervisor", I'm also the account manager on a 2.6 million dollar a year account, on a company that does a vital service for our client. That's a great thing to include on a resume. I'm also the reports administrator. My win-in about four years, our client will be undertaking a massive move. I'll be supervising much of the move. Her danger to me-in about two years, she's going to be replaced. If she perceives me a threat between now and then, she'll push me out (she's eliminated every possible threat to her over the years).
  • dallas702
    14 years ago
    Hey Dude,

Time to get agressive. Thank everyone who called on you "for thinking of me as possible help in a tough situation." Talk to the CYA Bit.. Boss about letting you write the plan (whatever plan that is). Mention to her boss that you offered.

Smile at everyone like you know stuff that will put you on top. Act like you are the winner in this (and the next) situation. Do not pass on any future "jobs" that are out of your skill set, but DO make sure that you clearly explain that you are on the job because you solve problems not because you know that skill.

And remember - if your boss thinks that you DO and WILL cover her ass she will not try to screw you over.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion